Best 34/35" gaming monitor sub <=1k?

Slickdvl

Gawd
Currently looking at
LG-34GN850-B and AW3420DW
The LG seems to win on paper.
I'll be using it for work during the day and gaming at night (refresh rate and response times are important). Any others to consider that I'm missing?
Currently on an AOC ag271qg
Would love an x35 or pg35vq but way out of my price range.

I recently upgraded from AOC CU34G2X to LG 34GP83A-B and I am really liking LG's package. Don't get me wrong, the 34" from AOC is a great bargain at that price point. I just wanted a fully supported G-Sync monitor with IPS. Is it worth close to double? Still unsure but it does look better for my eyes (at the very least).

Thanks for the feedback.
I just discovered the Samsung odyssey 32” - need to compare the specs when I get a chance

Slickdvl I'm currently struggling between those exact 2 monitors right now as well.

Looking to upgrade from my Dell S2716DG, and right now I'm heavily leaning towards the LG-34GN850-B.

I don't want to regress in terms of Hz (144hz on the Dell to the 120Hz on the Alienware), want to move up from the TN panel, and want to give an ultrawide 1440p a go.

My only concern is Gsync Compatible vs Gsync: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

I do need to do some more reading on exactly what the differences are.

Last edited:
Yes, hearing some varied things about gsync, favoring the real gsync for over the “compatible”

I have the 34" LG and it's the best monitor I've tried. Works great with Nvidia and G-Sync, no problems at all.

A lot of people say the HDR is bunk, but it does actually help a little bit in supported games. Everything is bright and colorful, even on the Windows desktop.

I haven't tried the Alienware, but I feel pretty good about this monitor.

That’s good to hear - judging by the feedback so far the LG is now high up on my list. Anyone have the Samsung? I know it’s 32, but 240hz

I used to have a 240Hz monitor, and it was nice if the games could get that high but wasn't drastically better looking than say 144Hz.

Definitely looked smoother, I could see it, but you are getting diminishing returns above about 100Hz to the point where it doesn't matter.

Also consider CPU and GPU bottlenecks, lots of modern games will be capping out around 120 - 140 fps, in which case 240Hz is a waste.

But, if you play e-sports titles that can actually exceed 240 fps maybe that would be worth it. For single player games I think around 120 - 165Hz is more than enough.

Agreed, I’m working with a 1080ti and 7700k - but if I notice slowdowns I will be upgrading. I wonder though if the Samsung does anything better than the LG, iirc correctly it was cheaper by a little

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tool...-aw3420dw/13261/1785?usage=9091&threshold=0.1
Looks like a review was already done against the main 2 and LG won.
Interestingly though the Samsung G7 seems to have a higher rating, but its only 2560 x 1440 (which is same as my current 27" vs its 31.5")

Also, see a member has picked one up and reviewed here: https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-34gn850-b-34-inch-21-9-curved-ultrawide-qhd.1998475/

Apparently there's a rebadged one under 34GP83A-B for cheaper
"Note that there’s also the LG 34GN850, which is the same monitor as the 34GP83A, but with a slightly different design and OSD menu yet it goes for ~$150+ more."

Last edited:
One thing to note, the 3440x1440 resolution is pretty intensive.

With a 1080 Ti it might be a bit of a struggle, unless on old games or if you want to turn settings down a lot.

I'm on a 2080 Ti and that's been great, so maybe look at getting a 3070 if you want to take full advantage of the refresh rate.

Thats the one thing i'm hoping not to have an issue with...spending 1k on a monitor and then another 2k on parts (CPU, GPU, mobo, waterblocks, etc) is not something i wanted to do.
The main incentive right now is to give wifey my current 27" monitor for work (from home) and upgrade mine for work + play.

Well if you are on 1440p now you're looking at maybe around 25% less performance on ultrawide.

It will work, sure, but just keep that in mind.

the main factor for me in choosing between the LG and Samsung are the panels. LG is using IPS while Samsung using VA which gives way better contrast. if Samsung hadn't released their Odyssey range, id definitely pick up the LG

i lean towards the IPS for the response times but technically i think the odyssey has it beat there too. I do prefer the higher aspect ratio on the ultra wide as the samsung is larger than my current screen but same resolution...

cybereality Thank you so much for your description and pics in your review thread, as well elaborating further in this one. It has really made this choice easier for me, I appreciate it man!

Due to having to get back into graphic design duties here much sooner then I expected (my current TN panel couldn't be worse for this), I pulled the trigger on the LG-34GP83A just now!

Slickdvl She's set to arrive Tuesday, I'll have some unboxing and initial setup pics/thoughts for ya soon!

I'm not one to flip displays often at all, finally retiring the S2716DG after many years of service, as well as my secondary U2419H to the GF for casual gaming duties :D

God damn I am excited to get this monster!

Last edited:
cybereality Thank you so much for your description and pics in your review thread, as well elaborating further in this one. It has really made this choice easier for me, I appreciate it man!

Due to having to get back into graphic design duties here much sooner then I expected (my current TN panel couldn't be worse for this), I pulled the trigger on the LG-34GN850-B just now!

Slickdvl She's set to arrive Tuesday, I'll have some unboxing and initial setup pics/thoughts for ya soon!

I'm not one to flip displays often at all, finally retiring the S2716DG after many years of service, as well as my secondary U2419H to the GF for casual gaming duties :D

God damn I am excited to get this monster!
Why didn't you get the 34GP83A? Its the same thing but cheaper?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don’t like the way my x34 feels compared to an xb1 and whatever asus 180hz 1080p Rog monitor I used to have.
Productivity 34” ultrawide is great.
If latency and framerate are the bullet points that make you want to instantly update your pc then ultrawide isn’t for you.

If you stream, record, create content in some way with gameplay stick to 1080p

Alright guys, so I finally got her setup and working tonight!

Thanks Woodstocke for the assistance, definitely took 2 pairs of hands to get it mounted to my generic amazon triple monitor mount (running a single config atm). No issues here mounting a 100x100 VESA as many mentioned in reviews. My VESA was just a hair over the 100x100 pattern (with the inner 75x75 pastern too), the mounting area is recessed like many these days. I can get pics of that mounting areas if anyone is interested.

All I can saw is... this thing is a HUGE step up from my old TN panel in terms of real-estate and color quality. Right off the bat... holy crap, the colors pop so much more, no more color-shift/viewing angle difficulties either.

I know most of this is going to be "duh... you had a TN panel" to you experienced display guys, but damn... I'm a bit overwhelmed at the time of posting this.

I'm still trying to get used to the curved aspect, this is just going to take some time is all.

I'm absolutely blown away at the upgrade to be honest...

Pics!

Old setup:
20201027_210205.jpg

Comparison between the 27" and the 34" UW:

20201103_183817.jpg

Installed and ready to go!

20201103_200521.jpg

20201103_202816.jpg

20201103_202836.jpg

The RGB's don't camera phone photo the best, they're not as strong as the photos appear.

I'm just seriously blown away by this thing, such a crazy personal step up by comparison. Not quite as crazy as the first time I saw 144hz + gsync coming from 60hz, but man it is close!

EDIT: funny related positive, music sounds even better getting the R and L channels spread apart further.

Last edited:
Ran into one at micro center the other day - wasn’t on - but man that stand it comes with is huge ... might need to invest in an arm or something

I'd agree that a monitor post is the way to go. The stand that came with this unit is huge, it would certainly impede on my mouse pad area (XL sized pad) and keyboard position.

Never got either out of the OEM packaging.

If you're looking at a stand, get one with a footprint a hair bigger then the 100x100 bolt pattern. I had VERY little wiggle room to get this thing mounted.

Nice, I would need one that sits close and low to attachment point - don’t want monitor in my face
I’ll do some research

Ization5150 I absolutely am. Convinced a co-worker to also get one and he's also loving it.

The only thing I wish it did had was true gsync vs the gsync compatible. There were a few situations in CP2077 where the frames fell below the gsync threshold (around 45-48 fps if I remember right) and it was jarring, felt like a slideshow.

All in all, massive upgrade from my Dell S2716G, really couldn't be happier, great monitor for the money.

Is this still worth the buy for 789$
Had other things come up and I’m now reevaluating which monitor, have a little more money to spend but looks like availability is terrible.
Considering now AOC AGON AG353UCG and Acer x35. Are they really worth the price increase or is the LG still a good bang for buck. I’m also on a 1080ti for now, so not sure if it’s worth it from hardware perspective

Currently looking at
LG-34GN850-B and AW3420DW
The LG seems to win on paper.
I'll be using it for work during the day and gaming at night (refresh rate and response times are important). Any others to consider that I'm missing?
Currently on an AOC ag271qg
Would love an x35 or pg35vq but way out of my price range.
The Alienware is really nice. That would probably be my pick as I had the AW3418DW and really liked it. I also never had any issues with it so I have a feeling I'd be happy with its successor as well.

This LG is still great. The only thing that would be worth it with the more expensive monitors is HDR. The HDR on this set is not great. It does something, but it's not a huge difference to SDR.

So if you only buy a monitor infrequently, maybe spend a few extra hundred to get real HDR would be a worthwhile investment. Also the LG is IPS, so that is better in terms of motion clarity.

But, either way, they should all be pretty nice monitors. I'm still happy with the purchase and think there is a long life left on the LG, aside from the HDR support which I mentioned wasn't great.

Back