Best 30" sRGB Display?

ThomasJL

n00b
What is the best 30" sRGB display that is currently being sold today?

Please keep in mind that this thread is not about wide gamut displays with sRGB emulation. This thread is about 72% NTSC color gamut displays.

Last edited:
There really are not a whole lot of options.
The only one I can think of is apples 30" cinema display assuming it really still is sRGB.

There's also the Samsung 305t (not 305t+), if you can find it (doubt it's on sale anymore).
And of course the Dell 3007WFP, but it's probably quite hard to get hold of.

Then we have the Gateway monitor but thats discontinued and probably not recommended due to the issues it had.

Unless you are willing to buy a used monitor I'd say that apple is your only choice (assuming it still is sRGB - if it's not you are probably out of options).

Apple cinema displays are probably some of the best in the market. They look absolutely stunning, but of course because they also use really great IPS panels. However, Apple monitors are ridiculously expensive haha

Apple cinema displays are probably some of the best in the market. They look absolutely stunning, but of course because they also use really great IPS panels. However, Apple monitors are ridiculously expensive haha

They also have issues to be aware of, if you use them with PCs. Some of the new ones are Display Port ONLY so you need to have a card with it. The 30" is not best as I know, but be aware. Also they have almost zero controls on them. They expect that the system will issue control commands like you can do with NEC monitors and NaviSet. However I don't believe they have any software for the PC to control it, since they want you to buy a Mac.

Also be aware they are not adjustable. They only tilt up and down, as you typically find in cheap monitors. They do not have height, swivel, pivot and so on that you typically find in 30" monitors.

Now as to the original question I'm not aware of any 30" sRGB monitors. One option is to wait for the NEC PA301W to come out. It will be their 30" PA series monitor (they've announced it is coming but no date yet). As with all the PA series it'll be wide gamut, but have the ability to set to other gamuts like sRGB with high accuracy. It will, of course, cost a ton, over $2000. NEC's pro series are not cheap.

Also it is possible, and I find it reasonably likely, that Dell will have a U3011 monitor some time this year. The U2410 and U2711 use new LG IPS panels, same as the NEC monitors so my guess is a 30" one is on the way that they are waiting for. If that's the case, you could expect a U3011 from Dell that would have an sRGB mode, as the U2711 and U2410s do.

Of course I am just guessing, Dell has not made any such announcement and they may well not update their 30" line.

The Dell 3008WFP has an sRGB mode as well but sRGB modes in consumer products typically suck.

What is the best 30" sRGB display that is currently being sold today?
Should be the Eizo CG303W. Flexible color space emulation (fully integrated in the Color Navigator worklflow) and possibility of a "gamut update" that compensates for colorimetrical drifts through the years (function should be only used with a "trustworthy" probe (EyeOne Pro) even though there is a correction for the supported colorimeters in Color Navigator). Another good display will be the upcoming 30" NEC PA.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Ditto on the Eizo CG303W. It's quite an amazing LCD. The forthcoming NEC PA301W should also be very good.

Half a year has passed since the last post to this thread. Have any new 30" sRGB displays been released in that time?

If anything there are even less now...
Noone is interested in making sRGB displays :(

We have the U3010 which has a better sRGB mode, but other than that...

Haven't had my eye on NEC and Eizo but their sRGB modes should be good, but they are also quite expensive.

I want a 30" sRGB monitor to complement my NEC 2490WUXi2. Make one ... I'll buy it.

If anything there are even less now...
Noone is interested in making sRGB displays :(

Lots of sRGB displays, it has really turned around.

Just no 30" sRGB. In general the 30" 2560x1600 display almost looks in danger of extinction, with a push to smaller/lower res and cheaper 27" 2560x1440.

Back