Best 26-28 for under 400

holinger

Limp Gawd
So has anyone seen side by side of this size monitors to tell which is the best? I know the hanns 28 inch is popular. . but how does it compare to say the hp 27 inch or the lg 27 inch or maybe a samsung 26 inch? As for size, anywhere between 26-28 is exactly the same to me, I just want the one with the best picture. I would mainly use it for gaming.

hanns will die on you later on

the HP 2709m hands down HP still got the 20% cash back

jump on that shit

Hanns-G is shit, anything but that would be a better option. If anyone tells yea otherwise they are just trying to justify their purchase.

A 720p TV at 26" is going to make for a shitty computer monitor (sucky res). The T260 is nice though.

I got the T260 3 weeks ago and its a gem
329$ after shipping on tigerdirect

does that t260 handle 1080p correctly, i.e., does not stretch the picture?

okay, so has anyone seen a t260 next to the hanns for a side by side comparison?

forget the hanns dude, its going to die, it doesnt matter what the picture looks like. If you want to buy it knowing its probably not going to last then I guess just do it?

I am stuck between a few right now...

Asus VK266H
T260
HP 25.5 and 27

lol. . . i never said i really want the hanns.. i've never even seen one. . naturally since its the largest and cheapest I'm curious. . . but other than that I'm stuck between the same 3 you are

lol. . . i never said i really want the hanns.. i've never even seen one. . naturally since its the largest and cheapest I'm curious. . . but other than that I'm stuck between the same 3 you are

woo! lets figure it out then.

I'm planning on purchasing the HP 2509m or the 2709m tomorrow. HP has the 2509m as $80 instant rebate, plus a $20 coupon code: SVMY478761 and Bing 20% cashback. it comes to around 215bucks. 2709m has a $120 instant rebate.

Great deal in my mind.

With the rebates, coupon, tax, and cashback included.

2509m = $213
2709m = $264

I'm in between getting the 25 or the 27. : \

Edit: My only worry, is that according to the Cnet review of the 2709m. There is some tearing sometimes during movies and games. I don't know if it's from them not having vsync or if it's a monitor issue. Any thoughts?

Edit2: A reviewer on newegg referred to the Cnet review, that it was very biased against it. he also mentioned he never saw screen tearing with Vsync on.

Last edited:
I'm planning on purchasing the HP 2509m or the 2709m tomorrow. HP has the 2509m as $80 instant rebate, plus a $20 coupon code: SVMY478761 and Bing 20% cashback. it comes to around 215bucks. 2709m has a $120 instant rebate.

Great deal in my mind.

2509m = $213
2709m = $264

Edit: My only worry, is that according to the Cnet review of the 2709m. There is some tearing sometimes during movies and games. I don't know if it's from them not having vsync or if it's a monitor issue. Any thoughts?

Edit2: A reviewer on newegg referred to the Cnet review, that it was very biased against it. he also mentioned he never saw screen tearing with Vsync on.

I've been reading up for a few days trying to make the best decision based on what I want and I came across all your edits :D haha. I have a 100$ gc to Amazon so I HAVE to spend it there. They don't sell the 2709 atm, so as far as HP goes I can only get the 2509, which is an option. I play video games, not too often, but I probably will when Blizzard releases something new, and I occasionally play cs and other halflife stuff. The Asus looks really good, especially for gaming. I do a lot of just sitting around on the computer though, but I never watch movies/shows on it because my TV is near. THEN there's the Samsung T260, which might be right in the middle.

edit // actually...amazon does sell/ship the 2709. I think i might go for it..

Last edited:

Great deal in my mind.

2509m = $213
2709m = $264

1. cnet are fucking idiots they had vsync off

2. DO NOT use a coupon any coupons VOID the cash back!!

imo get the 27" its just a few more

1. cnet are fucking idiots they had vsync off

2. DO NOT use a coupon any coupons VOID the cash back!!

imo get the 27" its just a few more

Alright, that's good to know on both the vsync and the cash back.

Okay, well how is the HP 27 compared to the Asus 26? I know the HP has a shitty stand, but thats no problem for me. . .

I would like to chime in and say I am very happy with my 28" Hanns-G HG281 which I have been using since April. The only issues I have had is a popping noise made when a game switches resolutions or from windowed to full-screen where the screen becomes black for a couple of seconds and then displays the image. I've heard others complain of this as well and it does worry me a bit. The other issue is a low whining, buzzing sound when there is lots of text on the screen, mostly in Wikipedia articles.

Otherwise, I absolutely love it. I'm not a graphics designer or anything of the sort, so my standards aren't that high with monitor quality. I love the huge size, especially for gaming, the colors and brightness are fine for me, all of this is subjective of course.

Even if my monitor craps out, I did purchase it from Costco for $300 which gives me a 3 year warranty. But I do hope it keeps working for a while as even with the best warranty and return policy, going through it is a hassle.

I think its quite unmatched in terms of price and value, fingers crossed that it doesn't break on me. :)

Last edited:
I just purchased the 2509m off HP's site about an hour ago. $287 Awaiting cashback. I didn't use the coupon, so thanks alot for the heads up.

I have the same HG281. Got rid of my "popping" noises by changing the audio input to "PC", instead of "HDMI".

I noticed the popping when changing resolutions or loading games, too. However, I was running two HD4770's in Crossfire and they never "popped". It wasn't until I just installed an EVGA 285 GTX that the "popping" started happening.

I can't get audio to work via HDMI with my Nvidia card. Enabled it in the Nvidia Control Panel but it didn't work. Don't know if I need some sort of extra cable to do it. Researching currently.

Thought you might like to know about my experiences with the "popping".

BTW, love this Hanns-G. Got it on special at the Egg for $279 shipped. One dead pixel, meh. Great performance for the price. If you need more, pay for more, otherwise this is a great mid-to-high range monitor.
I would like to chime in and say I am very happy with my 28" Hanns-G HG281 which I have been using since April. The only issues I have had is a popping noise made when a game switches resolutions or from windowed to full-screen where the screen becomes black for a couple of seconds and then displays the image. I've heard others complain of this as well and it does worry me a bit. The other issue is a low whining, buzzing sound when there is lots of text on the screen, mostly in Wikipedia articles.

Otherwise, I absolutely love it. I'm not a graphics designer or anything of the sort, so my standards aren't that high with monitor quality. I love the huge size, especially for gaming, the colors and brightness are fine for me, all of this is subjective of course.

Even if my monitor craps out, I did purchase it from Costco for $300 which gives me a 3 year warranty. But I do hope it keeps working for a while as even with the best warranty and return policy, going through it is a hassle.

I think its quite unmatched in terms of price and value, fingers crossed that it doesn't break on me. :)

Hanns-G is shit, anything but that would be a better option. If anyone tells yea otherwise they are just trying to justify their purchase.

Hanns-G isn't a Samsung, for sure, but I have 2 19" Hanns-G Widescreen LCD's that have been going strong for 4 years now. Never a problem with either (fingers crossed).

My Samsung's, both a CRT and LCD, have been sent in for warranty repair once each.

Just a different perspective. Not to say that your opinion isn't valid. And yes I am trying to justify my purchase. :cool:

Fedex says my 2509m will come tomorrow. Probably around noon/early afternoon. If you're still considering the 27"...

Bought a Hannspree 289HJB and so far have been disappointed after also testing an LG W2361V-PF. The LG is too small but the Hannspree's picture looks dull and grainy in comparison, so I think I'll return the 289HJB to Microcenter and try out either the 25 or the 27 HP.

I'm worried that 27-28" is too big at this range of resolution, or rather I'm not willing to compromise a sharp picture for gain in size, which would be purely up to my own personal taste.

I've had the Samsung T260HD for about a year now and I love it. I've never seen any lag on any game and I only have it hooked up to a P4 right now. Actually, I have it hooked up to

Sony Blu-Ray over HDMI
XBox 360 over HDMI
PC over DVI
Laptop over VGA

and I have its optical audio out connected to a Sound Blaster card so I can pump 5.1 audio through my computer's speakers.

I'll admit, the HDTV tuner leaves a bit to be desired, but with an external antenna, I get most channels ok.

It comes setup to stretch a 1080p image by default, just to try and "fill the screen", but you can turn that off and get the correct aspect ratio.

Back