Best AGP card out nowa days?

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
Title says it all, whats the best AGP card out these days? My situation: going to college and have come to realize that I don't need to spend money on building a powerful computer. So if anything i've decided to purchase an LCD monitor and a new video card.

My current setup:
a7n8x deluxe
amd xp 2500 + @ 2.2ghz
2x512mb Geil pc-3200
ATI 9800 Pro
ViewSonic G90fb

I'm completly comfortable with this system right now. I can play cs, cs:s, bf2, hl2/mods, dod:s, etc, etc. Bf2 and hl2 are at medium settings @ 1600x1200 and play very well - no lag. This is a very stable system. It has been very good to me :D To qwench my thirst to build another kickass computer, I want to buy a new video card.

I want to spend at most $200 on a video card, but less is best. Any suggestions?

Sticking with AGP, and better than what you have now...? Under $200?
No. Gotta change a parameter. Either price or architecture.
I do see a Connect3D Radeon X850PRO for about $226 or so shipped on Newegg.
7800GS is better bang for the buck, but they command a real premium now...like nearly $300.
Perhaps the used market is where it's at?

what do you all suggest I do? Increase my budget or stay with what I have? I suppose if I don't purchase a video card I can spend that on a better LCD. :p

I would buy an x800xl from ATI.com for $120. That will be a nice improvement. Otherwise, i would buy a pcie mobo and new proc, and get a $130 7600gt, that would give you even better performance.

MH

Buying a used 7800GT is also a possibility. I did for my wife a few weeks ago, under $200, too.
6800GT/Ultras also command a hefty price. Not sure why, newer cards spank them.

What about decreasing my standards a little bit (i know kinda sad when lowering a standard on an old technology ) to a card more in my budget? My friend had a 6800GT AGP and that looked pretty dang good, but I can't seem to find any of them.

EDIT: buying a new motherboard, cpu would be pointless for me in this situation, if I were to do that, I would just go all out and build a new gaming computer.

That card Smashed Ixnay dug up is looking pretty good for your budget. All that saved dough can go towards a better cooler and some overclocking! :D

MiG29TangentBoy said:
Buying a used 7800GT is also a possibility. I did for my wife a few weeks ago, under $200, too.
6800GT/Ultras also command a hefty price. Not sure why, newer cards spank them.
agp dawg

I have seen some used 7800GS's go for almost $200 in the FS forums here.

Other than that, I'd say a 6800GS/GT or X800XL/XT AGP (X850 if you can swing it) would be the other options in you budget, but they sure are scarce to find.

I have yet to see comparisons, but, I saw a 7600GS AGP card popup on newegg. If only they released AGP 7600GT's. Can you imagine how many 7600GT AGP cards retailers could sell? That is a huge market that has been abandoned, and if they could sell the 7600GT AGP for <$200 it would probably be the best AGP value.

Yeah but too bad that GS is almost $200, I would think they'd price the GT around $250 if the GS price is any indication.

I do agree though, I still have a Mobile AXP sitting around that could make for an decent lowend gaming box.
ep1taph said:
I have yet to see comparisons, but, I saw a 7600GS AGP card popup on newegg. If only they released AGP 7600GT's. Can you imagine how many 7600GT AGP cards retailers could sell? That is a huge market that has been abandoned, and if they could sell the 7600GT AGP for <$200 it would probably be the best AGP value.

Do you have any sources about 7600GT AGP models and their "impending" release? I have heard "soon" or "few weeks" even "next month" quite a few times now, and I see one AGP model of the 7600GS in existence and it's horribly overpriced to $150...

I just wish they'd get them out.

ep1taph said:
Do you have any sources about 7600GT AGP models and their "impending" release? I have heard "soon" or "few weeks" even "next month" quite a few times now, and I see one AGP model of the 7600GS in existence and it's horribly overpriced to $150...

I just wish they'd get them out.

http://www.itnewsonline.com/showstory.php?storyid=4739&scatid=3&contid=2

I suppose it will be as overpriced as AGP cards usually are these days but I'll probably buy one anyway.

850 PRO ... yuck, go with the x800XL if you can find it. 4 more pieplines, i just sold my old AGP x800xl for 125$, used it 6 months.

Ebay is flooded with used AGP boards w/ ppl still upgrading to pci-e.

7800GS ftw.

It's the best card for AGP and with a good OC it will last you for a while on current games. Otherwise I would go PCIe IMO.

Any speculation on what the core/mem speeds will be for the 7600GT AGP?

I can really tell the difference between when I have just a gig of DDR and when I have 1.5 gigs... you might want to consider getting an extra 512 stick.. just a suggestion

I can play cs, cs:s, bf2, hl2/mods, dod:s, etc, etc. Bf2 and hl2 are at medium settings @ 1600x1200 and play very well - no lag.

Then why the hell do you want a new videocard? I cant play bf2 @ 1600x1200 with MY setup and get a consistant +30fps.

7600 gs just launched im looking for some reviews and i find NOTHING mabe kyle and company could make a HUGE video card compairson article with agp and pcie cards low to mid to high end.

Blazin Trav said:
7800GS ftw.

It's the best card for AGP and with a good OC it will last you for a while on current games. Otherwise I would go PCIe IMO.
I second this notion. This is what I got to hold me off until Direct X 10 cards and new architecture for my next Vista build. It works wonders and overclocks like a dream, I love it. If you REALLY want the best AGP card there is....the Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ is the absolute fastest AGP card ever made, and it has 24 pipes!! Just a rebadged 7900GT with a PCI-e bridge chip for AGP. Goes for a hefty premium though. I bought my EVGA 7800 GS for like $250 after MIR at the Egg. Get one, but check ebay and F/S threads first.

MikeHunt988 said:
I would buy an x800xl from ATI.com for $120. That will be a nice improvement. Otherwise, i would buy a pcie mobo and new proc, and get a $130 7600gt, that would give you even better performance.

MH

Totally agree. You are in the same boat as me, aside from the fact u have more ram. I had a 9800pro and jumped on the ati.com deal for the x800xl. Probably the best vidcard for you, cause more would just be overkill since you will have a bottleneck elsewhere, might as well get sometihng that is the top for your system. The price is right but if this deal is not for you then save up and get a new pcie mobo and new proc along with a newer vid card. just my two cents. My pc is a lot better with my new card.

Powercolor/Sapphire X800GTOs can be found on Newegg for $130-150 and they're very good cards. AGP too.

Mr. Stryker said:
Powercolor/Sapphire X800GTOs can be found on Newegg for $130-150 and they're very good cards. AGP too.

Don't get the Powercolor... heard they can't be unlocked. I got an x800 gto from newegg and easily unlocked it. Some of the recent purchasers of this item from ebay are reporting that the cards are coming unlocked with 16 pipes. It went on sale yesterday for like $124.99.

When it's unlocked, it is exactly the same card as a x800xl agp.

So up to you whether you want one directly from ATI for $119 (someone has a $5 off coupon) that is refurbished or a new one for a little bit more.

I still think that an x800xl will be your best bet, save $80 to put towards a new system or getting another gig of ram. Thats prolly the winner, x800xl and a gig of ram. That would make for a killer $200 upgrade.

MH

EDIT: The refurb comes with the same ATI warranty as a brand new card, which is a plus. Also, when you flash/unlock the gto's doesnt that void the warranty? might be mistaken.

MikeHunt988 said:
I still think that an x800xl will be your best bet, save $80 to put towards a new system or getting another gig of ram. Thats prolly the winner, x800xl and a gig of ram. That would make for a killer $200 upgrade.

MH

EDIT: The refurb comes with the same ATI warranty as a brand new card, which is a plus. Also, when you flash/unlock the gto's doesnt that void the warranty? might be mistaken.

You can always unflash. Untraceable.

Alright, then its not so bad, but still, i think you would be better off with the x800xl

MH

Back