Best 1080p Chromebook?

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
I really want to give the Chrome OS a try. I am so used to 1080p or higher on almost all of my devices that I am not sure a 1366x768 display would do it for me. From what I have read I would want 4gb of RAM, 16GB SSD is fine. I would want something with a 13" to 14" display.

I am concerned about a lot of the processors out there in Chromebooks. I think there are some with the i3 in them, but most seem to have the Intel Celeron in them.

I have been looking around and don't see a clear cut favorite out there. I would primarily be using it for just web browsing and want one that is fast.

Lastly, if my concern is with the processors in many of them, should I just want another 6-9 months for updated models, or is there a good one out there now?

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 is the only 1080p one with an IPS display. It is stuck with a slow Baytrail based processor.

The Chromebook market is getting oversaturated. I would assume in the later months companies would start using i3 processors or larger form factors in an attempt to differentiate. As is, most chromebooks have the same specs/performance just with a different company logo slapped on top.

I had a pixel for a year. Such a sleek machine, and the screen was to die for. I'd maybe look to snag one off someone

The Chromebook Pixel is way more than I am willing to spend on a Chromebook. I am sure it is a beast but I am looking more in the $300 range.

In the meantime I created my own "Chromebook" using Chromium Lime. The issue that I am having with it, it works perfectly though, is that I used a 3 year old laptop with a 128gb SSD. I am not running it as dual boot or a VM, it is the sole OS on the laptop. The problem is that it only see's something like 750mb free disk space while running Chromium. After setting it up (BTW, Lime worked better for me than Vanilla) I even formatted the drive again and set it up again but it still only see's 750mb free disk space (all of the rest of the drive space is unallocated). I have been looking online but can't find a solution yet.

My "Chromiumbook" confirmed to me what I suspected: it is much faster in general and significantly faster for web browsing than Win7 on the same hardware. I will definitely buy a real Chromebook once the specs on upcoming Chromebooks improve.

Last edited:
FWIW, I still like my Samsung Series 5 550, 12.1" 1280 x 800 Chromebook.

Has a very nice display, and renders text at a size I find readable. And still feels fast enough, even though it's a couple of years old now.

Text rendered at 1080p on a 13" screen is too hard to read for me. So nice to see that Acer has a 15" 1080p display out. Maybe that will be my next Chromebook.

Almost picked up the Toshiba 1080p Chromebook 2 but Amazon reviews were mixed about performance especially multitasking and even basics like browser scrolling and wonder if it's attributed to the anemic 1GB L3 cache and/or throttling since it's fanless. On top of that, it sounds like they locked it down even further so it's harder to run Linux.

Back