Best 4k monitor for photo editing (at least 30")?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I'm using HP ZR30w, one in horizontal mode, one in vertical. Given how large the res image that I now shoot in on my Sony A7Rii, I'm looking at probably going the 4K monitor route this year.

Image quality is of paramount importance. I don't game much these days (though I will be playing XCOM 2 and the upcoming Dues Ex). I sometimes watch 1080 TV shows or movies.

Are there any suggestions for good 4K monitors at least 30", preferably larger? I'm in no rush and don't mind waiting. My max budget is probably $1000-1200.

I am using two EVGA 680 FTW 4G cards in SLI. They've done exceptionally well in the three or four years that I've had them. I would hope that they'd allow for 4k @60hz since I am not planning to do any other hardware upgrades in 2016.

The LG Electronics IPS Digital Cinema 4K Monitor 31MU97-B looks promising.

Thanks for the advice.

PS if there are any Photoshop or Lightroom users here who run a 4k monitr, does Adobe offer good text scaling or enlargment as resolutions scale up? The text is already pretty damn small in 2560x1600 so it would be unreadable in 4k.

Last edited:
The limited testing I did with the adobe suite on a 32in PQ321Q at native 3840x2160 was not promising in terms of text scaling. It was definitely a little bit rough reading the tiny text. It was certainly crisp and clear, but it wasn't exactly something I would want to use as a daily production environment unless there was a way to scale it up.

Bah. I figured as much. I got Capture One as an alternative to Adobe so I might check out how font scaling works in that.

See if Dell has any offerings - they're typically targeting this audience. But the BenQ BL3201PT/PH is a good pick too (provided you don't get one with apparent random image distortion defections - check the thread in this section).

I use a BenQ BL3201PH and I've been really happy with it.

I came from a Dell 3001WFP that was 2560x1600. Used that for 10 years.

Concerning the interface, it's pretty tiny but you get used to it depending on your view distance.

Here is how Lightroom looks without any resizes in the gui. Lol also enjoy the eye candy.

http://imgur.com/a/IKhw0

Back