Best 2TB drives for ZFS?

idea

Gawd
Anyone have any ideas? No one seems to agree on this.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my 4 Hitachi 5k3000 drives. I also read that the Samsung F4 drives were good and then Hitachi 7200rpm drives were good too.

Any of them are fine for ZFS, everyone disagrees because its more of a brand preference. I use Samsung HD204UI's in my RAIDZ ZFS array as they are 74.99 each so the price was right and they are great drives. If you get a 4k sector size drive as many of them are except some Hitachis you will have to add a few steps during pool creation to make ZFS aware of the sector size for best performance, but its simple.

Any of them are fine for ZFS, everyone disagrees because its more of a brand preference. I use Samsung HD204UI's in my RAIDZ ZFS array as they are 74.99 each so the price was right and they are great drives. If you get a 4k sector size drive as many of them are except some Hitachis you will have to add a few steps during pool creation to make ZFS aware of the sector size for best performance, but its simple.

Well if it comes down to just the brand, I am going to choose the Western Digital. They never did me wrong in the past.

I'm thinking the WD20EARX model which are indeed 4k sector size. What are these steps you speak of?

I have 6 Samsung F4EG (2TB, 4K sector) - I used ZFSGuru to initially create my array, formatted the drives with GEOM and ashift=12. Other 4K drives should just need the same. I'm still setting up my server, but these drives have worked great for me so far.

You can also ignore these steps and just use the drives out of the box. It's only a performance issue as I understand it, and probably not one you'd ever notice in a practical sense.

Back