Best 4-bay hotswap case for NVR/NAS?

HaxNobody

n00b
I'm looking to build an NVR/NAS setup, and I want to get either a short-depth 4-bay 1U chassis or a mini-ITX cube formfactor for it. There seems to be many options, but with a wide range of prices and potential issues. I've been looking in particular at cases from Chenbro, Supermicro, and Norco, but I would like to see what you guys would recommend for this setup. Cheaper is better, but I would like decent airflow and hotswap support. I've been looking the hardest at the Supermicro SC721-250B: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/tower/721/SC721TQ-250B
Any of you have experience with cases that aren't going to break the bank, which are also not totally jank?

What is your budget? I've been eyeing the U-NAS cases for a long time - they seem to get decent reviews and definitely look nice. Currently showing out of stock, though. That SuperMicro case looks really nice and has positive reviews as well.

What is your budget? I've been eyeing the U-NAS cases for a long time - they seem to get decent reviews and definitely look nice. Currently showing out of stock, though. That SuperMicro case looks really nice and has positive reviews as well.
I'd like to spend less than $200 on the case. My overall budget is $1200-1500 including 4x 4TB storage drives, but less is better.

The Chenbro SR30169T2-250 looks nice and is a good price, but I can't find anything that shows what brand of power supply it has and several reviews mention the power supply being junk. Once you replace that you're at the price of the Supermicro. That will probably be the main challenge - almost all the cases seem to use Flex ATX 1U power supplies or similar which are fairly expensive for a high quality one. The Supermicro appears to use an FSP Group Bronze power supply at least in the pictures I found so if so it should be good enough. That is probably what I would go with.

Thanks guys, good note about the PSU. Now to see what kind of screaming deal I can find on the supermicro case - next I need to figure out what to put in it. Maybe I'll post in another section about that, wish asrock would have released their j5040 board already.

Look at older Supermicro server boards.

Example of the one I bought on ebay:
X10SLL-F Supermicro Intel LGA1150 Micro ATX DDR3 Server Motherboard
Ebay Link

Paired it with 32GB of ECC ram which you want for a NAS platform for 65$ samsung chips from aliexpress and a v3 4 core 8 thread 45watt Xeon chip for 100$. I know its overkill for just a NAS

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back