Best apps for the iPad Air?

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
I went ahead and ordered an iPad Air this weekend for Black Friday (should arrive on Monday) ... I have an enormous number of iPad and iPhone apps already but are there any reference apps that really take the new processor and graphics chip out for a spin (and this is also my first retina model as my previous iPad was a gen 2) ... my iPad 2 was showing its age with lines running through the screen and always running out of space so I am looking forward to the new iPad ... suggestions on Apps?

The Infinity Blade series is quite fun. Max Payne is a good classic. I've really been enjoying "The Occupant."

If you are into art, Procreate. Just updated too. A pressure sensitive stylus is almost a must for it, though, like the Adonit Jot Touch Pro 4.

Thanks for the suggestions so far ... I actually have Procreate but will try reinstalling it when I get the new iPad ... I added IB3, MP, and the Occupant to my wishlist so I can grab them after the iPad arrives tomorrows ... with twice as much space I can reinstall some of my older titles I deinstalled for space (IB1 and 2, Bastion, and others) ... looking forward to retiring my old worn out iPad 2 tomorrow :)

If you want apps to take advantage of your Air, consider what the Air does better than the iPad 2 it replaced. Better display, faster processor, lighter weight. To me, that screams media and text.

Play games like Infinity Blade III and Final Fantasy IV. Use it for reading, with apps like Instapaper. Try out something unique like The Room.

You also get the iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, Garageband, etc) for free with a new iDevice, so you might as well download those and give them a spin.

If you want apps to take advantage of your Air, consider what the Air does better than the iPad 2 it replaced. Better display, faster processor, lighter weight. To me, that screams media and text.

Play games like Infinity Blade III and Final Fantasy IV. Use it for reading, with apps like Instapaper. Try out something unique like The Room.

You also get the iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, Garageband, etc) for free with a new iDevice, so you might as well download those and give them a spin.

Will do ... I have lots of business travel in December so I will get lots of time in airplanes, airports, and hotel rooms to try it out ... I have literally worn out my 2 so I am definitely looking forward to the Air :D

I have been busy setting up my new iPad Air which arrived yesterday evening (it looks very nice so far but I haven't been able to put it through its paces yet :) ) ... I downloaded a few of the apps folks have suggested but probably won't get to play with them much until my trip the rest of this week ... I have the other apps in my wishlist and will grab them as time and budget permit ... thanks for all the suggestions and feel free to post any others you think of :D

Didn't realize until today that my iPad Air has the M7 Processor.
Isn't the M7 kinda useless in an iPad? Is there anything out there that takes advantage of it?

M7? Are you sure you're not thinking of a BMW? The chip in the new iPad Air is finally fast enough for the device to feel like a "real" computer. So I don't see it as a waste.

M7? Are you sure you're not thinking of a BMW? The chip in the new iPad Air is finally fast enough for the device to feel like a "real" computer. So I don't see it as a waste.

He's talking about the M7 coprocessor in the new iPad and iPhone.

He's talking about the M7 coprocessor in the new iPad and iPhone.

I thought he got it mixed up with a highway in the UK... :D

Anyhow, this is a good question. What exactly does the M7 coprocessor do for the iPad? I've read what it can be used for on the 5S/5C (fitness apps), and processing driving data. So, there is one answer to that question... it's useful for navigation (even if you only have a WiFi version, as long as it is tethered to your iPhone). Some other uses are indoor mapping. As far as collecting data for fitness apps, not so much. I don't walk anywhere with my iPad, let alone run or do Pilates with it. So what apps at present can make use of it besides Google Maps or Apple Maps?

I can see a use for it in IT mapping WiFi signal strength. The Air is a lot easier to carry (and lighter) than a net book. I can also see it being useful for things like geocaching and augmented reality games. It's also likely that Apple is using its data (from the phones) in stores with their new iBeacon tech (which I read on Mac Rumors) was used at CES for a scavenger hunt.

The real question is... What is currently out there making good use of the M7 on the iPad?

Back