Best 24 inch LCD monitor for under $500?

strat4812

Limp Gawd
Just yesterday I received two Gateway FHD2400's which I will be returning on Monday to tigerdirect due to stuck pixels and bad viewing angle, the one thing I can say about the screen is I love the Glossy coating. I do not want to order my next screen online due to fear of getting a screen with defects. So my questions are...

1. What is the best 24" panel under $500?
2. Do companies such as Samsung have a line of Glossy screen LCD's?
3. If I have to order online, are there sites that offer dead pixel tests before shipping out?

I would have the say HP W2408H great monitor if you want Glossy screen. I personally have the HP W1907 19" and the HP W2207H 22" displays. Buy this on Circuit City online for $470. Actually, forget Circuit City, Officemax has this for $430

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21624191&category_Id=288

Review of the HP W2408H
http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2008/01/24/HP-w2408h-Vivid-Color-24in-Monitor/p1

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/0,239029422,339283972,00.htm

The w2408h is one of the better 24" panels, I have one, but if you're looking to get away from the poor viewing angles of a TN, then you're out of luck. You absolutely have to sit back further from a 24" TN than a 22". There's no way of getting around it. Plus the vertical luminance shift of TN film can't be avoided.

Right now I sit about 24" away from my screen, so I don't notice any fringing or discoloration at the edges, but any closer or from any side angle and you will.

As a bit of advice, buy retail. Especially when you fear getting dead pixels. Online return policies suck much of the time and even if they're good, it's a hassle to keep sending monitors back and forth.

i guess you want a *VA. refurb dell 2408 and benq FP241VW would be obvious contenders. there might be some others but for the most part you'll have to spend more than that to get away from TN for the 24-27" screens.

Hrm... I like what I see from that HP LCD, major positive is bestbuy and Circuitcity are in my area and they carry that screen.

Another question,

Anyone ever ship back an LCD? If so how much did it cost to ship?

Depends where you are shipping it from. I live in Hawaii and when I shipped my brothers Acer 24" with UPS on 2nd day air, it costs me $118w/tax to ship.

I think I picked one out, the DELL ULTRA SHARP 2408WFP. It has a S-PVA panel which will help the viewing angles.

Dell.com has it for $517

Anyone know of any retailers that carry it?

The Dell is good, but do note that it's not glossy, and is one of the worse monitors for input lag, which some people have an issue with. Not saying you shouldn't go for it, just noting these things.

Honestly glossy isn't a priority right now. As of right now, my 2 concerns are,

1. Viewing angles
2. ghosting in games

I wish there was a store where I could see this thing in action, I think some people over exaggerate with the input lag. But as of right now, I DO NOT want another TN panel.

with saying that, what about benq's non TN monitors?

There really isn't too much bad about TN panels. I have one and, yes, if you lay on the floor the screen colors lose integrity, but other than that, I play counterstrike with my face 2-feet from the screen and it's fine, Command and conquer 3 looks great, and starcraft is still fun (hard not to be lol). There's definitely no noticeable lag. I watch movies from a few feet back and it's fine. If you're going to judge TN panels, at least go to a store and check out how much these faults actually effect you. Maybe i just haven't "experienced" higher quality screens, but maybe my ignorance (and small wallet) is bliss, as long as I enjoy my viewing experience, I'm happy.

o, and i have an HP W2408h, and it's awesome

*edit* And if you want to check out a dell monitor, go to a dell kiosk in some mall or Walmart, where they carry some dell products

Back