Best 30" monitor - 2010 edition!

silencer51

n00b
Hello all,

I am looking for the best 30" monitor I can get with a maximum of 1500 euros.

So far my list consists of the Dell 3008WFP & HP's LP3065 which are both priced at around 1250 euros.

Monitor use: gaming, photoshop, movies.

I currently have 2x26" LG W2600BH (IPS panels), and I generally like IPS... So I'm leaning towards IPS models.

A funny thing about the 3008WFP is that some reviews say its mediocre at best and others that its the best choice for a 30" non-professional monitor...

Also, is the HP a good choice? It's a pretty old model - discontinued I think, but still on sale on most places...

I'm all ears, give me your suggestions! :)

Unfortunately I can't find the 3007 anywhere for sale here in Greece or ebay (I could import one from the US but I would probably pay twice the price in customs taxes)...

So it seems the 3007 is off the list... :(

go w/ the HP then, unless you need the extra inputs of the 3008...plus I read that the 3008's have pretty bad input lag...never seen one up close, so this is all hear say

I wish Dell would just rip the electronics out of the u2711 stuff them in the 3008wfp and be done with the u3011. True everyone is hoping for panel and other enhancements. But I think the 66% reduction in input lag would atleast finally put to bed the 3007wfp vs 3008wfp debate.

Just get a 3rd LG for eyefinity, a new graphics card and maybe a eye one display to calibrate them, that would probably cost far less than getting a 30" model.

Whats up with the 3007 being so expensive now anyway, it was around 1000 bucks about 3 or 4 months ago, now its 1400 wtf?

are you keeping the 26 inchers?...if so, definitely get a third...if not, why not get the LG W3000H-Bn if you know you like lg monitors already?...it meets your price requirement...

People keep bringing up these 30" lcd posts. There are no new ones for 2010. The best all around 30" for computer use only is still the LG W3000H.

I just ordered a 3007 because it seems like its STILL the best. I had been waiting for something better, but now I hope it never comes because I would be jealous.

I think it's funny how everyone has their own opinion of what is best and states it like it's fact.

Some people need more inputs and don't care about input lag. Others are bothered by input lag and only need DVI, so they choose a monitor without a scaler.

"Best" can be measured in different ways and is often subjective. What determines the best? Image quality? Build quality? Reliability? Least amount of lag? etc. It will vary from person to person.

I guess my 3007WFP-HC and 3008WFP are tied for the best 30" monitor because that's what I own. :p

I've had both and the few days i had the 3008wfp i always was leaning towards the 3007wfp. The lag between the two was definitely noticeable to me, not so much in gaming, but on the desktop. The 3007wfp always felt like i was on a CRT in terms of responsiveness.

The picture slightly leaned towards the 3008wfp and this was only with the graininess look, albeit very minor. I really needed the extra inputs for development reasons. To make up for the lack of inputs, i have decided to just add a secondary monitor. But what really made me return the 3008wfp was the stand and overall quality, believe it or not!

Every time i changed inputs the monitor would wobble like crazy. Also there is no way to explicitly set your desired input. You'd have to cycle through each one, which i felt very annoying. Lastly, of the two new 3008wfps I went through, the back light uniformity was inferior to the 3007wfp. I felt this was annoying every time i had a black background.

The 3007wfp is close to a perfect monitor. I believe it's main drawback is obviously the single input, but its other attributes make up for this IMO.

These are my observations, good luck.

People keep bringing up these 30" lcd posts. There are no new ones for 2010. The best all around 30" for computer use only is still the LG W3000H.
THere are at least 2 new 30" LCDs coming out in 2010 - Eizo CG303W and Nec PA301W

I think it's funny how everyone has their own opinion of what is best and states it like it's fact.

Some people need more inputs and don't care about input lag. Others are bothered by input lag and only need DVI, so they choose a monitor without a scaler.

"Best" can be measured in different ways and is often subjective. What determines the best? Image quality? Build quality? Reliability? Least amount of lag? etc. It will vary from person to person.

I guess my 3007WFP-HC and 3008WFP are tied for the best 30" monitor because that's what I own. :p

+1; this is so true, sepecially the first sentence.

Dave

My 3007 just developed a line of about 1000 dead pixels. Seriously the line is about 12" long

Hope this is just an anomaly and it doesn't happen to you guys.

There is little information on the warranty of the 3007 on the Dell web site. The 3008 apparently has a 3 year warrany. I am going to talk to Dell about this tonight but the monitor is almost 2 years old.

There is little information on the warranty of the 3007 on the Dell web site. The 3008 apparently has a 3 year warrany. I am going to talk to Dell about this tonight but the monitor is almost 2 years old.

I thought all UltraSharp displays carried a 3 year warranty. Confirm with Dell but I've had a few UltraSharps and they all had 3-yr warranties as part of the "premium" lineup.

Dell said they would send me a new monitor in 3-5 business days. Wow if they do that I will be impressed.

I wish Dell would just rip the electronics out of the u2711 stuff them in the 3008wfp and be done with the u3011. True everyone is hoping for panel and other enhancements. But I think the 66% reduction in input lag would atleast finally put to bed the 3007wfp vs 3008wfp debate.

Really?
You wan't electronics for a 1920x1200 monitor in a 2560x1600 monitor? I'd rather be able to use the monitor :p

Really?
You wan't electronics for a 1920x1200 monitor in a 2560x1600 monitor? I'd rather be able to use the monitor :p

No I want electronics from a 2560x1440 monitor. Retasking them for the larger resolution should not be that difficult with the caveat that the additional resolution may not support it (but I doubt it).

Are there any known 30" monitors without the sparkle anti-glare coating? I received my 3007wfp-hc today and I hate the sparkle!

Are there any known 30" monitors without the sparkle anti-glare coating? I received my 3007wfp-hc today and I hate the sparkle!
Do you know if the 3008WFP has this `awesome` sparkle coating?

I'm getting the 3008WFP so I can have both my PS3 and PC connected to it (else I'd go with the 3007).

Do you know if the 3008WFP has this `awesome` sparkle coating?

I'm getting the 3008WFP so I can have both my PS3 and PC connected to it (else I'd go with the 3007).

I don't know if the 3008wfp has the sparkle. I got the 3007 because I didn't want the input lag that comes with the 3008.

Yes, the 3008WFP has the *sparkle coating*, if it's better or worse than 3007WFP (or any other) I don't know.

At least all IPS 30" monitors have it as far as I know, unsure about S-PVA but they doesn't seem to be affected that much (or it's just that the IPS ones are more popular).

All I can say is that the very most of people get used to it and isn't bothered by it after some time.

here's a good point of reference for you to make your decision - LCDs ranked by use

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226

if your looking for a monitor with no sparkle effect then you want a NEC 2690 or NEC 2490 that have a polarizer, although these wouldn't be the best for gaming, although when I put into overdrive I don't really notice any input lag, buts that just me

CRAP. I've been gaming on a 3007 for years now. Almost no input lag, very high response rate... perfect for gaming. You make no sense at all. Do you have any form of substance to back up your claim that 30" monitors are not for gaming.

CRAP. I've been gaming on a 3007 for years now. Almost no input lag, very high response rate... perfect for gaming. You make no sense at all. Do you have any form of substance to back up your claim that 30" monitors are not for gaming.

its just my own opinion, If you like gaming on a 30" monitor good for you - But gaming usually requires low response times, I would take a u2410 or over any 30" monitor out there, but again this is just my opinion and you can take it for what its worth - no biggie ;) - Oh yeah I had a chance to play Supcommand on a 3007wfp and on a NEC 3090 monitors and it was awesome just due to vast size of the monitor, I guess it also just depends on what type of games you play

Last edited:
Back