Bent pin, no longer works after fix

Mccaula718

Gawd
So i got a new case for my htpc. I wanted to see if my scythe andy would fit in the case, so i pulled the stock cooler off. When i did this, it ripped the cpu off. I was dumb and forgot to turn on the pc to warm the arctic silver up.

Well when i pulled it off, i must have bent a pin. I was dumb and in a hurry, i tried to put back in, with success(doh!).

The system wouldn't even post. I checked all the cables and everything, but it still didn't work. I figured it must be something with the cpu since i just pulled it out. Well i bent a pin. I bent it back with a needle, and slowly placed in socket, pulled it out and its good as new; looking at least.

When i placed it back in the system, the pc still wouldn't even post, just blank screen. I tried different psu, nothing. Double checked all the wiring, nothing.

Do you guys think i totaled the cpu? It's not a big deal if i did bc i have an x2 coming next week, but its gonna bother me all weekend til i get it.

I guess i could have made the original post more succinct by simply asking "Can you bend a cpu pin to the point of no return, even if it physically appears alright after a fix?"

Unlikely. They are metal through and through, so as long as there's enough material to keep them physically together, there's far, far, FAR more than enough to conduct electricity.

try pulling the cmos battery for 30-45 seconds and unplug the psu from the wall.. put it back in then plug the psu back in and see what happens.. might work.. might not..

My motherboard has lights that indicate problems. It has 2 showing when powered which means "abnormal problem"

:( What chip is it? I've had countless of cpu's bent and broken pins, but all still work.

EDIT: Pins? uhmm....sounds like one of your Athlons in your sig.

Get some Isoprophyl Alcohol (DVD/CD cleaning spray) and run it down through the pin side of the cpu chip, let it dry, not under heat wise, though. And see if it still posts.

It's an athlon 64 3200+ s939. I'll give that a try tomorrow. If that doesn't work, i'll just have to wait on the 3800x2. If i somehow managed to damage the mb, i'll just have to get one on the fsft thread. Cheap fix, just pain in the butt

Test if it in another motherboard, If it doesn't work, a 3800x2 would be a nice upgrade.

It's probably not the CPU. I've bent pins back dozens of times with no ill effects. Remove the ATX power from the mobo, and plug back in as tight as you can, remove the ram, only plug 1 stick in. Make sure your hard drives and optical drives are plugged in right. Remove the CPU, make sure the pin is still intact.

Sounds more like an issue with the processor than anything else. As always it pays to be paitent. One time I was trying to get an IDE Cable off a CD-Drive that decided to stick. I pulled so hard that the IDE Cable Head was still attached to the drive with me holding the ribbon. Cheap IDE Cable.

It's an athlon 64 3200+ s939. I'll give that a try tomorrow. If that doesn't work, i'll just have to wait on the 3800x2. If i somehow managed to damage the mb, i'll just have to get one on the fsft thread. Cheap fix, just pain in the butt

If you have to get a new motherboard and CPU, for the love of god don't stay with s939.

If you have to get a new motherboard and CPU, for the love of god don't stay with s939.

For sure. For what some people want for that stuff you can get much better.

You probably zapped the cpu btw. Any time your screwing around with pins and you get the right ones touching with enough static and zzzzztttttttttt....and you never even know it, except it don't work.

Maybe the CPU could be damaged if one the pin is one of the pins for power deliveries and missing that pin could kill the cpu when it was turned on.

I'd say you killed the CPU some how. Wouldn't be shocked if the motherboard is toast in some way as well.

I already bought the cpu as a cheap upgrade. It's just a htpc, single core just wasn't cutting it. I hope its not the mobo, it would only cost like 30 more dollars but then i'd have to wait even longer.

maybe you damaged the socket when you pushed the bent pin back into it ???? i know a few weeks ago when i removed my stock HSF from my Phenom II i bent 4 pins, put em back and it works better..heck even have a higher OC headroom(may be the different stock cooler...one with copper in ito_O)....or as has been stated your fried your CPU(hope its this one)

How can you fry a cpu ? I mean at least the two pins are touching each other, how can you kill it, considering you bent it firstly, bent it back to normal and now fits in nicely in its little pin hole on the socket of the motherboard without the other pins touching? I don't see how that would zap the whole thing, when it isn't touching other pins on cpu itself and in the socket.

Static electricity can destroy a cpu if you happened to release a static discharge to one or more of the pins.

Never happened to me, besides static charging a couple motherboards from the tips of my fingers not wearing an anti-static wrist wrap.

Just bending a few pins in itself shouldn't bork a cpu. I straightened about half the pins one time on a cpu that had something dropped on it and it fired right up afterwards. I've also fixed several over the years with just a few bent pins and never saw one dead from it. Broken pins are a different story though. You sure you didn't kill the motherboard when you ripped the cpu out of the socket? Myself, I wouldn't bother fixing it unless you can test both the motherboard and cpu out before buying replacements. Easier to just build a newer/better system (even if it's used) that mess with socket 939 stuff as high as socket 939 cpu's are getting - at least the ones worth having from a performance standpoint.

LOL, who wears an anti-static wrist wrap :) . Just always discharge yourself first on the case or PSU :p .

I don't anymore, I used to, but sadly I was close from death from touching one of the PSU's (I know WTF?) I was messing around one day, and luckily my house has those power protection kick in at the power box, if it didn't, I surely wouldn't be here making my post.:(

Got my new cpu today, placed it in and it fired right up. Maybe it was esd on the a64 3200+ or the bent pin fried it. Either way, i'm happy with the new cpu.

Thats good to hear. Just a note, don't throw away your old cpu, try it on another board and you never know...it might work :)

Back