Best 24" gaming monitors

wtburnette

2[H]4U
Sorry all, I know if I had the time to look this up I could find this out, but I'm swamped at work and only have a moment. I need to know a few monitors to choose from that are great for gaming, 24" and in stock. I had a list of monitors from a couple tech sites, but they are all out of stock everywhere I've looked. I don't care if the panel is TN, my current 22" monitor is and I like it just fine. I just want something that looks decent and has great response for gaming and the occasional missed episode of something on Hulu.

Thanks for your suggestions... ;)

Problem is that local stores and Newegg neither carry that monitor any more. Based on a couple other threads, I'm thinking about an Asus VW246H. The price is right and a lot of people have said it's a good quality monitor. Anyone have any thoughts on this monitor?

I have a G2400WD for sale that I just got a replacement on. So it is new in box. Was just going to open it up to make sure it works before selling it. PM me if interested.

Love the monitor just dont feel the need to have 2 24" anymore and need the cash.

EDIT: It's sold for anyone else coming accross this post.

Last edited:
Being the impatient person I am, I went ahead and ordered up the Asus from Newegg. If anyone knows of a reason why this monitor should be avoided, please let me know soon so I can cancel the order. Otherwise, I'll post pics and my impressions of the monitor when it arrives, hopefully on Friday... :D

i am also considering picking up the VW246H. please let us know how it fairs with input lag.

-zipzoomfly has it for $214.99 /w free shipping

Last edited:
I guess that's what I get when I don't shop around. I haven't used ZZF for a while because they usually don't have what I want in stock, or haven't had the better prices. I need to remember to check them all the time... :(

EDIT: Actually after looking at the recent reviews on resellerratings.com, I'm glad I spent the extra $15 at Newegg. I don't want to take a chance unless the savings is much larger... ;)

Last edited:
my biggest concern with purchasing a monitor online is receiving several dead or stuck pixels.
newegg has the 8 dead pixel minimum, and likely stuck pixels dont count towards it. (interesting enough, i went to checkout and no where is listed the recycling fee)
zzf, doesnt state anywhere about a 8 pixel minimum (they do charge waste fee, so newegg and zzf end up being really the same price)
circuitcity/compusa online has a no hassel 30day return policy. oh and both of them are currently running $20 cash back when paying with paypal on purchases over $200.

hmmm decisions....

Last edited:
my biggest concern with purchasing a monitor online is receiving several dead or stuck pixels.
newegg has the 8 dead pixel minimum, and likely stuck pixels dont count towards it. (interesting enough, i went to checkout and no where is listed the recycling fee)
zzf, doesnt state anywhere about a 8 pixel minimum (they do charge waste fee, so newegg and zzf end up being really the same price)
circuitcity/compusa online has a no hassel 30day return policy. oh and compusa is currently running $20 cash back when paying with paypal on purchases over $200.

hmmm decisions....

You're just looking for a good return policy? Amazon should always be your first choice.

But if CompUSA can be trusted, that's not such a bad deal. Edit: Or not. Their shipping is absurd.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks i completely forgot about amazon and my prime trial membership.

-wow that prime membership cant be beat, free 2 day shipping or $4 for next day shipping o_O

thanks i completely forgot about amazon and my prime trial membership.

-wow that prime membership cant be beat, free 2 day shipping or $4 for next day shipping o_O

It's best if you can ride on or split an account's cost with a friend, as Amazon allows for four other people to be tied to their $75/yr account. That equates to $15/person if everyone's pitching in. :D

Gotta love their fast two-day shipping + no tax in CA!

Wish I'd researched better and bought from Amazon, but Newegg has already shipped. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

The best of TNs are quite decent monitors really that won't disappoint against a mediocre MVA/PVA at all. It is true that angle wise a TN can never compete against the other formats, but you don't have to totally sacrifice bleeding and color uniformity despite the inherent losses in color depth and black levels, and to date S-PVA/MVA cannot close the input lag gap sufficiently to suit professional gaming needs.

However, I think better days are ahead with e-IPS. These hopefully will succeed the TNs. They really might even slay the PVAs, although that's a bit early to predict.

Last edited:
I think buy.com may have the best return policy. Haven't tried it, but supposedly they take it back with 30 days even if there's only 1 dead pixel. At least that's what the CSR told me when I called.

p.s. i will never buy another monitor from newegg because of their return policy. i got burned big time on the hp 24" LP2475W. it had several stuck pixels but they would not return it. hp did step up and replaced it, but the replacement was worse, so it actually went in the trash. out 560. how was your day today.....:)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed getting this monitor from Newegg. Newegg has never done me wrong, so I'm hoping things work out.

I'd never order anything from Buy.com again. I've been burned on two different orders lately (well, waiting on one to see if I get burnt, but it's not looking good)...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11483491&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

how about the 2494hm from costco. it is between those two. i also happen to work at costco.....:)

thanks, that was good info, just really want LED, this is why i am waiting for in my next tv. so i thought i would want the monitor with LED also.

:)

i just picked this monitor up from costco and ill be hooking it up here shortly for my pc and xbox 360, ill probably make an unboxing vid and a video of it in progress, lets hope for no lag delay? ;)

Looking forward to that review, Rockstar. I've been looking for a new 24" gaming monitor for my friend. The 2494HM looks good from prad.de as well.

Well, like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed getting this monitor from Newegg. Newegg has never done me wrong, so I'm hoping things work out.

I'd never order anything from Buy.com again. I've been burned on two different orders lately (well, waiting on one to see if I get burnt, but it's not looking good)...

How'd you get burned?

Any good 24inch's with a 1920x1200 resolution? I really dislike the 1080 monitors that everyone is releasing.

How'd you get burned?

Ordered a T8300 processor, paid for overnight shipping, then got strung along for almost a week with bad excuses until I canceled the order. Basically the product was never in stock in the first place. I blasted them on Resellerratings and then they offered me a $40 gift certificate to get my business back. I ordered a T9300 processor with that gift certificate and a couple days later started getting excuse emails from them about my address not being valid. Since I used the same card and address to purchase something from Newegg the very next day, I cry foul to that BS. If I don't get a shipped notice from them by tomorrow, I'm canceling that order as well and spending more money getting the processor from Newegg. All in all, not a pleasant experience and I'll never use Buy.com again.

Wow, believe it or not my order is now showing as shipped (from buy.com). I'll believe it when I have the processor in my grubby little hands, but I might have to revisit my nasty review on resellerratings.com.

Well, my buy.com order shows as being delivered. I won't know if it actually has been, or if they even shipped me the correct merchandise until I get home. The monitor shows out for delivery on the UPS tracking site, so this could be a nice weekend coming up... :D

I have its bigger brother the Vk266H and its been great for gaming. HOWEVER, I am seriously considering replacing it with this when it comes out.

ASUS VG242H 120hz LCD

http://vr-zone.com/forums/443950/asus-showcased-120hz-full-hd-lcd-monitor.html

It may be smaller than my current LCD but the less ghosting makes a happier gamer. :D

I do hope this monitor materializes quickly. Not sure what the plan is for Christmas sales, but considering there's only 2 120hz monitors out with reviews right now, I would think they need to get this 1080p out soon or they'll miss the curve.

I am a 1900x1200 fan, but I'll settle for a 23.5" 1080p if that will get me 120hz without dropping down resolution.

I'm shocked, my T9300 actually arrived! :eek:

UPS wouldn't leave my monitor without a signature, so I have to go pick it up after work tomorrow :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll soon have it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's as nice as I hope!

Well, got the monitor. Looks very nice. So far as I can tell there aren't any issues (whew)! I was going to take pics and do a mini-review, but I was so excited I didn't take the time. I have it sitting on the desk and it looks very nice. I'm still trying to adjust to it. Haven't played any games yet, but I'm assuming they'll look great. I'll take a pic or two when I can tear myself away...lol!

So far, the stand and the fact it's not as tall as I expected are the only issues. I hadn't realized this was a 1920x1080 monitor until someone mentioned it. Guess I didn't do my homework well enough. Oh well, seems to be a good monitor thus far and I'll know more after a couple days use...

w00t! Monitor isn't perfect, but it's very nice. Great so far for gaming and watching trailers off the apple site.

Just got the laptop processor in and my laptop feels totally new. Much more responsive in windows and games are smoother as well... :D

Wish I'd researched better and bought from Amazon, but Newegg has already shipped. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Newegg has excellent customer support. Their dead pixel policy is not the best though. Hopefully you get a monitor without dead pixels.

Where are the pics. Did you upgrade your processor as well?

Last edited:
I have two Samsung T240 LCD's on their way, thinking of getting a 4890 with HDMI outputs....what should I expect?

What are you expecting? A digital signal is digital, no matter if you use a DVI or an HDMI cable.

Newegg has excellent customer support. Their dead pixel policy is not the best though. Hopefully you get a monitor without dead pixels.

Where are the pics. Did you upgrade your processor as well?

Agh, I'm lazy, that's why I didn't post any pics yet. Sorry about that. I'll take a few and have them posted by the weekend. Lately my free time is taken up using my laptop as much as possible to verify the CPU upgrade went fine. I added a T9300 to my P-6860FX laptop, which seems to have gone fine but I'm using the hell out of the laptop to make sure. So far so good and the speed difference in games and windows is easily noticed.

I was thinking of getting the Asus VW246H, but would rather get the Samsung 2492 hm form costo just so I don't have to deal with shipping. I was also thing about the Samsung T220 HD. I want to hook this up to my PS3, but dont know about input lag or motion blur in games or BD. ANy opinions would realllly help!
Thanks!

Don't know anything about the 2 monitors you posted, but the Asus seems great so far. No input lag that I've been able to tell. Of course, I mostly play WoW and haven't played any FPS games on it yet...

Back