Best 24" Monitor in YOUR opinion.

raymondes

Weaksauce
Hey guys, im in the market to buy a new monitor and i want to get a 24 incher, but i need your advice first.

What is the best 24" monitor (in your opinion) if price WAS NOT a factor, and why?

What is the best 24" monitor (in your opinion) if price WAS a factor, and why?

If you feel like trying to sway me into another size class go right ahead. Im up for suggestions at this point.

THANKS!

Price is not a factor ($2,400): Samsung Syncmaster XL24 24" LED - 6ms (g2g) /1000:1
Price is a factor: NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi or BenQ V2400W

i know but 2.4k for a 24 inch monitor is a little pricy. i could get 4 for that price. I appreciate the suggestion tho!

Hey guys, im in the market to buy a new monitor and i want to get a 24 incher, but i need your advice first.

What is the best 24" monitor (in your opinion) if price WAS NOT a factor, and why?

If you feel like trying to sway me into another size class go right ahead. Im up for suggestions at this point.

THANKS!

Very easy to answer - the NEC 2490/2690.
Why? Top level universal monitors - open this classification and in Recommendation section see them in the first row in almost every area.
If you are interested in closer look at the NEC 2490WUXi - in these two reviews ( #1, # 2) 2490 plays a supportive role of a reference monitor but at the same time represents itself quite clear.

It's harder to answer. It depends on what price is factor and what is not.
Same source will give you most of info.
Another factor to consider is panel quality.
A popular "bargain" brand is the DoubleSight (reported to start their new line 24"-30" later this year).
Inexpensive and quite solid TN BenQs are being intensively promoted now.
Price factor may pull you even further down to monitors with "oriental food" and "korean cars" names but I don't think you are asking about that.

i know but 2.4k for a 24 inch monitor is a little pricy. i could get 4 for that price. I appreciate the suggestion tho!

Actually Samsung XL24 is the most overpriced 24", but very far from being the best.

Price is not a factor ($2,400): Samsung Syncmaster XL24 24" LED - 6ms (g2g) /1000:1

Well, it may have a LED backlight, but it is still only a S-PVA panel with all its limitations :)

HP LP2480zx is to be released. It will have a LED backlight too and maybe an IPS panel, but that is not sure. If it is an IPS with a polarizer, it may be pretty cool :)

If you can find the LG 246BN, its a great monitor. Really low input lag, MVA panel so you don't have the problems from the S-PVA panels. Problem is the model is discontinued.

Well, it may have a LED backlight, but it is still only a S-PVA panel with all its limitations :)

HP LP2480zx is to be released. It will have a LED backlight too and maybe an IPS panel, but that is not sure. If it is an IPS with a polarizer, it may be pretty cool :)
yea for how much? ;)

If you can find the LG 246BN, its a great monitor. Really low input lag, MVA panel so you don't have the problems from the S-PVA panels. Problem is the model is discontinued.

I have this monitor.

super low input lag (1-2ms), MVA, 178deg viewing angles, vga, hdmi, component inputs, $450 at best buy after $100 off.

good luck finding it :p

THANKS!
A Gateway FHD2400.

At retail price, it seems to be average at $479-$500. However, you can get this model for as little as $389 at Circuit City right now. Considering most people are paying $400-$420 for a generic BenQ (Acer panel - Gateway uses a Samsung panel) you are getting a great buy and an amazing screen.

This model has a glare coat and because of that, color is amazing vibrant. Old games and software look brand new. No back light bleed on new models. Very low change of dead pixels (less than 1 in 40 from user reviews). The menu system is excellent and the entire monitor can be configured and calibrated from Windows.

Also has PiP which is actually useful because, again, you can interact with the PiP inside Windows. Any input you can think of. Very nice base even though I hate silver...

Circuit City doesn't carry this gateway monitor, Best buy carries it for $479.... and the way samsung is with alot of there TN panels, right now atm I am staying as far as I can from them.... IMO there are better monitors out there than samsung, to me there just a popularized name.

I liked there older monitors better, like the 226bw before they had the lottery on them, awesome monitor.

A Gateway FHD2400.

At retail price, it seems to be average at $479-$500. However, you can get this model for as little as $389 at Circuit City right now. Considering most people are paying $400-$420 for a generic BenQ (Acer panel - Gateway uses a Samsung panel) you are getting a great buy and an amazing screen....

NEC LCD2490Wuxi-SV (Spectraview II).

Best 24" out there for the following reasons:

1) Advanced internal color look up table calibration. Means colors will be just shy of 100% perfect regardless of what is connected to it. As Albovin mentioned, spend the money for the "SV" version and you will always have color calibrated (as long as you calibrate it) :)
2) Color uniformity compensation which works. It all but eliminates backlight uniformity issues. Prad.DE mentioned the backlight uniformity was within 5% on the 26" in their review after enabling Color Comp. That is an exemplary result!
3) Advanced scaler with proper aspect ratio control for ALL supported resolutions PLUS the ability to perform aspect, 1:1, and custom, user defined image expansion. Also, unlike others, scaling up lower resolutions does not increase input lag.
4) Auto brightness adjusts the monitor based on ambient lighting conditions. Brightens when the room is bright, darkens accordingly when the room darkens to help with brightness perception
5) You can turn overdrive on and off with no input lag changes, and the overdrive does not induce inverse ghosting
6) Advanced color, gamma and preset controls for customizable color, including offset and gain controls for user customizations.
7) Full compatibility with gaming consoles that use HDMI, DVI or VGA, as well as HDMI based BluRay players with no overscan (cropping) or stretching of the image (unless chosen to do so). This even works with 480p images that other monitors have problems with (stretching/cropping). The only thing it CANNOT do is interlaced.
8) Unsurpassed viewing angles with almost ZERO color shift and no sparkly/grainy display due to anti-glare. Only a a slight green or red cast can be seen on blacks from extreme viewing angles
9) Competitive TRUE contrast ratio of up to 800:1. My 2690 is set at 140cdm/2 brightness and still does over 600:1 contrast. My MVA panel drops to 400:1 at 30% brightness of 200cdm/2.
10) Auto luminance. In the advanced OSD you can set it to a certain "CDM/2" brightness and it will achieve it fairly closely (within 5%)
11) Low brightness modes - For those sensitive eyes
12) Even the LED is customizable for color (blue/green) and brightness as are the gray/black bars at top and bottom of a properly displayed 1080p image.
13) FOUR year warranty and NEC customer service and support is top-notch. My 2690 had a loose panel and stuck subpixels and they got me a new display from Chicago to Toronto in less than two business days. They even gave me a number to call for return pick up.

Here are some reviews of the 26". The 24" is the same except it is standard gamut (ie. no oversaturated colors), and doesn't have the slight vertical pixel spacing the 26" has which can show up as a slight horizontal screen door effect, which is only visible from very close.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-nec-lcd2690wuxi.html

http://xtknight.50webs.com/lcd26/

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to summarize as much as possible of why this is such a great display, and worth more than those Eizos which are a bit "expensive" IMO and don't necessarily offer the most "consistent" image (due to use of S-PVA LCD screens).

Regards,

10e

10e: You say the Eizos are a bit expensive. It really depends on where you're located though. Here in Norway, S-PVA Eizos are generally in the same price range as other S-PVA panels.

It's quite possible.

I find in North America they are comparatively expensive to let's say Dell and Samsung. I understand they have a pretty wide product line, but the HD2441W is almost $2000.00 here.

For example in Canada:

http://www.vistek.ca/store/DisplayL...-wide-screen-lcd-monitor-gray-ce-edition.aspx

And in the U.S. going from PriceGrabber it's $1700+ U.S.

I see there is a new HD2442W with 1080/24p which looks kinda cool.

By way of comparison I purchased my NEC for $1200.00 for the monitor and $245.00 for the calibration kit, and it's 26".

Regards,

10e

10e: You say the Eizos are a bit expensive. It really depends on where you're located though. Here in Norway, S-PVA Eizos are generally in the same price range as other S-PVA panels.

Circuit City doesn't carry this gateway monitor, Best buy carries it for $479.... and the way samsung is with alot of there TN panels, right now atm I am staying as far as I can from them.... IMO there are better monitors out there than samsung, to me there just a popularized name.

I liked there older monitors better, like the 226bw before they had the lottery on them, awesome monitor.
Like I said, Circuit City has it on close out and majority of the stores still have them in stock. Price is down to $429 nationwide.

Back