BES Express install woes.

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so here goes. I have BES Express 5.0.2 and Exchange 2010 Rollup 4. BES is its own server, and then I have a CAS server, and a Mailbox server.

I installed the exchange 2010 management tools on the BES server as advised by RIM for the MAPI / CDO tools. The setup verified it saw those as installed and usable. I get to the part where it asks me to put in the exchange server details. It finds and verifies the username / server as being correct then when I click next it tells me the MAPI agent couldn't be initialized verified it is installed. I verified that the user was not hidden in the GAL and they weren't.

Anyone got ideas on how to move forward.

cant offer you any help, but I'm getting ready to go down your exact path. I'm currently getting exchange 2010 up to SP1 so I can start the roll ups. Then begin BES express. Maybe you can post here what you figure out.

The best advice I can offer is unless you are doing a CAS Array, there is no good reason to run separate CAS and MBX servers in exchange 2010. Also look into DAG if you have multiple mailbox servers.

Ok, so here goes. I have BES Express 5.0.2 and Exchange 2010 Rollup 4. BES is its own server, and then I have a CAS server, and a Mailbox server.

I installed the exchange 2010 management tools on the BES server as advised by RIM for the MAPI / CDO tools. The setup verified it saw those as installed and usable. I get to the part where it asks me to put in the exchange server details. It finds and verifies the username / server as being correct then when I click next it tells me the MAPI agent couldn't be initialized verified it is installed. I verified that the user was not hidden in the GAL and they weren't.

Anyone got ideas on how to move forward.

Even with Express you get a single free support ticket. I know it's hard to burn it on install rather than save it like an IT pack rat that we all are...

BlackBerry's Enterprise Support is very good. Give them a call.
If you have a service contract. I thought Express wasn't supported really since its free. I've heard as soon as they hear "express" they pawn you off to the carriers.

Nah, RIM will take your money as fast as MS for a support ticket. Express or Enterprise, They don't care. Other than the fact that Enterprise normally is sold with a support contract, they support them the same. I haven't done one on Exch2010 yet. The last one I did was on 2007 and I had to install the CDO/MAPI tools separate prior to the install of BES Express. CDO/MAPI: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&displaylang=en The 2010 install docs say that the Management tools will suffice?

Nah, RIM will take your money as fast as MS for a support ticket. Express or Enterprise, They don't care. Other than the fact that Enterprise normally is sold with a support contract, they support them the same.

Very true. And unfortunately we already burned our support ticket because when we were originally setting this all up it was with exchange 2003 and after spending about an hour on the phone the guy from RIM figured out that you can't use the 2003 MAPI objects on server 2008 R2 so I would have to wait for our move to 2010, or downgrade the BES server to 2003.

I haven't done one on Exch2010 yet. The last one I did was on 2007 and I had to install the CDO/MAPI tools separate prior to the install of BES Express. CDO/MAPI: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&displaylang=en The 2010 install docs say that the Management tools will suffice?

I have tried installing just the MAPI/CDO objects, just the EMC, and both the EMC and MAPI/CDO objects. All give the same results.

You get one free support case, i know i have done it before.

Also, does your server have a 0 as a octet in the IP?

If its used then just get another licence from them.
I ordered 9 at once since we install it for clients, never used their support for it yet but thats 9 support cases in my view :D

yes you get 1 call per license. i used it one time with BES 5. you can use your support case from any of hte ones you registered.

tip - sign up for it, dont wait the 24 hours, call back with your case # and you get help =)

Does it give you any error codes besides "mapi cant be verified" Also there is an install log under Program Files(x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\Installer. It should be able to give you more information and possibly something to google.

marley1 said:
yes you get 1 call per license. i used it one time with BES 5. you can use your support case from any of hte ones you registered.

tip - sign up for it, dont wait the 24 hours, call back with your case # and you get help =)

That's dirty... I like it! :D

I had this same issue when I did a recent install of BES Express.... and I fixed it on my own but don't remember how, let me do some digging and post back here with what I did.

EDIT: Of course now for the life of me I can't remember what I did. One thing to check is to make sure you're running the install under the service account BES will be using and that account is a local admin. I do know that I was able to google-fu and answer but can't seem to find it to save my life. Part of me thinks that local admin piece was part of the solution but I honestly can't remember.

Last edited:
I'd verify you have the same version of MAPI on both servers.

Are you logged in with the besadmin account on the bes server? did you already set your besadmin permissions in Exchange?

i think you need newer mapi on the bes server than on exchange..
i definitely used that cdo-mapi download in a few exchange 2007 environments and it worked, but maybe you need a higher version for 2010..

you are using this, right? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&displaylang=en
it is from oct 2010.. pretty recent..

usually what works for me with BES installs is to do something else, and come back to it a day later and just go through their install instructions again.. you may not have that convenience though.

i think you need newer mapi on the bes server than on exchange..
i definitely used that cdo-mapi download in a few exchange 2007 environments and it worked, but maybe you need a higher version for 2010..

you are using this, right? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&displaylang=en
it is from oct 2010.. pretty recent..

usually what works for me with BES installs is to do something else, and come back to it a day later and just go through their install instructions again.. you may not have that convenience though.

I am using that version of MAPI and actually last night blew away my VM, built a brand new one, and installed that version of MAPI, and still same issue. I am calling RIM this morning regardless of cost (yay company credit card) and will post the resolution here.

A few things were the issue. First because I had attempted to connect this VM to the old exchange environment as well as the new one the MAPI version on the BES was out of wack. A completely fresh install fixed this. The second issue was linked to the fact that we are putting this BES into a hosted environment and we had to make a few ADSI edits as well as a few edits to our Address books for the BES to be able to see all our customers. Everything seems to be ok now, but we shall see when we get live users on it next week.

Back