Best 30" monitor for 3x portrait

DReborn

Limp Gawd
hey all, looking to replicate this setup: http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u127998/monitors-8678small.jpg

Always thought it was cool and well...I want it! I was looking at grabbing three of the new monoprice 30" (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10734&seq=1&format=2) because it has a slim bezel and can pivot into portrait mode. I've heard mixed reviews about the monoprice matte screen and $700 per monitor is not dirt cheap for Korean stuff..

any other Korean monitors better? seems like i can even grab some refurbished dell 3014 for around $700.

Main question:

1. what is best 30" monitor that can pivot into portrait (slim bezel and display port required)

thanks!

I have had both the DELL's and the Monoprice, I would suggest the DELL's if you can get them for around the same price. They are pretty much the same panel. But you can re sell the DELL's much faster and for more money if you don't like the 3x30 portrait set up(which I didn't like cause it was too big and not enough GPU power to run anything)

I would actually suggest 3x27's vs the 30's. Much easier to use in portrait or landscape. Having had 3x30, 3x27, 3x24, 3x22, I would say 3x27 is by far the best. Perfect size.

Martha, would love to hear more about your trial and error on all those sizes!

Which 27"'s did you end up with? can't seem to find a model with slim bezel that pivots.

thanks!

I love my. NEC LCD3090WQXi monitors, although they have been succeeded by newer NEC monitors with better input options. The NECs are very high quality and portrait very easily. They are bulletproof reliable and function flawlessly day in and day out.

Martha, would love to hear more about your trial and error on all those sizes!

Which 27"'s did you end up with? can't seem to find a model with slim bezel that pivots.

thanks!

my current set up-

3x27 DELL S-Line monitors with an ergo tech triple monitor stand.

The 22"s are way too small and the 30's are way too big. Problem with 3x30's is it will go past your field of vision, meaning lots of head turning. Best of both worlds are 24's or 27's as they fill your field of vision with out having to turn your head.

my current set up-

3x27 DELL S-Line monitors with an ergo tech triple monitor stand.

The 22"s are way too small and the 30's are way too big. Problem with 3x30's is it will go past your field of vision, meaning lots of head turning. Best of both worlds are 24's or 27's as they fill your field of vision with out having to turn your head.

i just saw the Dell S 27"...seems like a smokin deal but I think i will miss the higher res. I've been cruising at 2560x1600 for so long...may be tough to jump back town to 1080p.

You seem to like it though even after living in 30" world?

last question: the dell S line didn't seem to have displayport. so what's your video card setup?

i just saw the Dell S 27"...seems like a smokin deal but I think i will miss the higher res. I've been cruising at 2560x1600 for so long...may be tough to jump back town to 1080p.

You seem to like it though even after living in 30" world?

last question: the dell S line didn't seem to have displayport. so what's your video card setup?

currently using a single R290x via-DVI+HDMI+Display Port.

The 30's were amazing for about 1 hour. 2 biggest problems-

1-Way too big, too much head turning(google it and you will find others with the same complaint) since some games aren't 100% optimized for multimonitor you end up with UI's on the other side of the screen, which can be a massive problem in some games.

2-No current card set up can run 7680x1600 res smoothly. I was using SLI GTX680's at one point and could still only play old games(WOW, TF2, Counter Strike, etc..) anything current wouldn't get past 10-15fps. MAYBE a set up with 3x780ti's or 3xR290x's could get by at 30-40fps, but then thats $2400 in GPU's.

edit:If you're gonna run portrait only I would actually suggest 3x24's, I even find running the 27's in portrait too tall to see everything. 3x27 in landscape is perfect.

my favorite previous set up 3x24" DELL U2412M(they pivot and don't require a separate stand)

Last edited:
currently using a single R290x via-DVI+HDMI+Display Port.

The 30's were amazing for about 1 hour. 2 biggest problems-

1-Way too big, too much head turning(google it and you will find others with the same complaint) since some games aren't 100% optimized for multimonitor you end up with UI's on the other side of the screen, which can be a massive problem in some games.

2-No current card set up can run 7680x1600 res smoothly. I was using SLI GTX680's at one point and could still only play old games(WOW, TF2, Counter Strike, etc..) anything current wouldn't get past 10-15fps. MAYBE a set up with 3x780ti's or 3xR290x's could get by at 30-40fps, but then thats $2400 in GPU's.

edit:If you're gonna run portrait only I would actually suggest 3x24's, I even find running the 27's in portrait too tall to see everything. 3x27 in landscape is perfect.

my favorite previous set up 3x24" DELL U2412M(they pivot and don't require a separate stand)

I went with 3 of the Dell S 27" and this mount: http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe...-Desktop-Clamp-up-to-28-002-0019-002-0019.htm

we shall see! I'll post back my thoughts when it gets all setup

thank you all for the help and advice.

Enjoy the Dell S2740L's really obvious overshoot ghosting, reflections and gray blacks! Should have bought 3x BenQ BL2411PT's...

NCX! where have you been hiding. I know you hate all the Korean 30" as well, right?

24" benq too small...need 27"

best part: purchased via amazon and they go back if i dont love them

FYI make sure you buy the right Ergo tech stand, the cheaper one won't hold the 27's

http://www.amazon.com/-Triple-Stand...spell&keywords=ergo+tech+triple+monitor+stand

Enjoy the Dell S2740L's really obvious overshoot ghosting, reflections and gray blacks! Should have bought 3x BenQ BL2411PT's...

While I agree that BenQ's are the better monitors. The DELL's are one of your only options if you prefer a high gloss screen at 27" 1080p with IPS.

And the blacks on the S-line are actually really solid, much better than my previous BenQ's(and this is coming from someone who also games on a Panasonic ZT65 Plasma)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
teach me!! what monitors are those?

They were Samsung S27A750Ds...which have super small bezels. But 5x1 was overwhelming and there is little game support for that too...its like bf3 was the only game that worked half-way decent. I highly recommend 3x1 portrait though.....3x1 is good stuff until we get some 4k 120hz 39" displays!

FYI make sure you buy the right Ergo tech stand, the cheaper one won't hold the 27's

http://www.amazon.com/-Triple-Stand...spell&keywords=ergo+tech+triple+monitor+stand

supposedly this stand has pretty good reviews and people who have used them with triple 27's: http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe...-Desktop-Clamp-up-to-28-002-0019-002-0019.htm

I would be careful with cheap stands, most of the cheap ones have poor build quality, don't have telescoping wings,flex and sag under heavy weight, and bounce around a lot. The Ergo Techs are expensive but worth every penny as they are rock solid.

I would be careful with cheap stands, most of the cheap ones have poor build quality, don't have telescoping wings,flex and sag under heavy weight, and bounce around a lot. The Ergo Techs are expensive but worth every penny as they are rock solid.

I absolutely agree with you however its tough to ignore how cheap the easymount is. I will try it out and report back! Once i decide on this 3x27" setup, i will probably return the easymount and go for the ergo

alot of displays were being talked about, which one? =)

can't wait for my three Dell 2713's to come!

I can't wait until 40"+ 4K IPS 60Hz monitors hit. 4K monitor flanked by two portrait 30" monitors.
I only the need the 4K monitor for gaming, but the setup is for work.

I agree with you if you play FPS games.

I mostly play flight sims, space sims, or RPG. I love the fact that I can't see the edges of my side monitors, because it immerses me in the game even more.

It's a matter of preference I would say.

I had a PLP setup like this 20/30/20 which I thought was awesome but of course you can't game with this. SoftTH however recently went open source and could potentially male PLP work.
72s237W.jpg

Now it's three 30" in landscape:
2BODRnN.jpg

If you're going for portrait bezels will be much more noticeable and I would tend to agree that three 30" in portrait is just way too big, even vertically. Three 27" sounds about right, and will be less demanding on your GPUs.

Otherwise have you considered a single 4K TV? The new ones with DP1.2 implementation will support 60mhz. For FPS players I'd think this ideal.

so just set up the 3 2713's in portrait.. pretty damn sweet. not sure if it's something i could use all the time. pretty big adjustment. i will give it till the weekend.

Question: i can't seem to find wallpaper to fit my resolution of 4320x2560....i've looked on all the sites however it seems like people don't put 3 27" 2560x1400 monitors into portrait =)

so just set up the 3 2713's in portrait.. pretty damn sweet. not sure if it's something i could use all the time. pretty big adjustment. i will give it till the weekend.

Question: i can't seem to find wallpaper to fit my resolution of 4320x2560....i've looked on all the sites however it seems like people don't put 3 27" 2560x1400 monitors into portrait =)

best option is google image search under "advance" put "higher than 4320x2560 pixels"

I agree with you if you play FPS games.

I mostly play flight sims, space sims, or RPG. I love the fact that I can't see the edges of my side monitors, because it immerses me in the game even more.

It's a matter of preference I would say.

I had a PLP setup like this 20/30/20 which I thought was awesome but of course you can't game with this. SoftTH however recently went open source and could potentially male PLP work.
72s237W.jpg

Now it's three 30" in landscape:
2BODRnN.jpg

If you're going for portrait bezels will be much more noticeable and I would tend to agree that three 30" in portrait is just way too big, even vertically. Three 27" sounds about right, and will be less demanding on your GPUs.

Otherwise have you considered a single 4K TV? The new ones with DP1.2 implementation will support 60mhz. For FPS players I'd think this ideal.

Old thread, but for anyone who is interested in this. AMD started supporting PLP in hardware about 6 months ago with any AMD card that supports CGN 1.2. (Tonga and Fiji chipset - currently on 285, 380, and the 3 different Fury cards!)

I've finally got real gaming out of my 20-30-20 PLP setup! EA Star Wars Battlefront ROCKs in PLP. (GUI stays in center monitor by default)

Back