Best 19 inch CRT monitor?

xeefus

Limp Gawd
I'm not going to buy an LCD whatever you guys say, so which CRT 19 inch monitor is the best ever made? Price range: 500$~
Not 21", not 17", 19" please.

Best image quality, high resolutions are not that important (1600x1200 is the highest I play with anyways)

Refresh rates are not that important as long as I can use 75 hz @ 1600x1200
No 'bulge', I want a flat one like trinitron and stuff.

:)

I am using a Viewsonic G90f. It can support the resolutions and refresh rates you want, and its only $150 at pricegrabber.com.

Its a good display. it has vibrant colors, and very sharp text. Under $500 though, I would order a used sony FW900 off ebay for dirt cheap. Why not LCD though? They are much easier on the eyes, which helps in the long run. My dad has been using a CRT for 20 years, and his eye sight isn't worth a shit.

Well, my price limit is 500$ then. So, uhm, the G90f thing didn't look to neat actually... I don't want an LCD because of that reason, they don't run in the correct refreshrate and stuff, which sucks for games like Quake3, which I play in 640x480 and 100hz right now.

lcd's don't have a refresh rate from what i know....they have one...but it doesn't mean much. what they have is called a response time, which is how fast the pixels turn on and off.

Ohwell, I still quite haven't understood that except they only refresh the active pixels...? Anyhow, I don't like the feeling of gaming on LCDs (tried the VX922 and VX924 ones, nu-uh)

For $500 why don't you get a 24" FW900? It's probably the best CRT out there.

A 19" CRT does not cost $500, not even the newest ones. If you pay $500 you are getting ripped off.

I'd personally suggest a Diamontron. I had my NEC FE991SB for over two years and it's a rock solid monitor. The superbright modes are especially handy for games and movies. When I got it in 2003 they cost like $300. NEC might have made a FE992 but I am not sure. CRT technology is very mature now I don't think they are making new ones any more.

If you want a 19" CRT, don't spend more then $200 on it. if you want to spend a bit more, get the sony FW900 24".

Mmmh, why not? I'm not going to buy anything except if SED-displays can use diff. resolutions and refreshrates. The FW900 is damn hard to get here where I live tho, in Europe, Sweden.
The Samsung Syncmaster 959NF or Hyundai Imagequest Q995? How are they?

The Samsung Syncmaster 959NF or Hyundai Imagequest Q995? How are they?

they are decent I suppose, but what didn't you like about the viewsonic G90f? Most 19" monitors can run the resolution you want at those refresh rates. If that's your main concern, then just get whatever looks best to you.

I have an older NEC 22" FP monitor, but you can't get those anymore, they rock!

NEC does make an FE992, which is pretty nice and can be had for a cheap price. I have 4 at work, 1 which I sit in front of all day and it's great.

Hmm, the weight of those monitors are pretty damn heavy still... I wish LCD's could use diff. resolutions and stuff!

Anyhow, the thing is: I can't find G90f in Sweden either, not in stock atleast...

The 'pixel size', does it matter in image quality? Or is it resolution/monitor size? This is kinda confusing :D

19-inch CRTs are hard because they're a weak category in a dying market.

Here's my two suggestions:

NEC MultiSync FP912SB
LaCie Electron Blue 19

mikeblas said:
19-inch CRTs are hard because they're a weak category in a dying market.

Here's my two suggestions:

NEC MultiSync FP912SB
LaCie Electron Blue 19

Wow... That LaCie looks damn sweet. Neat thing actually :D That 'screen'-thing to block lights, not that dumb. But shit, those are impossible to find in Sweden! If you could help me find one in Europe I'd be so happy!

eli said:
I am using a Viewsonic G90f. It can support the resolutions and refresh rates you want, and its only $150 at pricegrabber.com.

Its a good display. it has vibrant colors, and very sharp text. Under $500 though, I would order a used sony FW900 off ebay for dirt cheap. Why not LCD though? They are much easier on the eyes, which helps in the long run. My dad has been using a CRT for 20 years, and his eye sight isn't worth a shit.

Ur monitor sucks.

The bestn 19" CRT is the MItsubishi 930SB. Ya cant beat it.

stay away from viewsonic, as they are horrible. Just get urself a nice appature grille.

Hmm, are you sure? I can't even find it in Europe, just like all the other ones. D'oh. Sometimes I wish I lived in the U.S just because of the prices and availability of all those nice stuff! The FW900 would actually be very very nice tho, but I can't go on LAN with that one :eek: Well, I'm not on LAN so often... so I guess I could try getting one, but that would take quite a while.

Ur monitor sucks.

Your mother sucks.

viewsonic makes pretty good monitors actually. With aperture grill you have two funky lines going down each side.

eli said:
Your mother sucks.
You the man now, dog. Wow, you really told him. Are you going to write a book about leadership? I would buy it!

eli said:
viewsonic makes pretty good monitors actually. With aperture grill you have two funky lines going down each side.
Really? I thought the grille support wires were wires left-to-right a third and two-thirds through the heigh of the tube, not on the sides.

xeefus said:
If you could help me find one in Europe I'd be so happy!
I'm afraid I won't be able to help you. I don't speak Sweedish very well, and the international phone charges are prohibitive.

I hope you can find something you like. Good luck!

Whats with all the contradicting on this forum. Someone dissed me, so I dissed them back. Its none of your bussiness, so unless you can say something that could help the person who started the thread....piss off

eli said:
Someone dissed me, so I dissed them back.
I know! It's awesome! I've never seen such a wordsmith at work before. Are you going to do a lecture series after the book comes out?

what exactly is it that you do at work? Contemplate your navel?

eli said:
what exactly is it that you do at work? Contemplate your navel?
The only thing that surpasses your creativity is your consistency! Wow!!1!

So you think I am creative and constant.....how does that make sense

Comeon, I did not ask for flaming in my thread! If it's possible I'd like the few messages that just been posted to be removed by a moderator. :(

Well, hmm... I kind of found a LaCie Electron Blue 19 incher, but I'm not sure it's left in the store cause the site was updated last time 9 months ago...
So, if I get my hands on it, should I buy?
I've heard ONLY good about LaCie, and the monitor is newly-calibrated.

xeefus said:
Well, hmm... I kind of found a LaCie Electron Blue 19 incher, but I'm not sure it's left in the store cause the site was updated last time 9 months ago...
So, if I get my hands on it, should I buy?
I've heard ONLY good about LaCie, and the monitor is newly-calibrated.
The LaCie monitors really are great. Thing is, I don't think they make them anymore. They don't list any CRT products on their website now.

Like I said, you're going after a product that is an unpopular part of a dying market right now. Some manufacturers have stopped selling CRTs, and some of those that do don't make make 19-inch products anymore. As such, your choices for this kind of product are going to be slim.

If you're having a hard time finding the product in your home country in the first place, you might want to check into finding service, parts, or support for the product later on. While the specs on the LaCie might be outstanding, perhaps you'll be better off with a brand that's not quite as good but better supported where you live. I can't guess which companies provide the best support in Sweeden; that's something you'll have to decide on.

The Sweedish LaCie Website lists only their headquarters in Stockholm. Maybe that's normal; maybe it startles you.

xeefus said:
Comeon, I did not ask for flaming in my thread!
You sure didn't. But itsn't it wonderful to get the added bonus of those quality contributions? It's rare to be treated to such a display.

mikeblas: Thanks alot for your help...
Going to check out that LaCie thing, if I can get one, I will get it!
If not, so, uhm, how's the Q995 Hyundai? Got 0.20 thing like the monitor the person above you said. Does it make it sharper, or something? But LaCie is better, hmm... Ah well! I'll let you all know if I get one, if you want to know that is.

I was going to get the Lacie as well, but they arent made anymore. Damn shame, they were amazing CRTs.

Same with the MItsubishi 930SB. Awesome, but HARD to find. They are also not being made.

It sucks that it seems like only the kick ass CRT's get discountinued. So lame.

Maybe, god damnit. I'm probably going to get the Q995 anyhow. Seems like an OK monitor :\ The only ones I can get are: 959NF and Q995 which seems nice... Anyone tried them?

I was going to suggest the Lacie Electron19Blue as well.. They are great monitors. I'd sell you mine, as I'm moving on to LCD soon, but its actually going bad. Don't fret, it was my own damn fault, kind of a long story..But Basically from day 1 until now, this monitors been nothing but excellent. Most the time I run everything at 1280x1024, but this monitor can handle up to 1920x1440, higher then id ever care to go on this monitor. 1280 fits just fine, but to each person their own.

Anyway, I guess since they don't produce them much more, it could get difficult or quite expensive getting one over there.Don't suppose you know of a local swedish graphics company that got liquidated recently? ;)

Good luck.

Ebay might be your best bet.

xeefus said:
Hmm, are you sure? I can't even find it in Europe, just like all the other ones. D'oh. Sometimes I wish I lived in the U.S just because of the prices and availability of all those nice stuff! The FW900 would actually be very very nice tho, but I can't go on LAN with that one :eek: Well, I'm not on LAN so often... so I guess I could try getting one, but that would take quite a while.
You mean you havn't heard of forklift LANing? :p

You might try looking for the Samsung SyncMaster 900NF. That is what I have, and it is a very good monitor.

Just to add my two cents, avoid Viewsonic. CRTs being the tricky analog hardware that they are, you should ignore overly glittering reviews by people who are having a great experience with Viewsonic screens... It's not the same experience for everyone, and you don't wanna play roulette with shitty geometry and crappy focus.

Having said that, if you can get that LaCie , do it! I hear good things..

eli said:

Your dad's eyesight isn't worth shit because he's old, not because he uses a CRT...

I have a G90fb right now and it's great. Crisp text, sharp colors, etc...

He's been using the monitor for 20 years....so that obviously had something to do with it.

G90f is a good monitor especially if you like games.

I had a G90fb awhile back and the text was absolutely horrible at any resolution. In the center it was crisp but everywhere else was blurry as hell and almost completely unreadable. I will admit games did look outstanding on it though, the colors were probably even better than my Diamondtron.

Well... My current one really really sucks... It's not even flat :D So, uhm. Well, I think I'd be happy with any monitor... The V90F thing viewsonic thing thing hasn't gotten so great reviews from what I've seen...

Sigh... Still no input on the 959NF? :)

Sony's FW900 is pretty sweet, it's a 24" CRT and many people here swear by it. You can get them on ebay but they are refurbed.

If used monitors are an issue for you, you can always go for the NEC FE992, it's 19" and I got mine for about $215 shipped. The picture is really nice and everything but unless you really like high pitched squeeling sounds I would stay away (At least from my experience).

best of luck! :D

I've only tried one Viewsonic CRT (P95F+B), bought it brand new from Newegg.com a few years ago but ended up sending it back due to poor focus in the corners and very uneven geometry (Im extremely picky as well) ,Newegg was nice about it and refunded the money, I then ordered a 21" Sony G520P from newegg and it turned out to be a far better monitor and to this day has a very crisp ,evenly focused screen with excellent convergence and acceptable Geometry.

My main / current PC monitor is a 24" FW900 which I bought from Ebay a few months ago (its used and not a refurb) ,This is the best PC monitor Ive owned and has excellent geometry , convergence , focus plus gaming via widescreen is nice, My only gripe with the FW900 is the long warmup times ,it takes about 25 minutes before the black levels are ideal but from what I've been hearing its a common symptom. After this warmup time the black levels are pitch black.

Back