Best 24 inch under $400

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Looking for the best money can buy for a 24 inch monitor for under $400. And the resolution should be 1920x1200

If you want to buy new, the only options I can think of are Dell 2408WFP (when on sale) or HP LP2475w (when on big sale).

I have thought about those 2. The Dell can be had for about $470 and the HP is about $520

The HP is H-IPS or S-IPS, I can't remember which.

The 2408WFP can be had for around $400 after a pretty slick deal if you're patient.

The HP is H-IPS or S-IPS, I can't remember which.

The 2408WFP can be had for around $400 after a pretty slick deal if you're patient.

A buddy of mine got it for just under $400 with a coupon a while back. Doesn't look like there is a coupon now, but maybe in the future.

Otherwise you either will probably need to look at used/refurbished monitors, or TN panels. It all kinda depends on what you need or want to do with it.

The HP, it is H-IPS
Both have the same LGD IPS panel LM240WU4, the electronics and processing is of a newer type on the Dell U2410, the Dell U2410 is pre-tested and calibrated at factory before shipment.

The Dell U2410 may also have a significant price premium over the HP LP2475w at first. Also the HP LP2475w has been having some QC issues depending on the displays final assembly point.

Tim

I think zod96 was asking about LP2475w and 2408WFP, not LP2475w and U2410.

Exactly I should have said the Dell 2408 or the HP 2475W. I think the Dell U2410 is going to be way way out of my price range. If it really is a 12 bit panel then I'm sure it will be well over $600 when it first comes out..

I was recently in the same boat as zod96.

2408WFP: my top choice
LP2475w: back then was out of my price range
U2410: back then was only a rumor, and it will probably be out of my price range anyway
W2x20P: status unknown, may be quite a while before they show up (if they do)
EA231wmi: I seriously considered it, even though it is 1920x1080

In the end I cheaped out and bought a refurb ViewSonic VP2330wb.

I may end up going the cheap route as well. Maybe a samsung

You know I've gotten about 10 pm's asking what I was going to do with my 2209WA :) at this point I'm not sure. I don't know for sure if I am upgrading or not.

if you don't mind refurb, then you can get yourself a 2408wfp for $275 from this ebay seller.

http://shop.ebay.com/chrishonda123/m.html

A friend of mine recently purchased one and received it just today. Everything worked and looked like it was in new condition at first, but the monitor does have a weird backlight issue where the left side is brighter than the right side. It's very noticable if you have a white background, but this issue is nothing when playing a game or watching a movie. Right he's trying to contact this seller to get an exchange. Most of the user comments for this seller seem promising though. Also, because of this attractive price of $275, he sells out his monitors instantly when he puts them up. I saw that he had two yesterday, and they were gone by the afternoon that I saw them.

Man that is tempting. I think I'm going to wait and see what the U2410 goes for. Their still isn't any solid info on the final price and my luck it sells for like $500

If people had to guess what would you say the U2410 will sell for when it is first released?

The Dell 2408WFP *is* on sale, right now, for $395.10, free shipping, http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=664883&t=1507493 (as cklin mentioned).

I bought mine for this price, and I'd like to know if anyone out there is willing to submit a better panel for <$400, I don't think one exists.

It's been this price, twice now, and is commonly available at $412, no coupon.

I realize that it's not the lowest response time / input lag, but as for other features, it's certainly the top contender for under $400.

Well I need a 24 inch that has good response time and no input lag for FPS games. My understanding is the Dell 2408 is not good at that. I've heard the HP is better overall for about $100 more is this accurate?

The Dell 2408WFP *is* on sale, right now, for $395.10, free shipping, http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=664883&t=1507493 (as cklin mentioned).

I bought mine for this price, and I'd like to know if anyone out there is willing to submit a better panel for <$400, I don't think one exists.

It's been this price, twice now, and is commonly available at $412, no coupon.

I realize that it's not the lowest response time / input lag, but as for other features, it's certainly the top contender for under $400.

Two weeks ago, I got it for $ 412.00 less 10% . . . A reasonable price for a decent display, as I am also 100% text driven with either MS Office or Visual Studio. Thus no sense in waiting for the U2410, that would be at least $ 100.00 higher, if not $ 200.00 higher at first.

Tim :D

Well I need a 24 inch that has good response time and no input lag for FPS games. My understanding is the Dell 2408 is not good at that. I've heard the HP is better overall for about $100 more is this accurate?
Dell fixed the input lag problem with the new revision. Suposedly it is now about the same as the lp2475w's. Afaik the Dell and hp have the same response time. The only difference between the two is that the hp has a h-ips panel and the Dell has a m-pva panel. Even if you could get the hp for only $100 more I still think the 2408 is the better deal unless you need the color accuracy of an ips panel.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
I bought a 2409 from Dell on Friday, sight unseen.

Today I actually did see one, at a friend's house. I'm really, really happy now. The monitor looks fantastic.

His wife owns the 2408, and for the life of me I couldn't see the difference. I walked back and forth, from room to room, trying to see which one looked better. As far I could tell they were exactly the same monitor, except that the 2409 was wider.

Obviously the 2408 has lots of different connecters, and it appears to be built on a different type of stand - but what if all you really care about is the picture quality?

The 2408 is more than twice the cost of what I paid for the 2409 - there's just no way that that's a good deal. I'm kind of surprised that everyone is raving about the 08?

Today I actually did see one, at a friend's house. I'm really, really happy now. The monitor looks fantastic.

His wife owns the 2408, and for the life of me I couldn't see the difference. I walked back and forth, from room to room, trying to see which one looked better. As far I could tell they were exactly the same monitor, except that the 2409 was wider.

Obviously the 2408 has lots of different connecters, and it appears to be built on a different type of stand - but what if all you really care about is the picture quality?

The 2408 is more than twice the cost of what I paid for the 2409 - there's just no way that that's a good deal. I'm kind of surprised that everyone is raving about the 08?

Uh...

I'm going to assume you're talking about the S2409W monitor...

1920 x 1080 resolution - LESS resolution than the 2408WFP

16:9 vs. 16:10 aspect ratio - you have less vertical screen real estate, though it does help with movie watching if you can't stand black bars on the top and bottom. :rolleyes:

S2409W: TN panel. 2408WFP S-PVA panel. Much better color reproduction overall on the 2408WFP than the S2409W.

2408WFP has a lot of multimedia inputs that the S2409W, the 2408WFP has VGA, two DVI-D, HDMI, Display Port, Component, Composite, USB ports, card reader, etc, etc. The S2409W is a budget monitor through-and-through.

If color reproduction isn't your goal here and you want the cheapest possible, then by all means, enjoy your S2409W. Many of us want quality out of our monitors and the 2408WFP is more than worth the additional cost. :)

An additional note, the S2409W is not wider than the 2408WFP. Try putting the monitors in the same room if you want to see a difference.

You've got to sit them side by side, or use each monitor for at least an hour to let your eyes set into them.

Something is a deal only if you would consider buying it. For example, you were in the market of a 24" monitor. Would you care if someone told you that 19" monitors are now really cheap? Probably not. You don't want a 19" monitor, you want a 24" one.

Some of us, for whatever reason, want a monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, so we never considered 1920x1080 monitors (such as the S2409W) in the first place. Therefore, the price of the S2409W is not really relevant here. Of course, you could make the claim that we are silly for wanting 1920x1200 monitors, but I don't think you can convince people what they should or should not want.

For the record, my wife has a S2409W and she really likes it too. Enjoy your new monitor!

Last edited:
Uh...

I'm going to assume you're talking about the S2409W monitor...

1920 x 1080 resolution - LESS resolution than the 2408WFP

16:9 vs. 16:10 aspect ratio - you have less vertical screen real estate, though it does help with movie watching if you can't stand black bars on the top and bottom. :rolleyes:

S2409W: TN panel. 2408WFP S-PVA panel. Much better color reproduction overall on the 2408WFP than the S2409W.

2408WFP has a lot of multimedia inputs that the S2409W, the 2408WFP has VGA, two DVI-D, HDMI, Display Port, Component, Composite, USB ports, card reader, etc, etc. The S2409W is a budget monitor through-and-through.

If color reproduction isn't your goal here and you want the cheapest possible, then by all means, enjoy your S2409W. Many of us want quality out of our monitors and the 2408WFP is more than worth the additional cost. :)

An additional note, the S2409W is not wider than the 2408WFP. Try putting the monitors in the same room if you want to see a difference.

If you've seen the 2409 and the 2408 together then you must have sharper eyes than what I've got, because I literally could not tell the difference.

Also, I realize that I'm pretty horrible at math. But could you explain your logic for me regarding the width sizes of these two monitors? You say that the 2408 is wider? But how can that be?

The 2409 is a 16:9 monitor, whereas the 2408 is a 16:10. If they're both 24 inches diagonally, then shouldn't the monitor that's shorter vertically naturally be longer horizontally? Edit: In fact, according to Dell's own website, the 2408 is 22.04 inches wide, whereas the 2409 is 22.72 inches.

Based on what I saw, I would've said that the 2409 was wider. Dell seems to be backing that up too.

But again, if two monitors have the same diagonal size, then surely the monitor that's shorter will be wider? I'm not following your logic here?

You've got to sit them side by side, or use each monitor for at least an hour to let your eyes set into them.

Either that or take a look at the price, and see that there's nearly a three hundred dollar difference, and naturally do what most people tend to do: namely, assume that because something is more expensive, that it's better as well.

I've bought 5 monitors since 1983 when I bought my first monochrome display. The most expensive monitor I've ever owned was a Zenith ZCM flat screen CRT which I paid $1,200 for.

Believe me, if I think that a monitor looks great, I'm willing to spend the money for it.

I didn't actually see a difference between the two Dell monitors. If you want to justify the near $300 price difference then you're going to have to do it some other way, because the actual image was virtually identical.

I didn't actually see a difference between the two Dell monitors. If you want to justify the near $300 price difference then you're going to have to do it some other way, because the actual image was virtually identical.

Well that's a very surprising assertion to read, but perhaps I can help you spot some differences. If you will accept that the Dell S2409W and BenQ E2400HD use the same panel, you may accept this review of the BenQ as a substitute and compare it to a review of the Dell 2408WFP. You could also do some independent verification.

But if you could not see any difference, you will have to take it on faith that the only difference between the two that is worth $300 is the superior image quality of the 2408WFP. If you meant that $300 is worth more than the improvement in image quality, that's not really a novel idea. Decisions decisions, but some people have more specific criteria.

Also, I realize that I'm pretty horrible at math. But could you explain your logic for me regarding the width sizes of these two monitors? You say that the 2408 is wider? But how can that be?

The 2409 is a 16:9 monitor, whereas the 2408 is a 16:10. If they're both 24 inches diagonally, then shouldn't the monitor that's shorter vertically naturally be longer horizontally? Edit: In fact, according to Dell's own website, the 2408 is 22.04 inches wide, whereas the 2409 is 22.72 inches.

Based on what I saw, I would've said that the 2409 was wider. Dell seems to be backing that up too.

But again, if two monitors have the same diagonal size, then surely the monitor that's shorter will be wider? I'm not following your logic here?
It's not wider in terms of resolution.

Believe me, if I think that a monitor looks great, I'm willing to spend the money for it.

There is a subtle distinction here.

I don't think those who are buying 2408WFPs have any problem justifying the purchase to themselves (otherwise they would not be buying them). So what you meant was that they have not justified the purchase to you. Given that you are not paying for their monitors, I don't think they are overly concerned about your lack of conviction.

Back