Best audio on the cheap

Tarrosion

Weaksauce
Hey,

Right now my computer audio is the speaker built into my monitor, and while I'm certainly no audiophile - more than that, I'm probably not particularly discerning - even I would like some better sound.

I have a budget of $30-$50 and I'm wondering what the best sound I can get in that range is. I say "sound" because I'd be happy with [sufficiently comfortable, possibly wireless] headphones or speakers. I don't need a mic for gaming, and I don't need enough volume to wake the neighbors up.

My usage is probably
60% music (lots of classical, some classic rock, a little bit of modern popular music)
30% gaming
10% movies and T.V. shows

I know high quality speakers run way more than my price range, but I also know I'm not discerning enough for them to be worth it.

Thanks,
Tarrosion

Edit: I should add that I looked around a bit for a similar thread; if there is one I missed, feel free to point me there.

For that kinda money you'll get either crap speakers or some decent headphones, I'd opt for the latter (forget about wireless tho). You can get some cheap speakers that will be louder than your TV, but that's about all they'll be. As for headphone recommendations, the pair I use for gaming is easily found for $35 and is usually a good recommendation up to $50 even... JVC HA-RX700, just don't overpay, they can be found for closer to $35 than $50.

Jvc is a good one. So are a few others. Including the Samnson SR850 which is a great deal btw. Compares to many $150+ headphones and is about $40-50

Fostex T20RP possible upgrade to T40/T50 and if needed this adapter
If you can't find one in the budget, option b) Monoprice Premium DJ Headphones - $22+s/h
Or Sennheiser HD201 - $20

Last edited:
get on your local craigslist. I picked up a set of logitech 5.1 speakers for $35

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I own fostex T20RP and vouch for very high sound quality and dynamic range. It would very hard to find anything decent in this price range, especially new.
Maybe the Genius speaker is not bad - i don't know - another option is Behringer MS16
Best deal is here - for $60
http://www.crispdeals.com/ProductDe...44&gdftrk=gdfV21146_a_7c364_a_7c4885_a_7cMS16

But I'd rather Ask Zzounds.com for a price match

I have them at my work pc and use them daily - you'd be surprised how good $60 speakers can sound.

Back