Best 23" monitor?

oddlycalm said:
Clarification: Pinkish whites have been reported on a number of Apples on the various Apple forums. A couple HP L2335's have been similarly afflicted. I haven't seen any of them first hand. My choice from the current crop of large widescreens would be the Samsung 243T. I already have a 12ms 19" LCD, so the 16ms 23" panels don't have the same attraction for me. I plan to run both the 19" and the widescreen.

oc

I have a 19” and 21.3” I run side by side, your idea seems perfectly logical to me ;)

Kibbles said:
"The unit has a stated pixel refresh rate of 25ms" :eek:

I would not worry about that. That can be deceiveing. My 213T is 25ms and games better than some 16ms dispalys. At least thats what my eyes tell me. She does movies very well as a bonus. The 24" unit is tempting

jacuzz1 said:
I would not worry about that. That can be deceiveing. My 213T is 25ms and games better than some 16ms dispalys. At least thats what my eyes tell me. She does movies very well as a bonus. The 24" unit is tempting

I agree with you on that. Don't go by the response time, go by your eyes. And movies do look awesome on the 243T also.

I saw the Samsung yesterday at CompUSA and guess what? I think it's the most ugly big screen among all those. But in fairness, I'll give it a shot. What matters the most is the picture quality. That's absolutely true. Well, the Apple is nice. I couldn't take my eyes off it and strangely, I did't see any pink push on that floor model no matter how hard I tried. The color looked very vibrant and oh boy, it's bright. It definitely makes the HP F2304 look like crap.Geez, now my choices are narrowed down to the Apple, the Samsung and the Sony. Using the Apple with my PC would be such a hassle thinking about displaying the BIOS, the POST, not to mention the infamous pinkish whites. The Sony may be on par with the HP and some ppl already reported that they couldn't straight out the color. And I hate that black bezel and that stupid looking stand on the Samsung and god damn all these manufacturers 'cause they've never made my life a little easier.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

ImLazZzy said:
I saw the Samsung yesterday at CompUSA and guess what? I think it's the most ugly big screen among all those. But in fairness, I'll give it a shot. What matters the most is the picture quality. That's absolutely true. Well, the Apple is nice. I couldn't take my eyes off it and strangely, I did't see any pink push on that floor model no matter how hard I tried. The color looked very vibrant and oh boy, it's bright. It definitely makes the HP F2304 look like crap.Geez, now my choices are narrowed down to the Apple, the Samsung and the Sony. Using the Apple with my PC would be such a hassle thinking about displaying the BIOS, the POST, not to mention the infamous pinkish whites. The Sony may be on par with the HP and some ppl already reported that they couldn't straight out the color. And I hate that black bezel and that stupid looking stand on the Samsung and god damn all these manufacturers 'cause they've never made my life a little easier.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Samsung 243T is also available in silver:
b2c_l_243t-silver.jpg

Got my Samsung SyncMaster 243T today. Paid $1800, great monitor, no one dead, no one stuck pixel :) . The response time is rated at 25ms but I notice no difference to the 16ms response time of the HP2335 :cool: .
The Samsung bites the HP and Apple in quality :D .

ImLazZzy said:
Geez, now my choices are narrowed down to the Apple, the Samsung and the Sony. Using the Apple with my PC would be such a hassle thinking about displaying the BIOS, the POST, not to mention the infamous pinkish whites. :mad:

Why would it be a problem? As long as your video card's DVI transmitter can support 1920x1200 the Apple Panel functions no differently than the Sony, or HP. I set up a 20" on an A64 last week and installed windows, went through the the BIOS etc, works like any other monitor.

As for those of you talking about build quality, the Apple panel has it in spades. I haven't personally seen any pinkish tones on any of them yet and I set up 3-4 a week for the last month. But the display's aren't color calibrated (other than colorsync) and are usually under flourescent lighting so I can't say for certain. I do know that I have color matched my Cinema display at work with our Phaser 8400 and Epson 2200 and I have nothing but praise for it's accuracy.

kycysymet said:
Got my Samsung SyncMaster 243T today. Paid $1800, great monitor, no one dead, no one stuck pixel :) .

Where did you buy? For $1800 I'll be willing to get that over the HP if the quality is as good as claimed.

The thing that worries me the most is buying a monitor that has defects and having to do the whole return process, especially if it's online.

cnick79 said:
Where did you buy? For $1800 I'll be willing to get that over the HP if the quality is as good as claimed.

The thing that worries me the most is buying a monitor that has defects and having to do the whole return process, especially if it's online.

I'm down in Europe / Slovenia. I buy it online with 30 days return policy, I’m very happy to keep this monitor and no need to use the return option, before this buy I returned two 2335 HP's, and one T213 with too much dead pixel problems.

olaf2821 said:
Why would it be a problem? As long as your video card's DVI transmitter can support 1920x1200 the Apple Panel functions no differently than the Sony, or HP. I set up a 20" on an A64 last week and installed windows, went through the the BIOS etc, works like any other monitor.

As for those of you talking about build quality, the Apple panel has it in spades. I haven't personally seen any pinkish tones on any of them yet and I set up 3-4 a week for the last month. But the display's aren't color calibrated (other than colorsync) and are usually under flourescent lighting so I can't say for certain. I do know that I have color matched my Cinema display at work with our Phaser 8400 and Epson 2200 and I have nothing but praise for it's accuracy.

You were setting up 3-4 20" displays a week or 3-4 23" displays a week? IIRC the 20" doesn't have the reddish tint issue, only the 23" does.

kycysymet said:
Got my Samsung SyncMaster 243T today. Paid $1800, great monitor, no one dead, no one stuck pixel :) . The response time is rated at 25ms but I notice no difference to the 16ms response time of the HP2335 :cool: .
The Samsung bites the HP and Apple in quality :D .
They say you still can spot some ghosting if you look close enough. But it's hard to notice.
Well, the dot patch seems a bit off : .27 while the Apple has .258 and the Sony too meaning the pictures are a little more *grainy* on Samsung. What do you think? ;)

Edit: Thanks for the silver model pic by the way...

olaf2821 said:

Man!! the 20" Apple seems perfect except the res is 1600x1080. .....AH...GRRRR....what a pain!! :mad: :mad: Did anybody say nothing's perfect, eh?

Edit: Do you guys know how to adjust the color temp when using the Apple CD with a PC??

Hey zicc.
I have been reading the 'best 23" LCD" thread and the Samsung 243T ones. In it you say you have had both the Samsung 243T and the Sony P234.

After a while, how do you still feel about the Samsung over the Sony? I am in a similar situation to you, I have the Sony P234 right now. However it is slightly defective and I am going to send it back. I am just thinking whether to get a replacement Sony, or get a refund and get the Samsung 243T instead.

My biggest worry is the 25ms response time quoted on the Samsung, compared to the 16ms Sony. You said you saw no ghosting on the Samsung, do you still feel the same way?

I'm just wondering which monitor to go for now. I have to agree that I don't think the blacks on the Sony are that great.

Please let me know what you think, Thanks.

zicc said:
I already ran that test on both the Sony and the Samsung at the same time, side by side and did not see any ghosting on either monitor.

How intensive is that ghosting test? I have never run it so I am unfamiliar with it. I am was going to get the HP to power my new SLI gaming rig but like most men I would love to have an extra inch, that you get with the samsung.

Are you a big gamer? If so how does it look on games that really need that good response time. Like Half-Life 2, WOW, Doom3, Tribes Vengeance ect ect.

Thanks

onering, I am in the same boat as you. I have the P234 and it is great but the blacks could be better. There is a weird yellowish cast to the screen in the corners (when displaying black) that disappears if you move your head and look directly at the corner. I also have 5 stuck pixels. Anyhow, I am also considering the Samsung as a replacement but I too am worried avbout the 25ms response. I tried a 213T a while back because so many people said that they could not see any ghosting\smearing despite the 25ms response time. I thought the smearing was terrible and returned the monitor. I'm afraid that this may happen again with the 243T. The Monitorsdirect ghosting test works pretty well. On my 213T the moving white boxes left a short smeared trail. On my Sony they don't. I would really like to know how the 243T does in this test. The other thing that bothers me is the 243T is almost $500 more than I paid for the P234.

I love reading people spouting off things as if they were God's honest truth. I have worked in the display industry for 10 years with some of the biggest manufacturers and I am here to dispel the mistruths that have been told here.

Benq does not equal Acer. Acer has an agreement with Chi Mei now. BenQ is its own company and is the majority share holder in AU Optronics. Yes the FP231 is LG glass but it is all A+, and yes you do have to pay for that, and uses a good Pixel Works scaler.

There are no standards for specs on LCDs. Contrast, response time, and Viewing angle are all marketing specs. Viewsonic was sued by NEC-Mitsubishi for over stating their specs. That is why the same piece of glass in different brands can have different specs.

Most Brands you see are not manufacturers. Apple does not assemble their LCDs they have multiple people building it for them. I was one of the people on the account team for Mitsubishi selling Apple the first Cinema Display and the SGI 1600W and saw directly how their process works. Unless things have change drasticly since then they don't do any assmebly on displays at all.

SDM

why havent manufactors created screens btw 23" and 30"? With a difference of 7" and at least a difference of 1000-1500 (depending on model), its a BIG upgrade.

I found this thread thru google while researching an alternative to the apple cinema and based on reviews here I got the samsung 243T. I had to reply b/c I found the 243T has terrible ghosting. And I mean terrible! For ex, this page has a dark background and white tect, and text doesn't even scroll smoothly. Scrolling with the up/down arrow causes the text to visibly disappear and reappear. Dragging the window slowly across the screen causes the content to blur. DVD playbacks are blurry. FPS games are unplayable, unless you want to feel like you're on an acid trip. I have the apple cinema hd 23" sitting next to it, and the apple shows none of this. The 16ms apple still shows occasional blurring during dvd playback, but nothing very bothersome. The ghosting on the samsung, otoh, is reminiscent of LCDs 2-3 years ago. I doubt it's even 25ms! The problem is inherent with the display -- it's there with DVI or analog, whether fed by a PC or an HD STB.

I really can't believe other people don't see the ghosting. Could I have a bad unit or an older build? (I'm rying to decide whether I should try to get a different unit or give up on this model.) I even checked the box and the back of the monitor to make sure I have the right model, which I do. If someone else sees ghosting on this monitor pls reply.

PS: aside from the ghosting, it's a good display. blacks and whites are quite true (I notice the white on the apple is slightly yellow.) Text is good. And it's much more PC compatible than the apple (no surprise there). It's just very bulky and heavy compared to the apple. But the ghosting is the absolute deal breaker for me.

Back