Best 1 slot PCIe x1 card for physx?

RyanH

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if there was any decent PCIe x1 card that would work decently with nvidia physx or is there nothing good available. I would be using it with a 5850CF setup and a PCIe x1 card with a 1 slot cooler is all I could fit in my motherboard.

Look for an eco 9800GT. The EVGA one I bought is not only single slot, it also draws power from the PCI-E slot and doesn't require any additional power plugs. With 112 SPs and 1GB of memory it is probably the ideal physx card.

I was wondering if there was any decent PCIe x1 card that would work decently with nvidia physx or is there nothing good available. I would be using it with a 5850CF setup and a PCIe x1 card with a 1 slot cooler is all I could fit in my motherboard.

I'm going to just tell you now, if you have any ATI cards in your system the Nvidia software will disable hardware acceleration of PhysX on Nvidia cards. There are work arounds but they're a pain to deal with. And you might have to redo it each time you update Nvidia cards.

This is a big part of the reason Nvidia has lost me this round.

Edit: I will suggest you take a look at the GTS 220 & GTS 240 as an answer to your question though.

Last edited:

Are you going to need to modify the card or the slot to fit the x16 card? It'd be nice if there were some x1 cards around ~9600-9800 performance.

Ive been looking for a reasonably priced 1x card for a third display. Doesn't exist.

i would have to ASSUME that since evga makes the gtx275 with a built in GTS250 core that JUST f**king maybe, the GTS 250 is a GREAT PhysX card...

Are you going to need to modify the card or the slot to fit the x16 card? It'd be nice if there were some x1 cards around ~9600-9800 performance.

That's impossible IIRC even 7600gs was bottlenecked by bandwidth.

The bottleneck really isn't that much actually. IIRC I saw an 8800 @ x1 still pushed 75-80% of the pixels of the same card @ x16.

Ive been looking for a reasonably priced 1x card for a third display. Doesn't exist.

This is for PhysX not a display. So single slot GTS cards work perfectly well for that at a lower cost than GTX cards and the GTS cards are not EOL.

I herd you cans cuts a slots behinds yours 1x and it'll works with a 16x kardz.

Back