Best 2.0(2.1) powered for under $150~200

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
I was trying to hold out for upgrading my videocard, but refuse to pay over retail on the 5850's so think I'll wait for the southern Islands to come out.

So instead I am thinking about purchasing some decent 2.0 (2.1) powered speakers. Right now I am coming off some Logitech x-530.

I was looking at the M-Audio AV40, Swan D1080MkII08 and the Swan M10's. I mostly play movies/games/music. I'm just a little bit worried about moving to a 2.0 system, but then again my setup for my x530s suck anyway so I might not be able to tell the difference.

I could go up to around $200 and in that range was looking at the Audioengine A2's, but would prefer to save money if I can.

Also was wondering if I ended up with a 2.0 system and the bass wasn't enough if I could easily add in a powered sub. Currently using a X-Fi forte.

Any recommendations would be appreciated (as I know very little about this stuff)!

I think your plan to buy 2.0 and add a subwoofer is better than buying something like the Swan M10s since you don't get the ability to upgrade.

I own the D1080MKII08s and they are great, sound much better after burn in as well. For music, they are perfect and I can listen to them without my subwoofer turned on just fine.. but for movies it would be lacking.

I've never heard the AV40s or the A2s but I'd assume they sound great too. Personally I'd get the d1080 or the A2s and get a subwoofer of choice later.

I'm still just trying to look around and see what would be good. What sub are you using and how is it all set up? Since I do watch a fair amount of movies/tv from my computer that is important. I definitely though have been coming into limitations with my x530 with music as I've been hanging around a little bit more with music producers. (Kind of jealous of their set ups :p)

I use a BIC H100. I have a y-splitter off the sound card that goes to the speakers and subs via RCAs. You could go for a receiver + speakers setup too.

The way I have setup, the speakers are getting full range which some people say is less than optimal but eh, for me sounds fine, and I doubt its something I would notice.

I own the AV40's and had the D1080mkII '08 for a few days when my co-worker bought them.

The AV40's produced better mids, while the D1080mkII '08's had a bit clearer highs. The AV40's also had better bass, but I would still add a sub because I'm a basshead. If they were equal in price and I already had a sub, I'd buy the D1080mkII '08s.
Otherwise, I'd rather save $50 and have the AV40's with the better mids and bass. You can find the AV40's on sale at $120 shipped every few months. Cheapest I've seen is $99 shipped.... and at that price it's a no-brainer. You'd be shocked at the quality.

Both pairs of speakers blow away logitech speakers (former z-560 owner and sister has z-2300's). I realized that the term "muddy" in bass is defined by Logitech.

I decided to get a used receiver & passive bookshelves because they're so much better.
My best advice: stretch your budget a little and buy these Bic speakers and find a used Onkyo or Denon receiver for $100.

Then save up for another year and add a subwoofer then. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yea the muddy bass is definitely what is one of the most negative aspects of Logitechs. What do you listen to on your AV40's?

Last time I was looking into passive bookshelfs I just realized I didn't have a good place for the receiver so want to shy away at least for now from them. Also for simplicity sake. I'll still think about those BIC though.

Currently leaning towards the AV40's unless the Swans get a little more loving. Might also pick up a sub and was seeing if there were any good enough 8" subs (my room is small) so don't think I need anything big. Was looking at the Dayton SUB-8.

It's too bad the speaker company went out of business, but oh well.

Behringer MS40's
eqe9hi.jpg

Thanks for the add in for another option! I definitely like the knobs and inputs on the front of the MS40.

I was doing a quick check on them and it seems they have a built in DAC. Since I have an X-Fi Forte is that necessary? Also since they added in a DAC would it mean the speaker is of lower quality? (Just repeating what was mentioned in some other threads on the Behringers) Did a little bit more looking at the Swan's and they looked a bit more interesting with 08's than the originals. Still tough to decide!

Also if anyone has powered sub recommendations that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the add in for another option! I definitely like the knobs and inputs on the front of the MS40.

I was doing a quick check on them and it seems they have a built in DAC. Since I have an X-Fi Forte is that necessary? Also since they added in a DAC would it mean the speaker is of lower quality? (Just repeating what was mentioned in some other threads on the Behringers) Did a little bit more looking at the Swan's and they looked a bit more interesting with 08's than the originals. Still tough to decide!

Also if anyone has powered sub recommendations that would be greatly appreciated!
no clue :(
I output sound via toslink from my evga x58.

Well i guess the better question would be how do they sound? What do you listen to on them? Do you have a sub also? I appreciate the response!

Woo finally a [H]ard|Gawd :p Hard to tell with these lame posts I make :p

i watch alot of tv shows, movies, and I don't really listen to music on them well nevermind on occasion i'll hook up my macbook pro to them via toslink and they sound great ( i listen to mainly hip hop ).

gaming performance seems to be spot on, and no sub hooked up to them. I had a z-2300, z-5500, to be honest I don't miss having a sub. i feel that I upgrade quite often and if these didn't suit my needs they would have been given to my dad/brother and I would have moved on. but so far, they are great. I do connect my ety er6i's on them via stereo jack and they sound great with no hiss.

i have grado sr80's, senn hd201s, and my er6i's which I use primarily now. the ms40's are connected to my gaming rig which isn't used all that much anymore.

Hmm that sounds very good. I watch a lot of movies/tv and since my friend is a decently up and coming producer (rap/r&b) I give him a lot of feed back so having a better set up is good. I might still need to go to the AV40's still to save a little bit of space, and add a sub after a try out. Also should measure out my desk....I think Guitar Center or Best Buy might have them for me to check them in person. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your set up would you Roliath?

Thanks Macker! I tried searching here on the forum, but for some reason only came up with the same old ones over and over again. AV40's have once again seem to be at the head for the price. It seems though that local places have the AV40's so I should definitely try and check them out.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your set up would you Roliath?

2dlyyw.jpg

that's not barrel distortion, that's my desk actually bending in the middle, got it at Ikea some years ago.

Last edited:
Alright so I purchased the AV40's from guitar center since it's easy to return and also the same price as it would be online. The speakers sound great!

I think though that I will be in need of a powered sub. I was looking at the Polk Audio PSW10, but I think for me all I would need is a 8" sub. I'd like to keep it around $100 to $150. Also the smaller the better. Like I said above just looking to fill up a small room.

Thanks for the help guys!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am using a Forte with my AV40s and a BIC V1020 sub. I love the setup. The AV40s took a good week are two before they broke in. They seemed to have VERY little detail at first which is a big complaint to those who first get them but they do open up and sound much much better. The Forte takes a little tweaking with the setup to get a 2.1 setup working but after that it sounds great. Especially with the Bass redirection (X-over) that is built into the Forte's software. I cut my AV40s of at 80hz and feed the rest to the sub. Good luck with whatever you get!

Damn Macker that is a beast!

I think I might just go with the V-80, but am tempted with the V1020. Is there a real big difference going between a 8" vs 10" sub?

Copywrite how is your set up done including wiring? I definitely like the idea that you can cut off the speakers at a certain hz!! I was definitely worried about that.

Back