Best 19" LCD for gaming?

pawamuku15

n00b
I dont really care about the price since i have saved up enough. CGW said the Phillips Brilliance 190P5EB would have gotten 4 and 1/2 out of 5 had it been cheaper, but as money is not an issue, it would be 4.5 for me.

What about response times? The Phillips is 16ms, and since i've never really had a computer just for gaming (i am building one soon), i have never really cared about ghosting (my current graphics card is 32mb on a laptop, it could be just too bad to ghost :) ), so i was wondering how that would work out.

On the egg, the best rated is the Viewsonic, so I figgured I might throw that out too. And then there's 20", but I dont know if i have space for something that tall on my desk (I would be getting the 2005FPW in that case, so you guys know).

Thanks to anyone who read the whole post, double for anyone who helps!

ViewSonic is coming out with a 19" LCD that has (4ms) its called the VX924. They start selling next month "May". Don't know if they will be any good though. :confused:

Samsung 930B would be a good one to get too. :)

HYUNDAI L90D+, or wait till the new faster PVA panels are available.

i would say Samsung 930B (i haven't used one b4 but i've used 172X) cos Hyundai L90D+ was crap. (i've used it b4).

Just got my 930B, it's sweet. Going via DVI, got a cable from www.buy.com for ten bucks w/ free shipping (their free shipping said it would take 7-9 days, it took 2, i ordered a dvi cable from newegg the day before and still got the buy.com one a few hours earlier. But the cable I got from newegg was male/female, not male/male like the one i ended up keeping from buy.com (you need male/male)).

I'm curious to see what is the real response time of those "4ms" displays. Hopefully tomshardware or xbitlabs will do another LCD test soon. It seems to me that those guys in that review don't really know how the response time works and how it's measured.

Yeah me too... I was hoping for some pictures too.

I really do not like the casing of that one though... the bezel is a little big and the stand isn't height adjustable. You also can't swivel it. I think I'm going to end up getting the 17" or 19" 8ms thin bezel viewsonics that let you swivel it.

I'm a die hard FPS'er and ive had awesome luck with the Acer 1914SMD (12ms)

Samsung 930B is very good. Have had mine for 2 weeks now. No dead or stuck pixels. Great colors and contrast. Still using VGA but will order DVI cable next week. :)

I'll put in another vote for the 930b.

I've got two of them and they both look very good to my eyes. The colors are vibrant and the blacks are deeper than I expected on an LCD(I'm a first-time LCD owner). There's not a single dead pixel on either one, and they dont seem to have any obvious backlight issues.

So far I'm very happy.

NewGuy said:
I'll put in another vote for the 930b.

I've got two of them and they both look very good to my eyes. The colors are vibrant and the blacks are deeper than I expected on an LCD(I'm a first-time LCD owner). There's not a single dead pixel on either one, and they dont seem to have any obvious backlight issues.

So far I'm very happy.

what high end games did oyu test it on? and on what resolution?

I've only run Far Cry so far and it looks beautiful. The colors are incredible and I'm not noticing any ghosting...at least not enough to be a problem. When I have time I'll be using the monitor with UT2004 and then probably Battlefield 2, hopefully they will look as good.

I'm a picky guy, and was concerned about making the move to an LCD. The 930b is very nice and I can't see going back to a CRT for any reason.

I know I'm being brief, let me know if you want any more info.

NewGuy said:
I've only run Far Cry so far and it looks beautiful. The colors are incredible and I'm not noticing any ghosting...at least not enough to be a problem. When I have time I'll be using the monitor with UT2004 and then probably Battlefield 2, hopefully they will look as good.

I'm a picky guy, and was concerned about making the move to an LCD. The 930b is very nice and I can't see going back to a CRT for any reason.

I know I'm being brief, let me know if you want any more info.
yes can you give me more info please, woudl like to know whats the highiest res you can go with it. would me using two SLI 6600gt cards make a huge difference on the flat screen?

you can only go 1280*1024 on any 17/19 inch LCD.

The 930b is very nice, Circuit City has a deal on them for 350$ right now if you order online.

Oops, sorry I didn't reply about the resolution. I'm running the native res of 1280x1024.

Ended up getting mine at Best Buy. They did have a $90 rebate at the time...sounds like you got an even better deal.

Don't get much prettier then this baby

hifarcry3pr.jpg

NewGuy said:
Oops, sorry I didn't reply about the resolution. I'm running the native res of 1280x1024.

Ended up getting mine at Best Buy. They did have a $90 rebate at the time...sounds like you got an even better deal.
OK I got IT!!!!!!

ALright first impression I didnt like the idea it is not able to twist and turn but I was able to turn it up and down. The buttons I dont like because I got chubby fingers so I have to turn it outward.

onother con when I turned this baby I wish someone can warn me about putting on some sunblock and shades because the brightness level ripped my eyes apart.

Ok good stuff now
I am still elarning how to get calibrate it better to get more vividness not so much bright and I dont want it foggy with a lot or to little contrast.

I dimed it down so I can start surfing the web and looking for some good wallpapers that will go with 1280 by 1024 any ideas that will help for me to test the and hopefully configure the colors. because now I cant really configure it due to these crappy wallpapers that winxp pro brings.

So far I am very impress but I will be more once its fuilly calibrated and then I will test it with eq2, WoW, and guild wars.

IceWind said:

The only thing is your display picture won't look good on a bad one...but it looks great on mine :) I've heard a mulititude of good comments on that LCD

I'm growing interested in these LCD monitors. I currently have a Sony Trinitron 19" monitor and am going to be buying a 19" LCD for college (for space sake).

Is there a review that's the L90D+ vs. the 930B (btw couldn't find the 930B on newegg???)?

IceWind said:

hifarcry3pr.jpg

:confused: i just find it very hard to believe that u actually like L90D+.. do u have bad eye sight or is this ur first lcd?

L90D+ was the worst lcd monitor i ever used. (n i have nothing against Hyundai, i like L70D+ n L70N)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=885614
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=887622

I sold L90D+ n got 910T which i'm very happy with. I play ALOT of games but I still prefer 910T over 930B simply cos its PVA, i said 930B on previous page cos i knew i would get flamed if i said 910T.

Back