Best Anti Virus Suite for Windows 7 that is paid for?

No, its still able to be disabled.

I was able to disable it on two computers, but on three other computers, the popup continued despite all of the methods posted on the internet to disable it. I don't know why the methods are inconsistent.

So I switched to MSE, which has no popups.

At one time yes....but definitely not anymore.

Yeah, was "OK back in version 6 days when there weren't many other decent free options. Definitely not "/thread" material. Easily surpassed by many other brands which are lighter, superior detection, superior removal, etc.

No no, it's /thread because AVG locked up his machine right after he posted. Seriously, that company shit the bed with v.8, I was looking forward to it too.

FWIW, there's already a Win7 compatibility patch out for Norton Internet Security 2009 (and the 360 suite IIRC), they tested it for a long time thru the RC process... No need to wait for the 2010 version if that's what you're after. I've used NIS on my family's systems for a long time and never had any major issues with it, it's come and gone from my main rig for performance reasons... The 2004-2006 versions were complete performance hogs, but it's been steadily improving since then and 2009 was a huge leap forward IMO, I've gone back to using it personally. I think it really built a bad rap 4 years ago that it no longer deserves. /shrug

I didn't have any issues with the latest patch either (the one that borked some people's computers and was linked on the front page). You can set NIS to not disturb you or run any scans whenever full-screen apps are running (it's set like that by default I believe), as you can with most modern AV apps... And you can even force a manual 'Silent Mode' where it really won't do anything non-essential at all (not even download updates) while said mode is active (you set the time interval). That kinda crap seems frivolous to me if the program is well designed and you know what you're doing, but since the OP asked...

For clients and friends I used to recommend AVG in the past but as others alluded to... I has really gone downhill, so I've opted for Avira AntiVir lately. Tried Avast but I just didn't like the look and default config (sounds dumb but a lot of people balked at the gimmicky look and those voice-over prompts, and I'm not always there to turn that crap off or tell 'em how to).

For some reason, in my Vista, Avira is never recognized as an AV in my security center. So I get the notification in Vista and my WHS that my computer may be at risk. Thanks for that MSE link, I'm going to try that out.

Thanks for the MSE suggestion everyone, it actually found virus's that comodo was missing.

avg 8.5 free /thread
I'm going to re-open this thread. Last time I installed AVG on a system it slowed it down significantly. Simply removing it and installing MSE made web browsing noticeably quicker since there was not bloated scanners in between the web and the UI.
Thanks for the MSE suggestion everyone, it actually found virus's that comodo was missing.
I once scanned a system with MalwareBytes and it found 4 items. Before cleaning, I used MSE and it found almost 2 dozen. It's a good product :) Definitely not a replacement for MB but a good dynamic scanner to use in between monthly sweeps of MB.

Is it possible to have MSE be an on demand only kinda thing? I would liek to try it out but I don't want to uninstall NOD32 =/

Is it possible to have MSE be an on demand only kinda thing? I would liek to try it out but I don't want to uninstall NOD32 =/
You can uncheck a box to disable real time (dynamic) protection as as uncheck a box to disable scheduled scanning. You can even go into your system start-up (via msconfig) and uncheck the box to run on boot. I would suggest at least allow it to run on boot, that way you can use the right click context menu to select the scanner to check individual files.

Having two AV apps installed at the same time = nightmares of epic proportions, whether they're set to auto-protect or not. Best solution is one or the other, or use a VM with some version of Windows and put MSE in that...

It shouldn't be a big deal to uninstall NOD32 and give MSE a try. If you don't want to do that, try the VM idea that was suggested. MSE is free, so there's no harm in installing it on multiple computers.

been using nod32 at the office for 3 years now, been great

norton is crap, resource hog as well.

I know you're not asking for a free one, but Avira Free is better than any paid ones I've tried.

norton is crap, resource hog as well.

Honestly not anymore, last year they totally..100% reworked their products from the ground up. And I'm stating this as someone who spent the past 6 or more years bashing Symantec/Norton at every opportunity I had. Their detection rates are actually up in the top several brands, removal rates in the top several brands, and it's one of the lightest out there both memory and CPU wise. Under 8 megs of RAM now...yes..under 8 megs. It's lighter than even old NOD32 version 2.7 which usually rang in around the mid twenties in megs, and their NOD ver 4 is what, 48 megs?

avg works better than other products i've used. In fact, we use it on our corp lan when trend micro isn't making the cut (which is 100% of the time). It catches things Trend Micro has no idea is installed. avast, trend, mcafee, norton, all bloated and cantankerous...

You're supporting AVG (and trend Micro) and putting down Nortons? "Man, screw that Audi, I have a KIA!"

*sigh*

it'l all be moot because Microsoft has decided to include its own full AV suite in the coming months.

You're supporting AVG (and trend Micro) and putting down Nortons? "Man, screw that Audi, I have a KIA!"

*sigh*

Norton is more like a Geo Metro than an Audi, except with the same price tag.

+1 for NOD32. It's like a ninja AV that kills everything silently. Only con is that it's not free.

+1 for NOD32. It's like a ninja AV that kills everything silently. Only con is that it's not free.

MSE is turning out to the be the Sensei that taught NOD32's ninjas their talents... it's still hard to believe it works as well as it does, as it's from Microsoft but, as I said several times in different posts so far, if anyone could do AV/malware software right on Windows, it really should be Microsoft since they know their OS better than anyone else ever could.

Regardless, MSE is amazing stuff so far... and of course, it being free (when it's released) is just another huge plus... ;)

I've seen the new Norton for like 30 seconds, and it really did feel like they were getting the right idea. My one question though, before even remotely thinking about recommending Norton, is if they still make it nearly impossible to disable features/uninstall. I haven't used it since I was a comp noob, but I feel like I distinctly remember that being what pissed me off the most about it.

it'l all be moot because Microsoft has decided to include its own full AV suite in the coming months.

They're not including bupkis, as far as I know it'll always be an optional download. They'd run into all the same complaints that they did with IE otherwise. That being said, MSE is pretty strong.

I've seen the new Norton for like 30 seconds, and it really did feel like they were getting the right idea. My one question though, before even remotely thinking about recommending Norton, is if they still make it nearly impossible to disable features/uninstall. I haven't used it since I was a comp noob, but I feel like I distinctly remember that being what pissed me off the most about it.

I never experienced that with NAV or NIS, even when the product was a horrible performance hog during the '04-06 versions. IIRC 2006-2007 got kinda messy as far as configuring tho since there were several different config windows for the AV, firewall, etc and it wasn't properly organized. They've improved that a ton since then tho and, as with most everything else about their product, it saw the biggest improvement in 2009.

You can turn anything and everything off, and the help file that you can call up for every single item is written in plain English that most neophytes can understand so it's got a leg up on many/most of the free alternatives in that regard.

The uninstall could be pretty painful a few years ago but it's smooth sailing these days, I've even installed it over my network unto my netbook in 5 min. flat. Honestly, they've literally improved everything about it. Worst comes to worse their Norton Removal Tool can easily wipe every single trace of the program from your system if you need to do a clean install, tho I haven't needed to use that yet with '08/'09.

Back