Best 24 inch 4k monitor?

MistaSparkul

2[H]4U
Giving purchasing advice to a friend. Display will only be for general usage with high PPI sharpness so the biggest factor will be how light the AG coating is, since a grainy matte coating will reduce the high PPI benefit. Input lag and response times doesn't matter since it's not for gaming. Any glossy options out there? If not which one has the lightest matte coating?

Well he's not looking to spend an arm and leg just for a general usage monitor lol. 27 inch is also fine he only prefers 24 inch since his primary display is already 24 inches and would like to keep both monitors the same size and simply use scaling on the 4k one. Acer has two 24 inch 4k displays for under $400 with the cheaper one having reports of a grainy matte coating as quoted here:

Aside from the grainy AG it looks good; probably AG removal would work but
I don't want to risk ruining the monitor already. Since I'm using it as a secondary
monitor I decided to just live with the AG coating, at least until someone can confirm
that the AG coating can be removed without damaging the panel.
If the AG coating can be removed it's probably perfect as far as I'm concerned.

As you saw above, very low input lag, this is the lowest reading I've seen,
and it's even upscaling 1080P to 4K with this.

One annoying thing is the way that the inputs are selected, you press the input button
and then it slowly cycles through the three inputs (DP, DVI, HDMI) until it finds one
with a valid signal. It should just be a simple manual selection. I'm going to see if
there's a way to change this behavior in the service menu, if there is one.

Would the Dell 24 inch 4k be any better in terms of matte coating?

24 inches seems very limited in options. Not even the Samsung 24 inch 4k is available here, leaving the only choices of either 2 Acer models or a single Dell model. What 27 inch options under $600 are good choices?

I had Dell P2415Q but returned it due to coating and other issues. The increased resolution was nice but the coating that made white background appear grainy kind of ruined the experience. My spell with the monitor was so brief that I don’t want to go as far as to say it made picture less sharp or text more difficult to read but it certainly was distracting.

It looks like all 23.8" 4k monitors available use LG panels so their coating is likely the same and all 23.6" 4k models use Samsung PLS panel which probably has heavier matte surface than LG modules have. According to Panelook and TFT Central there are 4k panels in 24" class by Innolux and Sharp in production now so other options could be available soon.

Last edited:

Looked at the product description from LG's website and the AG coating doesn't look too promising:

Surface Treatment Hard Coating (3H), anti-glare

Of course I'm no expert on how light/heavy 3H actually is but it just doesn't sound too good.

I had Dell P2415Q but returned it due to coating and other issues. The increased resolution was nice but the coating that made white background appear grainy kind of ruined the experience. My spell with the monitor was so brief that I don’t want to go as far as to say it made picture less sharp or text more difficult to read but it certainly was distracting.

It looks like all 23.8" 4k monitors available use LG panels so their coating is likely the same and all 23.6" 4k models use Samsung PLS panel which probably has heavier matte surface than LG modules have. According to Panelook and TFT Central there are 4k panels in 24" class by Innolux and Sharp in production now so other options could be available soon.

Thanks. Guess I'll tell him if he really wants 24 inch 4k that's grain free/glossy then he will have to wait.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looked at the product description from LG's website and the AG coating doesn't look too promising:

Surface Treatment Hard Coating (3H), anti-glare

Of course I'm no expert on how light/heavy 3H actually is but it just doesn't sound too good.

All IPS panels 27" existing currently with UHD resolution have hard coating (3H).

look at that:
http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=24453,23650,23629,20794,20793

Anyway, it doesn't look so bad this hard-coating 3 h.

I had a Dell P2415Q with this type of coating, and for me it was quite acceptable, only if you manage to close at 30 cm from the screen you could notice this coating, on a panel of 27" would see less of this type of coating.

All IPS panels 27" existing currently with UHD resolution have hard coating (3H).

look at that:
http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=24453,23650,23629,20794,20793

Anyway, it doesn't look so bad this hard-coating 3 h.

I had a Dell P2415Q with this type of coating, and for me it was quite acceptable, only if you manage to close at 30 cm from the screen you could notice this coating, on a panel of 27" would see less of this type of coating.

Problem with the panelook though is that I looked up both the Acer XB270HU and Asus ROG Swift. TFTCentral lists the Acer as having a light coating and the Asus as medium, yet if you look up both panels they both come out as 3H coating which can't be the case as the Acer is much lighter.

Yeah it’s the haze value that indicates how light the AG coating is. Unfortunately it’s not usually listed on monitor or panel specs.

Back