Best 775 Heatstink under $30

seiferoth10

Weaksauce
I'm looking to upgrade to a q6600 and a new motherboard a little into the new year, so I will be needing a shiny new heatsink. I will definitely be looking to overclock the q6600 to as far as it can go without a voltage increase. The one major caveat is that I have a "rebate card" from my new cell phone with $30 loaded onto it, so I'm looking to spend that for this heatsink. Has to be less than $30 because I can't load any more money onto this rebate card, so shipping and tax (I'm located in CA) have to be taken into account.

I will definitely be looking to overclock the q6600 to as far as it can go without a voltage increase.

A few possibilities I was looking at:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Rosewill RCX-Z775-SL
OCZ Vanquisher
OCZ Vendetta

Those were the ones I've been looking at. I really wanted a Xigmatek S1283, but I just can't seem to find it for $30 shipped, or I would've jumped on it already.

Additionally, I'm currently using a Thermalright Ultra-90 (not Ultima-90) with pushpins (I know...). I can also get a weaker heatsink to accompany this e4300 when it goes to my sister and a bolt thru kit for my Ultra-90. The e4300 will be run at stock for my sister, so cooling shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Any ideas welcome.

what makes that XIGMATEK cooler better than an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro? with the Artic I idle at 32 C and havent went over 41 C with both cores 100% loaded for 20 minutes. I dont have anything to compare it too though and I havent overclocked yet.

Just replaced Zalman 9500AT with Xigmatek S-1283/retention bracket. Been running about 4 hours now and have noticed no improvement over Zalman. Temps both @ idle and Prime load identical. Using AC paste, so may be some break-in, but so far, I'm not impressed, and the fan dampers were a PITB to get in.

Just replaced Zalman 9500AT with Xigmatek S-1283/retention bracket. Been running about 4 hours now and have noticed no improvement over Zalman. Temps both @ idle and Prime load identical. Using AC paste, so may be some break-in, but so far, I'm not impressed, and the fan dampers were a PITB to get in.

I'm a n00b, but wouldnt room temp have something to do with it also? IDK if you are taking temps from different days or same, etc.

^ Seconded.

Guys, he just said he can't afford the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. He lives in California so he'll have to pay tax on that HSF and the normal pricing already pushes him over the very strict budget of $30 on his card. Read the OP's post again.

what makes that XIGMATEK cooler better than an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro? with the Artic I idle at 32 C and havent went over 41 C with both cores 100% loaded for 20 minutes. I dont have anything to compare it too though and I havent overclocked yet.
The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 has more heatpipes and a better design that allows it to cool better than the AC Freezer 7 Pro.

@ seiferoth10
Anyway, go with the Vendetta HSF. It's the best choice out of those four HSF.

it's roughly $3 more with tax, it doesn't exactly kill the budget if you ask me. Get water the next 2 times you eat out, skip a vending machine, etc..

it's roughly $3 more with tax, it doesn't exactly kill the budget if you ask me. Get water the next 2 times you eat out, skip a vending machine, etc..

Reread the OP's post. The $30 is from a rebate card. He cannot add any more money to that rebate card. He wants to use that $30 rebate card to pay for the new HSF. Get it now?

Can never go wrong with the F7P.
yeah the Freezer seems like a good cooler for people like me that just want something simple and very easy to install yet cools much better than the stock cooler. I didnt do a whole lot of research but sites like anandtech praised the AC Freezer 7 Pro for being quiet, easy to install and actually being a darn good cooler for overclocking. obviously there are better ones out there but I wanted to keep it simple and easy for my first pc build.

I'm a n00b, but wouldnt room temp have something to do with it also? IDK if you are taking temps from different days or same, etc.

Ambient temps do make difference, but readings taken w/i 12 hours and there has been nominal change in outside and room temps. I'm going to reseat tomorrow and then give it a few days, before I make final judgment.

This particular CPU has been running warmer than I expected, which may have to do with it's CO stepping, or I just may have a "hot" CPU.

FYI-Hot to me is 37C idle and 60-65C Prime94-Blend.

FWIW, Microcenter has 2 locations in CA. (Silicon Valley and Orange County areas). If The Fates see fit maybe you live by one of them, and you can still have your S1283 (using rebate card + a few bucks for tax) :D
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288207#rebate

No experience with the others, but I notice the Vendetta looks alot like the Xiggy (except a 3 pin instead of 4 pin fan and differently shaped fins) - Doh! I see now it (along with the rest of those listed) is 92mm not 120mm like the Xig... Hopefully youre near a M/C :(

I'm looking to upgrade to a q6600 and a new motherboard a little into the new year, so I will be needing a shiny new heatsink. I will definitely be looking to overclock the q6600 to as far as it can go without a voltage increase. The one major caveat is that I have a "rebate card" from my new cell phone with $30 loaded onto it, so I'm looking to spend that for this heatsink. Has to be less than $30 because I can't load any more money onto this rebate card, so shipping and tax (I'm located in CA) have to be taken into account.

I will definitely be looking to overclock the q6600 to as far as it can go without a voltage increase.

A few possibilities I was looking at:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Rosewill RCX-Z775-SL
OCZ Vanquisher
OCZ Vendetta

Those were the ones I've been looking at. I really wanted a Xigmatek S1283, but I just can't seem to find it for $30 shipped, or I would've jumped on it already.

Additionally, I'm currently using a Thermalright Ultra-90 (not Ultima-90) with pushpins (I know...). I can also get a weaker heatsink to accompany this e4300 when it goes to my sister and a bolt thru kit for my Ultra-90. The e4300 will be run at stock for my sister, so cooling shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Any ideas welcome.

Given that critieria the AC Freezer 7 Pro is a decent choice. I'm using that same HSF to keep my E7200 @ 3.9Ghz with a max load temp of no more than 60ºC. Its not the greatest but its good and it fits into your budget

Back