Best and Worst Cities For Tech Jobs

What the what? Texas has its "own" power grid. Do we all wear straw hats and own cows to you or something?

To be fair they do still run cattle through downtown Fort Worth... :p

Your right though lots of energy, fuel, and tech companies rocking out here in the Texas area. I know everytime I update my Monster profile I get lots of calls about tech jobs. Granted 1/2 of them are shit tier 1 jobs..

Ha I work in Indianapolis and live in Carmel....but have a pretty good IT job...so meh.

We already have one of the highest percentages of workers with college educations in the world. No, we don't want out of towners ;)

Nothing dickish about it.

Its completely dickish. I have a masters so its not like hiring out of towners deludes Seattle's education statistics. I had to take a contract to get a Seattle Job on my resume before I received any call backs. I have a full time job now but would of like to avoid the 6 months of contract work.

I'd get honked at and flipped off all the time while driving.....until I switched to Washington Plates. I'll never be able to consider myself a native because I just can't seem to bring myself to be an asshole to people out of state.....or blame pretty much every problem on people from California.

I don't believe one bit that my town (Towson) is #1 on the list.

I can't find a job at all!!!!!

Dude there are a shit load of jobs around here. I believe Towson is listed because it's the northern most point of where you can really find tech jobs. Look a little further south and you'll see a boat load.

I'm surprised Columbus, Ohio isn't on there. Plenty of job listings for programmer- and BI-type positions here when I was looking around a month or so ago.

I'll confirm that Pittsburgh has a ton of IT jobs available - it's just that you have to realize you're going to make about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as you would elsewhere.

Keep in mind you can get a house for under 100k around here quite easily. Cost of living is extremely low in this area.

Its completely dickish. I have a masters so its not like hiring out of towners deludes Seattle's education statistics. I had to take a contract to get a Seattle Job on my resume before I received any call backs. I have a full time job now but would of like to avoid the 6 months of contract work.

I'd get honked at and flipped off all the time while driving.....until I switched to Washington Plates. I'll never be able to consider myself a native because I just can't seem to bring myself to be an asshole to people out of state.....or blame pretty much every problem on people from California.

I have lived in the Bellevue area in Washington State since I was a toddler. I almost never hear a horn honk. At anything, even though the traffic blows and the drivers suck. It's weird hearing the California thing since it's been a decade or so since I have heard anyone say that. Sorry you had to deal with that shit.

I'll confirm that Pittsburgh has a ton of IT jobs available - it's just that you have to realize you're going to make about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as you would elsewhere.

Keep in mind you can get a house for under 100k around here quite easily. Cost of living is extremely low in this area.

I'd only go if an ARM manufacturer moved their processor division to Pittsburgh and called it ARM-Pitts. ;) Really though, Pennsylvania in general is pretty nice.

Uh, did you have a Confederate flag flying too? People are actually really nice here. Sure, more than a couple employers prefer people with established work contacts in the area, but most of the people I work with are non-native and often not originally from this country.

I think there is something else at work here.

There's not a lot of technology in the southern states yet because people haven't really started to adopt office automation that then makes its way into households once it becomes commonplace at work. Until the south gets more reliable and more commonly available electrical power, this is probably going to stay true for the foreseeable future.

This is either the funniest or stupidest thing I've ever read on [H]. We're talking about the southern US, right?

In Huntsville as well. Tech jobs here are very common, especially on Redstone Arsenal. Have no idea how we ended up on the bad list. :confused:

I'm in Birmingham and I'm wondering how you guys got on that list. :confused:

Surprised not to see silicon valley given that they are in a tech boom right now.

Well, one of those cities IS my city...so I'm boned.
LOL, ditto. Worked for 3 companies in 4 years that have gone under. There are certainly IT jobs out there, but they're either crap level 1 jobs for minimum wage in retail or a call center, or they want every cert / experience under the sun, but aren't willing to pay for it.

Friend got a slew of resume hits / job interviews (and a couple of good job offers) just because he updated his city / state on Dice. Needless to say, he moved and got a new job :)

Not even 1 southern city like Texas? Where or how the fuck did they sample this?

I would have guessed it was because Texas (and a lot of southern states) keep trying to pull this shit:

"Fearful of Evolution, Texas GOP Looks to Ban Critical Thinking Education"

http://www.dailytech.com/Fearful+of...+Critical+Thinking+Education/article25070.htm

It's hard to have a real tech presence in a state that thinks science is a creation of the devil. I'm just saying, the south is retarded.

Interesting that Boulder, where IBM has a huge presence is a difficult place to get an IT job.

As I currently live in Boulder, without a tech job, I can say it does suck badly for this field. I use to be in IT for a while but the amount of bullshit I had to deal with got to be too much. A friend of mine just moved out to Pennsylvania for the same reasons but she wanted to stay in IT (she's a coder) but she couldn't find anything around here. Got an offer from out in Penn at $60k a year and jumped on it.

I have lived in Richmond VA for the past 22 years... there is NO tech sector here that can support this claim. I cant even buy a SSD here locally, I have to use Newegg or Amazon. There is no Fry's. The Best Buys here aren't. I would say that list is severely flawed.

Ok, I would not rely on this survey when looking for an IT job.

Regardless of location, most or all IT jobs want experience. If you're a new graduate, it will be hard to even land interviews. Most new grads are willing to relocate so there is no point in searching for an IT job based on its location.

Even with experience, when you look at the whole picture, location still doesn't help all that much. IT is notorious for age discrimination. Certain IT positions also attract candidates from foreign countries.

All the above is prevalent because there are too many IT grads. Jobs in the IT/tech sector do not grow proportionate to the growth in general population.

I have lived in the Bellevue area in Washington State since I was a toddler. I almost never hear a horn honk. At anything, even though the traffic blows and the drivers suck. It's weird hearing the California thing since it's been a decade or so since I have heard anyone say that. Sorry you had to deal with that shit.

Uh, did you have a Confederate flag flying too? People are actually really nice here. Sure, more than a couple employers prefer people with established work contacts in the area, but most of the people I work with are non-native and often not originally from this country.

I think there is something else at work here.

By no means is it the majority of the people I have encountered that are like this....and the effect is probably exacerbated because I come from Arizona where nobody has pride in their state/city, for good reason too.

In comparison to Phoenix the ethnocentrism of Seattle is quite noticeable. Its probably the same for other cities like New York as Boston as well though but I wouldn't know.

But who knows maybe someday I'll buy a Subaru slap on a huskies sticker and drive 5 under the speed limit too.

Remember where I thought it was bullshit that cities in Texas was ranked lower or not even listed?

Well, a CNBC article is out with a differing view http://www.cnbc.com/id/47818860 saying that Texas is actually the best state for business and 2nd place for technology and innovation (1st is New York)

Why are you so upset about texas not making the cut? Does everything have to turn into a dick-waving contest?

Why are you so upset about texas not making the cut? Does everything have to turn into a dick-waving contest?

It's okay to have pride in Texas. I've seen lots of those bumper stickers about being native born Texan or whatever. That kind of local pride helps people want to stay where they're born so they can work to improve conditions in their own home instead of heading north to take advantage of modern, significantly more advanced cultures in the Dakotas or even further south of them in Mexico City. We need people to stay there so they can work to bring civilized society down rather than leaving to find it elsewhere.

Hmm. I see that my town (Pittsburgh) is on the good list. Although I do complain about the long hours, I have been employed for over 15 years at the current Job (and the pay is good for the area) so I have not looked elsewhere. Google did contact me at one point but I really was not interested at that time.

The impression you give is that you're posting from somewhere deep inside the Alamo, draped in a lone star flag, eating chili from an upturned 10 gallon hat.

Pretty unlikely since Internet access is hit-or-miss (mostly miss) in that region unless you count major population centers. There's probably some line limitations, but analog phone modems are about the only way to communicate in some places.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe Texas is a state.

You are wrong!

texas_city.jpg

I'm also surprised about texas.

It has Texas Instruments, Freescale Semiconductors, Cirrus Logic, etc...

Lots of companies for engineers. And I've read how more companies are moving there too.

Back