Bent pins in RMA

Torkil

n00b
I RMA'ed an unstable generation 1. Ryzen CPU. Upon receiving it the vendor said it had damaged pins and my packaging was to blame. I thought that was odd, since I believe
I packaged it rather well, but I know CPU's er fragile things. However, they provided a number of pictures of their unpacking which I looked over and as far as I can determine
the CPU looked just fine until they removed the hard plastic I had put it in. They claim the picture isn't accurate enough to determine this due to the plastic packaging
but on the first picture clearly showing bent pins it's also wrapped in plastic.

Can anyone spot anything I might have missed? I'm about to take this to the judicial system just for the principle even though the value of the Ryzen 1200 is about the same as the
entry fee for the small claims court.

Bilag E -Capture_fejlfri_zoomed.JPG

Bilag F -Capture_nu_med_fejl_zoomed.JPG

Attachments

• 413182_32cf87fa-ae4a-4ad0-9e2a-dba95b3ca262.jpg
    413182_32cf87fa-ae4a-4ad0-9e2a-dba95b3ca262.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 413182_47658516-3cba-410c-820a-93167f45ea47.jpg
    413182_47658516-3cba-410c-820a-93167f45ea47.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 413182_ba0b4fbb-d913-4a38-8de7-9a75efe31d04.jpg
    413182_ba0b4fbb-d913-4a38-8de7-9a75efe31d04.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 413182_e0f4dc01-f316-4767-94b0-d6666bba72ce.jpg
    413182_e0f4dc01-f316-4767-94b0-d6666bba72ce.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 0
I can’t see anything through the plastic. But that wasn’t the ideal way to pack that cpu. It needed to go in the clamshell it was originally shipped in. That secures it and protects the pins. I *could* see the potential for bent pins the way you shipped it. As far as them providing proof, I don’t see it.

I can see them. That's fucked up they shipped out a cpu without proper packing to prevent that shit from happening. Sad part is AMD's chips with their pin design is the achilles heel when it comes to shipping bare chips.

Send that shit back asap.

I can see them. That's fucked up they shipped out a cpu without proper packing to prevent that shit from happening. Sad part is AMD's chips with their pin design is the achilles heel when it comes to shipping bare chips.

These are pictures provided by the company he sent the rma to. That’s his packaging job per the OP.

Last edited:

I RMA'ed an unstable generation 1. Ryzen CPU. Upon receiving it the vendor said it had damaged pins and my packaging was to blame.
yup. never seen an amd chip shipped like that. needs a clam shell. pins are fixable. could fix and retry rma, but i doubt theyd take it...

Thank you for your candid opinions about my packaging job.

They sent me plenty of pictures of bent pins, here's one:

413182_818171c0-0b13-4a2b-90ef-68fbfb006706.jpg

My beef is solely with this picture they sent me of my CPU still in the improvised clam shell. I zoomed in on it and the top 4 pins at the right edge in the circle are the same ones that are bent on the later pictures but they are not bent on this one. You might not be able to see the pins clearly through the plastic but you can see the pattern the ends make and the distance between them.

Attachments

• Bilag E -Capture_fejlfri_zoomed.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 0
I think if that was your original method for packaging, you’re on the losing end of the stick here. You could try to be patient with customer service, they may in the end give you a replacement. But you don’t have much to defend by packaging it like that. And that’s not being rude, that’s being honest.

I think if that was your original method for packaging, you’re on the losing end of the stick here. You could try to be patient with customer service, they may in the end give you a replacement. But you don’t have much to defend by packaging it like that. And that’s not being rude, that’s being honest.
Why exactly is that? The CPU is wedged in between two pieces of hard plastic similar to the original clam shell. Since the cavity was too large I put it in a bag and put a piece of foam next to it to keep it in place. I agree the original shell had been better since it would ensure zero movement within the plastic, but this could hardly move at all either.

I don't think you guys are rude but I am curious what you see as the problem.

This wasn't a return to AMD btw, but to a Danish distributor. They can't demand original packaging, similar packaging will do. But even if it had been in the original packaging they would be free to deny the RMA if there were bent pins due to Danish law and I would have had to make a claim with the carrier instead. So if the picture shows the pins being straight before they removed the hard plastic the fault would be theirs, regardless of the packaging.

Bilag G - straight-1.jpg

Top four pins between the black lines. Those do not look bent to me.

Why exactly is that? The CPU is wedged in between two pieces of hard plastic similar to the original clam shell. Since the cavity was too large I put it in a bag and put a piece of foam next to it to keep it in place. I agree the original shell had been better since it would ensure zero movement within the plastic, but this could hardly move at all either.

I don't think you guys are rude but I am curious what you see as the problem.

This wasn't a return to AMD btw, but to a Danish distributor. They can't demand original packaging, similar packaging will do. But even if it had been in the original packaging they would be free to deny the RMA if there were bent pins due to Danish law and I would have had to make a claim with the carrier instead. So if the picture shows the pins being straight before they removed the hard plastic the fault would be theirs, regardless of the packaging.

View attachment 338911
Top four pins between the black lines. Those do not look bent to me.
Look straight to me. While I wouldn't have packaged it that way, it definitely seems wonky in the before and after pictures.

I RMA'ed an unstable generation 1. Ryzen CPU. Upon receiving it the vendor said it had damaged pins and my packaging was to blame. I thought that was odd, since I believe
I packaged it rather well, but I know CPU's er fragile things. However, they provided a number of pictures of their unpacking which I looked over and as far as I can determine
the CPU looked just fine until they removed the hard plastic I had put it in. They claim the picture isn't accurate enough to determine this due to the plastic packaging
but on the first picture clearly showing bent pins it's also wrapped in plastic.

Can anyone spot anything I might have missed? I'm about to take this to the judicial system just for the principle even though the value of the Ryzen 1200 is about the same as the
entry fee for the small claims court.

View attachment 338878
View attachment 338879
you can see the bent pins in the third pic. Still in your packing.

top edge, corner of CPU just before duct tape.

FYI you can buy official CPU clamshells pretty easily. I just did it, to ship some Intel CPUs which I sold here.

Unfortunately with CPU’s I’d either ship in the original / cpu clamshell or in a motherboard. Nothing else is similar as these are very fragile and are very easily bent.

Doesn't look like the CPU was secure inside the plastic box so it bounced around inside there which bent the pins. You don't really need the whole packaging but keeping the little plastic container would definitely be advisable.

Always use the original clamshell for storage or shipping, AMD or Intel.
If you lose yours you can buy extra on ebay.

Back in the old days (like frys oem tray stuff) they would stick the cpus directly into the anti static foam making a more secure against pin bending. Maybe worth trying in the future if you are in a pinch but keeping the original box is a must or at the very least the clam shell.

Never ever ship a pinned-CPU in a static bag like that. You should always save the clamshell for future use. Very bad idea to throw away the package/box the CPU came in. Same for other components as well, like motherboard box, graphics card box, etc, etc, etc. Lesson learned. Go on with your life. Buy a new CPU. Be happy again.

Back