Best 2.1 Speakers I can get for $400 - $500? !!!

Shad0w99

n00b
Hi there,

I'm planning on a new build this holiday! I would like an excellent audio setup! The soundcard is going to be either Asus Xonar Essence ST or STX. What 2.1 speakers would you guys recommend for me? I would like to note that I don't want to buy the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. A few friends of mine had them and they have quality issues. Several years ago, they were fine but it seems they have gone down on quality. So what are my options?

This will be for music/games/movies! I listen to all kinds of music - instrumental, female vocal heavy songs, rock, blues, alternative, music from the 90's! biggrin.gif anything except hip hop. I also listen to a ton of Asian/Indian/Hindustani/ethnic music as well. I have had mediocre speakers and I would like to get something awesome and something that will last forever! Good quality is a must! I don't know much about speakers but I have been reading as much as I can. Any specific products that I should look into? What do you guys use? Any help would be really great!

Thank you

Is space going to be an issue? Do you prefer passive or active setup. Is 2.1 a must or is 2.0 ok?

One space efficient 2.1 actives are the Swan M50W. For about $300 including shipping, it is a pretty nice set I ear. However, if you want to get the best for $500 and have a 2.1 setup, there may be a better setup. Something like a BIC, Dayton or Energy sub, a bunch of possible bookshelves, and a receiver or amplifier would be a possibility. Other possibility is to get an active bookshelf and a sub and eliminate the need for an outside amp/receiver. Something like the Swan M200MkII or III and a sub is one possibility. Another is the AudioEngine A5 and a sub.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The desk is 72". 2.1 is not a must. Passive or active is fine too. I just want the best sound quality I can get for the money. Someone also suggested A5+ with a Sub. It looks like the A5+ won't have the heat issue like the A5. What do you think would be the best choice for my budget?

Thank you

The A5+ and a BIC F12 would put you a little over budget, but the A5+ has a variable pre-out so you wouldn't need any sort of external DAC/integrated amp.

It's not part of the budget for the speakers but I don't already have them. I'm planning to do all my shopping this weekend and Monday. I like the A5+ so far. The BIC F12 would make the whole thing around $100 over budget. The BIC F12 looks like an excellent value for the money but some reviewers keep saying it's mediocre at best. Does the F12 compliment A5+ well? I could also just get a sub down the road? On that topic, a sub is absolutely necessary with A5+? I don't particularly want room shaking bass but I do watch lot of movies. I read that monitor setups usually are excellent for music but not good for movies/games. I imagine this is where the sub comes in?

Any other suggestions other than A5+?

Thank you

It's not part of the budget for the speakers but I don't already have them. I'm planning to do all my shopping this weekend and Monday. I like the A5+ so far. The BIC F12 would make the whole thing around $100 over budget. The BIC F12 looks like an excellent value for the money but some reviewers keep saying it's mediocre at best. Does the F12 compliment A5+ well? I could also just get a sub down the road? On that topic, a sub is absolutely necessary with A5+? I don't particularly want room shaking bass but I do watch lot of movies. I read that monitor setups usually are excellent for music but not good for movies/games. I imagine this is where the sub comes in?

Any other suggestions other than A5+?

Thank you

The A5+ are not monitors, really. They are influenced by monitor design, but they are not flat like a monitor would be. They work really well for music, and I would assume be great for movies, too. You'll want a powered sub for watching movies, as there is quite a bit of content below 50hz in movies these days.

As far as the BIC F12 goes, yes it will get reviewed as mediocre by sub pros. You need to spend more to get more in these cases. For a ~$180 sub, it will definitely get the job done better than almost any at the same cost. I upped my budget on the last sub purchase and got a Hsu STF-2. I can say I'm very glad I did. It's a different level of sound entirely.

I have the A5 and are excellent for music. I haven't done too much research to pairing it with a sub but for me, I've been ok with movies. I'd definitely recommend them.

I'm probably gonna go with the A5+. You guys saw any good speaker deals? :D I saw newegg has some Polk Audio stuff for sale. Deals! Deals! Deals!

Thank you

Nice on that A5+.
When I got my A5 they had a big sale of like 25% off but not all u can get is 10% from retailmenot

The Audioengine A5+ seems very similar to the M-Audio BX5 D2 which also has a 5" kevlar woofer and a larger 1" silk dome tweeter. Best of all I see the bx5 d2 for only $220 right now on ebay with free shipping (and no tax for me) which fits them much more comfortably into your budget. I got a pair of the older bx5a deluxes that were replaced by these during black friday and I think they are great. Crisp, clear and detailed, great for music.

I've linked to the manufactures website for the specs.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioBX5D2New.html

Back