Best 4K monitor for gaming

rinaldo00

2[H]4U
I currently have a Dell 30" 2560x1600 display and want to upgrade to 4K. I do not want to go down in size to a 27" display. This will be for gaming ONLY.

What do people recommend?

Last edited:
What i'd recommend - something of 39"-50" size. Thus TVs. From those except Panasonic's all the rest provide 4K@60Hz only via HDMI 2.0. I guess that you might need gtx 980, if it supports that?

Go big, if you can, like Church said. The qualitative difference between 109 DPI and whatever with a 28" monitor isn't that great, but the difference between having a 109 DPI small screen and a ~109DPI big screen is massive.

Currently using a LG 55" TV at 4K and it works great, personally I think 4K looks better on big screen TV's, anything less than 40" is a waste and looks too small.

I have a 40' monitor wall mounted and sit roughly 6 feet from it for PC use and gaming only. I also want to go 4k and not go under 40'. Saw a Sammy 40 @ Best Buy for $1k. Seriously thinking about it to be fed by my GTX 980 when it arrives. Suggestions?

What i'd recommend - something of 39"-50" size. Thus TVs. From those except Panasonic's all the rest provide 4K@60Hz only via HDMI 2.0. I guess that you might need gtx 980, if it supports that?

Hm, I thought all the 4K TVs were 30Hz, not so? I kept hearing 4K TVs male terrible monitors.

I decided to bring this post back up instead of creating a new thread. I would -really- like to buy a 4K monitor this year, unless there is a -real- good reason to wait until Q1 2015.

As far as I know these are the best options
Acer B326HK
34UM95P
34UC97
U3415W
31MU97
B326HK
Samsung UD970
Eizo EV3237
BL3201PT/PH
Philips BDM4065UC

Any suggestions? If the 40 inch Phillips is good that is the one I will buy.
Thanks

Just got a Panasonic TC-58AX800U. 58 inches, works over displayport 4k @ 444 @ 60 on a 780. You need one of the 900 series cards for hdmi 2, but it works fine with displayport. Kind of. There's some grumpiness involved with switching resolutions.

I currently have a Dell 30" 2560x1600 display and want to upgrade to 4K. I do not want to go down in size to a 27" display. This will be for gaming ONLY.

What do people recommend?

your computer is not really fast enough for 4k gaming unless you want to turn all the settings down. the only possibly-viable option would be the 4k monitor with gsync. end of thread

your computer is not really fast enough for 4k gaming unless you want to turn all the settings down. the only possibly-viable option would be the 4k monitor with gsync. end of thread

I plan on buying the monitor NOW because of better cash back bonus in Dec and upgrading my computer next year after the 290x or 980 gti or whatever the top GPU is in Q1 2015.

But thanks for going beyond the scope of the question ;)

This is Hardforum still right? Who cares if his current computer is fast enough.

Easily the Acer XB280HK (4k + g-sync). G-sync I'd argue is necessary at 4k due to immense gpu workload rendering all those pixels. Trying to shoot for greater than 60 fps will force you to turn settings on certain games. While, if you only have to target an average 40 fps which is perfectly fine with g-sync, you won't have to turn down as many settings (High vs Medium).

I have a Dell UP2414Q - 24 inch 4K IPS monitor - it only supports MST when doing 4K@60 hz. Originally my PC had a geforce 670 and I was able to play older games at 4K - Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Unreal Tournament, Left 4 Dead 2, Enslaved (GREAT GAME get that on the next steam sale if you can), DiRT3 (with certain graphics details turned down). Basically most games from 2011 and earlier will have very little issues. Something to consider with your current rig. Try disabling AA if you do go 4K and it should be ok at normal viewing distances.

Now, I don't recommend the UP2414Q really - I mainly got it for photo-editing and web browsing - it excels at those with its AdobeRGB gamut. With that said, it does work well for the above games, as long as I use my Gaming Mode Preset trick - switch to Gaming Mode, then select the calibrated preset right after. The input lag with this trick *should* be about 20-30 milliseconds.

I upgraded to the Geforce 980 and I can play Tomb Raider at 50-60 fps with some IMHO unneeded settings turned off (like the awful Motion Blur setting).

I would recommend the Acer GSYNC 4K monitor as mentioned above - would result in a smoother experience. With that said, I haven't see it in person myself - just going from a person I know who has one and is satisfied with it.

With your 680 videocard stick with the older games until you upgrade.

I also have a Benq XL2411Z - works great for the newer games @ 1080p, but I love the detail and colors of the Dell UP2414Q for 4K gaming.

If you're just looking for a gaming monitor, 4K isn't really all that valuable. The sharpness is a nice step up, but it comes at a massive framerate cost. You will have to turn down settings and buy more hardware to keep the framerate up.

In terms of overall gaming enjoyment, 4K just isn't a good tradeoff right now.

If you're just looking for a gaming monitor, 4K isn't really all that valuable. The sharpness is a nice step up, but it comes at a massive framerate cost. You will have to turn down settings and buy more hardware to keep the framerate up.

In terms of overall gaming enjoyment, 4K just isn't a good tradeoff right now.

If you are playing demanding games I could see that. But if you are playing mostly static 4X/strategy games or MMOs or single player adventure games, or even old titles the extra sharpness is a huge boost.

Easily the Acer XB280HK (4k + g-sync). G-sync I'd argue is necessary at 4k due to immense gpu workload rendering all those pixels.
Thanks, but I am at 30" now and I don't want to go smaller. I also don't want to go from an IPS panel to a TN.
I also have a Benq XL2411Z - works great for the newer games @ 1080p, but I love the detail and colors of the Dell UP2414Q for 4K gaming.
Thanks, but I am at 30" now and I don't want to go smaller.

If you are playing demanding games I could see that. But if you are playing mostly static 4X/strategy games or MMOs or single player adventure games, or even old titles the extra sharpness is a huge boost.
That is great news. Due to a car accident I have very little dexterity so I play a lot of RTS (Anno, Supreme Commander, Star Craft), Tower Defense (Defense Grid 2) and TBS (Xcom, Space Hulk) I only play FPS games when my brother comes over and he takes over.

Back