Best Audio for VR?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys!

Getting my Dk2 in next week, and think its about time I upgrade my audio to get the best VR experience. I only use my headphones for gaming. ( on occasion). I mostly play flight sims, Star citizen, and elite:dangerous. I do play RTS, and indie games occasionally. I know pricing for audio can get outrageous, so im looking for the best " bang for the buck" system. Extra points if its purchasable from best buy, as I get the employee discount there. ( Though I will still shop around) I'm not a fan of razer products. Im Currently using the first gen Corsair HS1 USB headphones. In addition I'm only using onboard audio so that would be the best place to start. I'm looking for excellent positional sound. Sound clarity and positional audio is paramount. I generally prefer a more refined sound then say beats audio. Something with a good full soundstage. Bass isnt too important unless its done well. The most important part is to get me in the game, so a nice clear punch is preferable to overly bassy or lackluster mids/lows.

I would prefer closed ear for this, as it would be more immersive.

It should also be able to fit comfortably with the DK2 on.

I know its sacrilege to say this, but do you think a wireless headset would be good for this situation?

I appreciate the help guys!

EDIT: Just wanted to add my speaker setup. Its a 2.1 Creative I-trigue L3500 I've had for quite a while. I use that for gaming/videos/ and music.
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-I-tr...peaker/dp/B0000ADY4L/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
REVIEW: http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/07/31/creative-i-trigue-l3500-review
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/17938,creative-i-trigue-l3500.aspx

double edit: looks like the ZXR and ZX are favorites. I like that its hardware accelerated and has a dedicated headphone amp. The ZXR is a bit pricy though. Is it worth it over the ZX?

hmmm. It seems best buy only carries the Creative - Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card and the Creative - Sound Blaster Z Sound Card. How much of an audio difference would I perceive with games? I'm willing to spend a bit more if needed but I may be able to get these for pretty cheap.

It seems that the positional audio with the Z is better. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you keeping the headset ? I would recommend that you upgrade to a Sennheiser 558 or 598 if u can. Pair them with a Soundblaster Z. That would be a pretty cost efficient setup that will sound very good. The headphone are not close, but give a great and neutral sound.

By the way, i don't think your 2.1 speakers are going to work well for vr

I had previously used a set of AH-D5000s as my driver in VR with the DK1. Around the time my DK2 shipped, I picked up a pair of nice IEMs. I had them molded because I don't like foam tips, they tend to fall apart on me.

the complete isolation with IEMs are awesome. Also, the headband doesn't disturb how the headphones sit and everything feels less cluttered.

That being said, technically the Denons stomp the TF10s I had molded,They are actual headphones. I do however prefer the IEMs.

I don't want to start tossing suggestions around, my actual experience in headphones doesn't expand beyond HD650s, HS595s, AH-D5000s, and some low tier IEMs as well as my new TF10 editions. What I am trying to say is the comfort of the IEMs and the extremely good seal makes me prefer hem over raw technical sound. It's much easier to feel removed from your space.

Back