best 16:10 24" monitor available in the US? (No gaming)

insoc123

Limp Gawd
Hello. I have a Dell U2410 that I use at my office and a Dell U2713HM that I use at my home. I've found that the 27" monitor is not as confortable to my eyes as my U2410 (I have the same desk at my office and at my home) and now I'm looking to buy another 16:10 24" monitor. I have tried the 16:9 24" option but I rather have the 16:10 option.

Based on my needs: word processing, emailing, internet browsing and youtube videos (no gaming) which is the best 16:10 24" that I can buy at amazon.com?

I have read many positive reviews about the Dell U2412M but have read some bad reviews as well. I would not like to buy another U2410 though. Is the Asus PA248Q and/or the PA249Q better than the U2412M? How about the U2413?

Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Last edited:
It's bad that the best two monitors (the Benq one and the Asus PB) are not available in the US!

Really need to make a decision. Any insights? Thank you very much!

You probably are bothered by PWM, which is bad in the cheaper Dells. I got a 24" Dell at work that caused eye strain for me even at almost dark brightness setting.

I hear the Asus 248 and 249Q have the same issue.

Try the Eizos, EV2333 and FS2336. HP Z24i is also supposed to be PWM-free.

The Eizo FG2421 sounds awesome (PA panel and 120Hz w/ black frame insertion), but the thread here seems scary with so many issues. It's also pricey.

Anyone know how the HP Z24i compares to an NEC 20WMGX2? Things I like about the NEC:

1. Glossy screen, text easy to read, colors pop, no crystalline effect or other distortion.
  2. Decent response time. There's no ghosting when scrolling a window of text, for example.
  3. Calman did a great job auto-calibrating it. Accurate grayscale, gamma, and colors.

Thinks I don't like include an increasing number of dark pixels and an intermittent hum. The hum happened just the other day, but a monitor that makes noise is a dealbreaker, so I hope the Z24i is silent. I know the HP is edge-lit LED so there may be some backlight bleeding around the edges. The NEC has quite good uniformity.

You probably are bothered by PWM, which is bad in the cheaper Dells. I got a 24" Dell at work that caused eye strain for me even at almost dark brightness setting.

I hear the Asus 248 and 249Q have the same issue.

Try the Eizos, EV2333 and FS2336. HP Z24i is also supposed to be PWM-free.

The Eizo FG2421 sounds awesome (PA panel and 120Hz w/ black frame insertion), but the thread here seems scary with so many issues. It's also pricey.

Thank you for your suggestions but the EIZO monitors are not 16:10 and/or not available directly at amazon.com. I need a monitor than in case it's not satisfactory to me I can return it.

So far it seems that the best monitor that matches my criteria is the Dell U2412M!! though I know it's not the best out there!

Based on my needs: word processing, emailing, internet browsing and youtube videos (no gaming) which is the best 16:10 24" that I can buy at amazon.com?

I have read many positive reviews about the Dell U2412M but have read some bad reviews as well. I would not like to buy another U2410 though. Is the Asus PA248Q and/or the PA249Q better than the U2412M? How about the U2413?

The PA248Q =Asus's version of the U2412: both use LED PWM Dimming and the same grainy matte coating as the U2410. The PA249Q uses the same semi-glossy coating as the U2713HM & should be free from matte coating cross-hatching while the HP Z24i which also uses the same coating is not. The PA249Q is a wide gamut monitor, so if you want proper colors you will need to use the sRGB mode which has locked color settings or learn how to enable color management, otherwise the colors will be inaccurate and over saturated. Enabling color management in Firefox is easy (google it) while Chrome is troublesome.

The NEC P241W=upscale version of the U2410, don't waste your money. NCIX US sells the BenQ BL2411PT...it should become widely available soon.

Last edited:
NCIX US sells the BenQ BL2411PT...it should become widely available soon.

Wow, thank you for that info! I like the idea that you can get this monitor at a US store! I'm going to read more about it but I'm definitely very excited at this interesting option because from what I have read this BenQ monitor seems to be the one of the best 24" 16:10 monitors available as of today.

Thank you for your suggestions but the EIZO monitors are not 16:10 and/or not available directly at amazon.com. I need a monitor than in case it's not satisfactory to me I can return it.

So far it seems that the best monitor that matches my criteria is the Dell U2412M!! though I know it's not the best out there!

Amazon does sell the FG2421 directly, for $556, but yeah I know, if they were 16:10 they'd be perfect.

Don't buy the Dell, I think you'll have the PWM.

Allright, I just bought the BenQ BL2411PT at NCIX US. I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

Nope, they canceled my order because: "We do not accept Foreign I.P. orders."

Back on the quest again. A very good review I read about the BL2411PT said that finally the U2412 went to the second place as the best "cheap" 16:10 monitor. So as the BL2411PT is not an option I think I have no other alternative that to buy the U2412...

The best would be to wait for the BL2411PT to be available in other sites but nobody knows if that would ever happen.

Already told you and provided links to threads with the information you seek, check one of the many threads you made about the same topic.

How do the Dell P2414h and U2414h compare? Edit: oops, they are 16:9. But they are PWM free.

If you have to get a monitor right now, and can't find anything else, maybe look at that cheapo Asus 24" 16:10 IPS (was it VS24AH)? The one that goes for about $220ish? It'll have PWM, but at a high enough frequency as not to bother anyone. Cross-hatching may be an issue, however.

The 2412 would be pretty close to last on the list of models I'd suggest to anyone to consider. High flicker and very grainy.

If you really, really want the BL2411PT and are okay with buying overseas, you can always get it new from eBay.

Already told you and provided links to threads with the information you seek, check one of the many threads you made about the same topic.

You've been very helpful. Thank you. I read the complete PRAD.DE review. Just two questions: The basic difference between the HP Z24i and the U2412 would be that the Z24i uses a LIGHT anti glare screen and it has no PWM in comparison with the U2412 that has a STRONG anti glare screen and PWM? Right? How do they compare in response time/lag?

Now I'm almost decided to get the Z24i instead of the U2412. I am using right now a Dell U2410 and even though I'm completely fine with it I rather have a screen with more "glow" like my U2713HM and a monitor I had and sold it: the U2913WM which had a fantastic screen, no glossy but no grainy like the U2410.

Thank you!

Hi NCX! I just ordered the HP Z24i! I read also this great review (translated) at: http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recenze/hp-z24i-pokracovatel-uspesne-linie-24-ips-1920-x-1200-px-test

What I like the most is that the reviewer talk about the Z24i, the BL2411PT and ASUS PB248Q in most cases like the same display. I guess all of them uses the same display? There are differences of course but having these 3 monitors in an almost-the-same category is great news based on how good the BL2411PT and ASUS PB248Q are rated but also quite difficult to get where as the Z24i I bought from B&H.

I'll let you know how it went. Thank you!

Back