Best 5700 XT so far for temps and noise?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
I can suffer to lose some frame rates, to keep the price from getting excessive, but i do want cool temps and low noise.

My current graphic card is an 480 and even with undervolting i basically have to chose between 75 to 80 degrees or having a leaf blower in my room (which doesn't even lower the temps all that much), and i've never been happy with either of which. Eventually i've settled with capping the fan at 40% no matter what temp and if the card fries than it fries.

My first choice was the XFX Thick II since it looked slick with a beefy cooler solution and at one point went as low as 449 euros on Amazon (for reference, Nitro+ is at 500) but apparently it's actually garbage?

What else is there?

I have the Gigabyte Gaming 5700XT and it's been great. After a few driver updates my BSOD issue went completely away and it's been rock solid. Temps creep into the low 80's, but I've left the default fan curve alone and don't really hear the fans spin up much. I don't have any regrets.

Looks like the Thicc is just a big empty shell with a way subpar cooling solution underneath. Someone has a thread on here with impressions on how great it is, but it looks a little silly now.

Seems like the information you seek is already in the video you linked.

I'm glad I bought a 2070S instead of waiting for these to mature. Seems like the same old song and dance for AMD board partners with sub-par cooling and noise. The best part is I don't have to choose between Freesync and horrible flickering now either.

I'm glad I bought a 2070S instead of waiting for these to mature. Seems like the same old song and dance for AMD board partners with sub-par cooling and noise. The best part is I don't have to choose between Freesync and horrible flickering now either.

wiepfnsdfvSFGSNINdncd YEAHHHHHHHHHHH........ yes. :(

i switched from amd to nvidia just because a good deal on an off crypto 1060 after a lifetime of amd cards... severely mixed feelings. i didnt know that bsod and crashing was a regular thing. i dont overclock or anything but with amd im not going to exaggerate but all my cards did crash once a week at least and then drivers always get better of course but my lowly 1060... ZERO of that. ZERO ZERO ZER ZERO ZERO ZERO problems. i think ive updated the drivers one time because the popup told me to do it.

i think ill always have amd CPUs, and ryzen is better than anything intel has right now... but i dont think ill ever buy amd again. i just didnt know that my experience wasn't normal. now realistically i am talking about 3 generations of amd cards since i was a teenager, so there are still some chances that i just had random bad experiences... but i read about the 5700 which i was tempted by a lot... and i think thats just the normal amd experience.

phjew,w,,, what a hot take. dont get the amd card. who cares about ratracing but just save another $100 and get nvidia friend.

i switched from amd to nvidia just because a good deal on an off crypto 1060 after a lifetime of amd cards... severely mixed feelings. i didnt know that bsod and crashing was a regular thing. i dont overclock or anything but with amd im not going to exaggerate but all my cards did crash once a week at least and then drivers always get better of course but my lowly 1060... ZERO of that. ZERO ZERO ZER ZERO ZERO ZERO problems. i think ive updated the drivers one time because the popup told me to do it.

i think ill always have amd CPUs, and ryzen is better than anything intel has right now... but i dont think ill ever buy amd again. i just didnt know that my experience wasn't normal. now realistically i am talking about 3 generations of amd cards since i was a teenager, so there are still some chances that i just had random bad experiences... but i read about the 5700 which i was tempted by a lot... and i think thats just the normal amd experience.

phjew,w,,, what a hot take. dont get the amd card. who cares about ratracing but just save another $100 and get nvidia friend.

I understand the feeling. Before these 5700 cards came out I had probably 20 different Vega cards and I could never be happy with them, always some kind of problem. Heat, the fans not working right, black screens and driver crashes, you'd get one driver version that worked good and then the next would be crazy again. I really tried to muddle through as I love my AMD stuff but I haven't even looked at the control panel since I put this card in. I just... stuck it in and it works. I never have to wonder if I need to go and switch off Freesync so I don't have a seizure, it just works. Didn't whats his face say that during the presentation?

I understand the feeling. Before these 5700 cards came out I had probably 20 different Vega cards and I could never be happy with them, always some kind of problem. Heat, the fans not working right, black screens and driver crashes, you'd get one driver version that worked good and then the next would be crazy again. I really tried to muddle through as I love my AMD stuff but I haven't even looked at the control panel since I put this card in. I just... stuck it in and it works. I never have to wonder if I need to go and switch off Freesync so I don't have a seizure, it just works. Didn't whats his face say that during the presentation?

i wish i had insight to AMD as a company. what is it going to take for them to fix this shortcoming thats been around for well over a decade? 500 more engineers? 800? 4000 engineers? what does it take to get this right? isnt there a few VPs that can be fired? im sure theyve all churned 5 times over at AMD. why cant they get their friggin drivers fixed? babies have grown to adults and countries have formed and fallen since their driver issues started. amd has had driver issues since before the pyramids and the inventions of the wheel. whats it gonna take whats it gonna TAKE??????

i wish i had insight to AMD as a company. what is it going to take for them to fix this shortcoming thats been around for well over a decade? 500 more engineers? 800? 4000 engineers? what does it take to get this right? isnt there a few VPs that can be fired? im sure theyve all churned 5 times over at AMD. why cant they get their friggin drivers fixed? babies have grown to adults and countries have formed and fallen since their driver issues started. amd has had driver issues since before the pyramids and the inventions of the wheel. whats it gonna take whats it gonna TAKE??????

I'm not holding a lot of hope for the GPUs unless they get a lot more R&D money, but I've been on Ryzen since the 1000 series came out and love the performance and price. Just upgraded to a 3700X recently and its awesome.

I have actually been super happy with my XFX THICC, non ultra (the cheaper one). It's core and hot spot temps are lots better than the Gigabyte Gaming OC I had while being quieter. That being said if the MSI Gaming X, Red Devil, Nitro+ or Strix were available at the time, I would have went with one of those, with my preference being the Nitro+ just because I prefer Sapphire usually when given a choice with MSI second as their Gaming X series cards have usually been great at cooling and quiet.

Temps after playing Borderlands for quite a while using the new XFX bios in a 20-21C room and Corsair AIR 540 case. Power Limit @ +25%, memory 1900. Left clocks and voltage alone. Slightly modified fan curve. Fans averaged around 47%, which is very quiet. I know the XFX is not as good as the top tier cards, but my experience sure seems better than what Gamers Nexus had in terms of performance. Peak temps did hit 74/92C (wattman), but averages of 72/87 at moderate fan seem pretty decent at such a acceptable fan speed.

gaming_temps_xfx.png

Last edited:

I feel you but the global market is out of whack and some of us have no choice:

https://www.amazon.it/SAPPHIRE-Puls...Ñ&keywords=5700+xt&qid=1569999872&s=pc&sr=1-5
https://www.amazon.it/Gigabyte-GeFo...ŽÕÑ&keywords=2070+super&qid=1569999894&sr=8-4

And the 5700 XT is only slightly slower than the 2070s.

If the price difference was only 50 euros ok, but 130+? Damn boi.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can suffer to lose some frame rates, to keep the price from getting excessive, but i do want cool temps and low noise.

My current graphic card is an 480 and even with undervolting i basically have to chose between 75 to 80 degrees or having a leaf blower in my room (which doesn't even lower the temps all that much), and i've never been happy with either of which. Eventually i've settled with capping the fan at 40% no matter what temp and if the card fries than it fries.

My first choice was the XFX Thick II since it looked slick with a beefy cooler solution and at one point went as low as 449 euros on Amazon (for reference, Nitro+ is at 500) but apparently it's actually garbage?

What else is there?

look through GN's reviews, look at the normalized 40dba and then stock fan speed temps.. basically anything that runs warmer at stock settings than the 40dba means that the fans by default run under 40dba which pretty much all of them but the THICC and i think evoke do. the nitro+ isn't a bad card at all, it's just not a flagship card based on the PCB since it's missing 2 of the 10 available VRM's.. maybe there's a plan for a toxic card or something, no one knows. is it worth the higher price tag than the pulse? probably not unless you're deadset on the look of the card. that being said if i was planning on buying a 5700XT i'd either go with the pulse or nitro and if you're watercooling only buy the reference card since AMD went insanely overboard on the components used.

The best cooler in terms of noise and temps is the one on the Sapphire Nitro+, followed by the PowerColor Red Devil and the MSI Gaming X.

Among the "cheap" cards, the PowerColor Red Dragon is best (XT and non-XT have the same coolers). The Sapphire Pulse is mediocre, and the Gigabyte Gaming OC is somewhere in between.

Do not bother with the ASUS, ASRock or XFX cards, or the MSI Evoke.

One question i have. I've been looking at various benchmarks, and in many of them the 5700 XT goes neck and neck with the 2070 Super, where as in others it goes neck and neck with... the 2060 Super.

What am i missing here?

AMD has always had a bad rap with their drivers, but IMHO a lot of that carries over from the early ATI days, when the drivers truly were horrible. Yes... I'm going to go back and refer to the Rage3D / Rage 128 days. ATI had such bad drivers back then, with very poor 3D performance that unfortunately it just stuck to their image over the years, which also carried over to the AMD branding which used the Radeon name. Personally, I don't recall the last time I had issues with AMD drivers, and recently running a 5700 XT, installed the drivers from early Sept... zero issues. I've run almost every generation of ATI / AMD card since the beginning, from the Mach64 - Rage3D days, early Radeon days, X1900XTX, 6850... etc, and while I'm sure I've had issues, it's nothing that was so bad I remember it. People too soon forget that Nvidia has had it's own issues, just google Geforce Driver issues from over the years.

Another reason for the bad rap, is due to the fact Nvidia pays game dev's to optimize the cards for their line. Now it's possible that isn't as prevalent in recent times, but the marketing damage is done. When you're as large as NV, with the kind of money they have, you can pay big $$ to have the newest AAA optimized for your cards. I'm not blaming all of the drivers issues on that, but it is a large part, and IMO the reason why their drivers get a bad rep. It sort of became general knowledge that after a AAA game was released, you'd have to wait a few months before AMD / ATI got their drivers up to the performance level of what Nvidia was pulling in the game. Take that, add in some crashing, and all of sudden your drivers have a horrible rep, and that bad image doesn't disappear over night, if ever.

I'm not AMD bias, I currently run a 2070S and don't have any issues either, but for the week I had the 5700XT, I couldn't tell the difference. Everyone's experience is going to be unique, because all of us have completely different configured PC's. For everyone who reports their 5700 crashed, you can probably find 5 who haven't had issues. I have had A LOT of Nvidia drivers errors in the past "nvidia driver has stopped responding.... etc", but I've also had a lot of good experiences with their cards. I just think AMD has a bad rep from the above mentioned, and unfortunately for them, you can't easily shake that over night.

I am aware the first Navi drivers released had issues, and again, whatever was the cause, sucks for AMD because that only serves to bolster that bad image and driver reputation they've carried over the years. AMD can't really afford to trip up with their drivers, Nvidia on the other hand already has the market, so it doesn't matter if they set your card on fire. Ask anyone random and they'll probably say they prefer a Geforce card, because they've "heard" that Geforce just works better with games. Doesn't matter how much truth there is to that, now or in the past, but the marketing, paid optimization damage is done, and carries on with generations of cards.

Done my morning rant. :)

Last edited:
One question i have. I've been looking at various benchmarks, and in many of them the 5700 XT goes neck and neck with the 2070 Super, where as in others it goes neck and neck with... the 2060 Super.

What am i missing here?
Underlined the relevant word in your post. it's due to variations in games/programs and how they are utilized. We could cherry pick benchmarks and show a 5700 XT outpacing even the 2080 in Vulkan API. (clicky) Or we could show some benches where the 5700 XT fall far behind. Thing to take away is do your research and see which offerings do best in the games that *you* want to play.

What else is there?

The absolute best 5700XT board is the MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr. It has the lowest temps and best performance of any other 5700XT card. It has a massive heat sink and is the heaviest duty of the cards out there.

I bought a reference MSI 5700XT for fun.
It is a good GPU for what it does.
It's as good as the middle of the nvidia lineup, which is exactly what AMD planned on.
I haven't had a single issue with the GPU or drivers.
I did put a waterblock on it.
I have it overclocked to 2100 MHz and it runs fine there.

The absolute best 5700XT board is the MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr. It has the lowest temps and best performance of any other 5700XT card. It has a massive heat sink and is the heaviest duty of the cards out there.

I do not agree with this, I think the Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro + is the best. :)

I'm not holding a lot of hope for the GPUs unless they get a lot more R&D money, but I've been on Ryzen since the 1000 series came out and love the performance and price. Just upgraded to a 3700X recently and its awesome.

their cpus are amazing this gen. i have a ryzen 2600 and my experience couldnt be more different than my old fx-6300(which was a slow ass toaster oven). right now the patrician setup is ryzen cpu with an nvidia card. in my humble correct opinion

Unless you live in a third world country where the price of Nividia cards are way out of proportion with their AMD counterparts, like me.

Brazil doesn't use euros m8

my bad, didn't see his earlier post. So probably Eastern Europe maybe, either way in some places around the globe I could definitely see NV cards being priced out of proportion to the AMD equivalents.

my bad, didn't see his earlier post. So probably Eastern Europe maybe, either way in some places around the globe I could definitely see NV cards being priced out of proportion to the AMD equivalents.

Italy, where Nvidia cards are a solid 100-150 euros more than their AMD counterparts. I know there's some countries however where it's actually the other way around, or at any rate AMD cards are more expensive instead. This global situation is pretty bizarre. Ever since the bit coin boom we entered a kind of twilight zone where even now after the crash prices are still all over the place.

Look at the top coverage of the VRAM modules. I don't trust MSI after the Evoke.
Its mentioned, but doesnt make much of a difference (1-2c) in vram temps. Overall, still a solid design.

I read posts like this all the time, and it really doesn’t match my experience ever since the Catalyst driver hit the market back in the day. Like I ran an R9 280X for almost 6 years with a heavy overclock (1150/1650) and had zero problems of note. Now I’ve gone to Nvidia and I’m running a GTX1070Ti and regularly get crashes in Civilization 6, which is pretty common for Nvidia cards based on what I’m reading (and incredibly annoying).

They both cost a lot though, close enough to the 2070 super to make one consider getting that instead.

The strix is the best. Point blank period. Nitro, gaming and red devil are all in that second class. That second class are all really great cards and you can’t go wrong with any of them. I went with the red devil.

I agree for the price of the strix, the 2070s starts to look really good.

Too bad you are wrong. It is a close second. Overall the MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr is quietest and as cool as the Sapphire.

Wrong!?!?! Why, I ought ah....... :D Nope, not wrong at all. Hey, next thing I know, you will tell me it is faster, although they are all more or less the same, performance wise.

Running Radeon Software 19.9.2, ancient R9290
Haven't had any video driver problems, DooM (2016), TF2 mostly.

edit: not the ideal test case but.. shrug. Any new driver can be hit or miss on new hardware - Nv or AMD from my experience.

Last edited:
The strix is the best. Point blank period. Nitro, gaming and red devil are all in that second class. That second class are all really great cards and you can’t go wrong with any of them. I went with the red devil.

I agree for the price of the strix, the 2070s starts to look really good.

strix is a halo product just like the crosshair formula.. is it good? yes.. is it practical? hell no.. is it worth the price? not a chance.. every single other card does exactly what the strix does with more cost effective components.

Wrong!?!?! Why, I ought ah....... :D Nope, not wrong at all. Hey, next thing I know, you will tell me it is faster, although they are all more or less the same, performance wise.

NO I will not claim that there is a performance difference, as they all have limited overclock headroom. So you underestimated my knowledge and you can not show the Sapphire have lower noise and better thermals than the MSI Gaming X. There thermal performance is more or less the same. As far as noise the MSI requires lower fan speeds to maintain thermals and is therefore quieter. Slam dunk. Next time stop chirping when you have nothing to say.

NO I will not claim that there is a performance difference, as they all have limited overclock headroom. So you underestimated my knowledge and you can not show the Sapphire have lower noise and better thermals than the MSI Gaming X. There thermal performance is more or less the same. As far as noise the MSI requires lower fan speeds to maintain thermals and is therefore quieter. Slam dunk. Next time stop chirping when you have nothing to say.

Wow, you sure do take things personally, eh? Also, different fan speeds effect noise levels only with the same fans. I would imagine these cards do not use the same fans, though.

I tried to go from a GTX 1060 6GB to a RX 5700 XT, both MSI cards. I must have got a bad one because it refused to install the drivers, just kept locking and rebooting trying to determine the card. It sounded like a vacuum cleaner running as well. After many attempts and reboots and even resetting my MB BIOS to default to remove any overclocking from the equation and 4 hours of screwing around I returned it and got a MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z. Swap plus 20 bucks. Plugged it in and was all set in 15 minutes after re-installing the NVidia stuff.

Hope you find a better one than I did.

Back