Best Apps to block Win10 telemetry...

magda

2[H]4U
I need to upgrade to Win10 and I was wondering what are the best apps (paying or free) to help block Win10 spying, telemetry, etc.
I reckon it would be imposibble to block everything, but if it can block 90% is a start...

thanx

But why would you want to in the first place? It's meant to provide enhanced user experience. Besides, haven't you learned anything from watchdogs2, mate? Everyone data-mines you. Would you rather have a trusted source like Microsoft do it, or some shady app that promises the world?
Why? Because I haven't been answering Bill Gates´ calls lately, that bastard is a big stalker 😏

I will only use Win10 for work programs, Catia, Solidworks, etc

Possibly run the LTSC build; and maybe a PiHole on the network??
Pay more money to get rid of the spying, at least "officially" ? 🤔
I was planning on using PFsense, but MS rotates their telemetry servers, you can't block them all

Why? Because I haven't been answering Bill Gates´ calls lately, that bastard is a big stalker 😏

I will only use Win10 for work programs, Catia, Solidworks, etc

Pay more money to get rid of the spying, at least "officially" ? 🤔
I was planning on using PFsense, but MS rotates their telemetry servers, you can't block them all
I'd look into running them on Wine. I've managed to get multiple pro softwares running with Wine. Sometimes you just need to install a library or two such as ie, mfc42 or msjet database engine. The corefonts package installs the familiar Windows fonts.

Reactions: magda
like this
Considering some of Win 10 telemetry i recall even by passes the hosts file for reaching out, i am sure 3rd party apps don't stand a chance if MS wants info from you, disconnect it from the internet otherwise they are going to get it.

I'd look into running them on Wine. I've managed to get multiple pro softwares running with Wine. Sometimes you just need to install a library or two such as ie, mfc42 or msjet database engine. The corefonts package installs the familiar Windows fonts.
Considering some of Win 10 telemetry i recall even by passes the hosts file for reaching out, i am sure 3rd party apps don't stand a chance if MS wants info from you, disconnect it from the internet otherwise they are going to get it.
I'm considering going totally offline to use Win10
Or install Wine in my linux system...

Pi-hole is a good idea if you have a router provided or like using your unsecure off-the-shelf router. If you have (or would like) pfSense you can use pfBlocker and no need for Pi-hole. Using a DNS sinkhole is the best way for most of the telemetry, tracking, and other issues. But as you use these preventative methods the usability can get complicated. As an example, you may not be able to install a program due to it wanting to call home and its address is on a feed.

Pi-hole – Network-wide protection (pi-hole.net)

I need to upgrade to Win10 and I was wondering what are the best apps (paying or free) to help block Win10 spying, telemetry, etc.
I reckon it would be imposibble to block everything, but if it can block 90% is a start...

thanx
I use WPD and run it each time after I allow updates, I only use it to disable telemetry by firewall and disable apps/services for privacy (auto updates disabled in GPE). I also ran it and configured everything before I even connected the rig to the network.
https://wpd.app/

If you ever find a place you can buy a legit copy let me know.
You can't, my post was 100% sarcasm. The guy either pirated it or is using his work licensing on his home computer.

The only way to legally is you need an Enterprise agreement with Microsoft. You have to buy it as a business. That means your work devices have Windows Professional licensing (or Professional Upgrade) and then you pay an additional fee to gain access to Enterprise upgrade which includes access to LTSC/B.

Now, is it possible to have a "business" and buy it from NewEgg or CDW or whatever, yes, but that's not anymore legal than just stealing it IMO. It would be a few hundred bucks and you don't get the upgrade to the latest version without SA licensing which is a yearly agreement - or you just pay full price every couple years. No one is going to do that at home. At work we use SA (Software Assurance) which is a yearly fee to always have access to the latest versions and product keys but no one is going to do that at home for a pretend business.

Last edited:
You can't, my post was 100% sarcasm. The guy either pirated it or is using his work licensing on his home computer.

The only way to legally is you need an Enterprise agreement with Microsoft. You have to buy it as a business. That means your work devices have Windows Professional licensing (or Professional Upgrade) and then you pay an additional fee to gain access to Enterprise upgrade which includes access to LTSC/B.

Now, is it possible to have a "business" and buy it from NewEgg or CDW or whatever, yes, but that's not anymore legal than just stealing it IMO. It would be a few hundred bucks and you don't get the upgrade to the latest version without SA licensing which is a yearly agreement - or you just pay full price every couple years. No one is going to do that at home. At work we use SA (Software Assurance) which is a yearly fee to always have access to the latest versions and product keys but no one is going to do that at home for a pretend business.
Same like many people used 'Technet' keys thinking they were legit. In reality they're licensed for evaluation use only, they're not intended to be used at anyones home.

Back