BES Express, Server 2008 R2, and Exchange 2003 SP2.

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
We are doing a HUGE migration and upgrade at work right now. Everything is moving from Server 2003, Exchange 2003, and SQL 2005 to Server 2008R2, Exchange 2010, and SQL 2008 R2. So far everything has been going well, then I started to play with blackberries. We only have a few so buying the full out BES wasn't worth the money so instead we went with a software called "Notify Link." Basically BES but 3rd party. Long story short, it sucks and we wanted to switch. Since BESX is free we are using that.

Now I recently did a install of BESX on a client who was doing a similar migration (though they were already on Exchange 2010) and it went fine. On ours we are having MAPI issues during the install process. I called RIM about the problem and they stated that the Microsoft Messaging API and CDO download v1.2.1 was too new for Exchange 2003, and suggested that I find my Exchange 2003 disks and just install the Exchange management console for the correct MAPI version. Well I did this, BUT, Exchange 2003 is not supported at all in the 2008 R2 environment (Windows doesn't even let you install it). I also tried copying the mapi32.dll and cdo.dll from the exchange server to the system32 folder of the BES server, registering them, and still no dice. So I am kinda stuck here. I want to upgrade our exchange first (because it would make the BES part easier) but this is getting shot down because there are some squeaky wheels that want their blackberries working now instead of the email update.

Suggestions?

Tough one,
I would say there is only 2 solutions

1 - Setup another PC on Server 2003, part of the domain just to run BES, upgrade exchange then migrate BES. Good on paper as it gets the blackberry people happy first, leaves you free to do exchange upgrade, but then needs a BES migration and reconfiguration for the new exchange server.

2 - Tell them to wait, get exchange done, then BES. Will probably get people angry so you would need to do the classic technician role of "there is no good alternative solution that wont introduce further problems for your blackberrys later" approach. probably your best bet

or 3 - tell them to get to **** and get something with active sync and enjoy the benefits and save your time. I did that with our MD, he moaned, and finally demanded i get BES installed. then went and got an iPhone the next month...

As i said i would have said the 2nd option was the way to go.

G

just add the OWA to BIS on the phone so they get email right now, perform the upgrade and install bes like it is suppose to be

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'm thinkin there is going to be a wait until we get 2010 installed but only tuesday will tell.

@Digital-Vortex: I completely agree with #3 I hate everything about RIM and everyone else has gone to a iPhone or Android based platform (with a few on WinMo). Unfortunately the users that have BBs are not exactly the ones to listen to logic or reason.

BES still syncs the best, are the best business phones..

I cant see the advantage of BB Sync myself, apart from tasks in outlook.
Thats all, email contacts etc sync fine with active sync with no speed difference.
At least from my observations.

G

Back