Best 1.5+ TB Disk for a JBOD / ZFS / AOC-SAT2-MV8 Setup

jron

n00b
I'm really struggling to find a 1.5 TB or larger hard disk to start my 8+ disk array using Supermico's AOC-SAT2-MV8 SATA controllers. There is a rumor that Supermico's AOC-SAT2-MV8 has poor support for 1.5 TB drives, especially Samsung's (according to a FAQ on Supermicro's site). I can't afford "Enterprise Class" hard disks; even if I could afford them, I wouldn't buy them. I'm looking for the best disk to run a stable, low power, low noise, non-clicking, JBOD software array - thoughts?

Is anyone successfully running a Samsung 1.5 TB disk array using the above mentioned controller? I'm interested specifically in the EcoGreen F2 HD154UI. Is there anything better for roughly the same price? The WD TLER stories are preventing me from pulling the trigger on a purchase :mad: It seems most disks have this "feature" built in... How manageable is it for different manufacturers / models. Do any have a properly reduced time-out period similar to the 7 seconds of a modified WD disk?

Is anyone running 2.0 TB disks with the Supermicro controller?

If disks larger than 1TB should be avoided on my configuration, which would you suggest?

Thanks,

-

Last edited:
mytmouse, if this thread goes south, let me know what you decide on.

Apparently the AOC-SAT2-MV8 doesn't support drives larger then 1 TB. I wish they would put that on the specs page. Time to get an RMA from newegg.

dudepron, I've read multiple posts on other forums about the controller working with Seagate 1.5 TB disks... I would like to confirm this with someone on the forum though. I would also like to confirm that SMART data is available using this card... too many questions :(

i am running 8x 1.5tb sammy drives on my AOC-SAT2-MV8 but they are NOT the Eco ones you are looking at.

I have an AOC-SAT2-MV8 in my WHS box using the following drives:

4x Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
1x Seagate LP 1.5tb
3x Samsung HD154UI

All that I had to do to get it running was apply the driver from the CD manually

Every drive works as expected with no issues so far

Last edited:
dudepron, did you determine if the card was bad or if it was just not functional with your Samsung drives?

Is anyone else using HD154UI drives with Supermicro's AOC-SAT2-MV8?

dudepron, I stand corrected. I completed my server build last night (with the exception of the drives) I'll be holding off on purchasing anything until someone can confirm that they have all 8 ports working on a low RPM 1.5+ TB setup. Thanks to all for the information. What a PITA. :(

I talked to supermicro and apparently the card does not support anything above 1TB "officially". Marvell doesn't publish the chip specs. If you can get it to work, good for you. I think my card may have been bad and was going to RMA it until above. I just returned it. The PCI-E version does support 1+ TB.

Follow-up:

I have 8 HD154UI running on an AOC-SAT2-MV8 with no problems. The AOC-SAT2-MV8 board seems to have some detection issues when running less than 3-4 disks... after adding more they seem to be detecting just fine. I doubt I'll be rebooting often but if I do get a detection failure with the 8 disk setup I'll post another follow-up.

Back