Bent CPU pins on mobo - can it be fixed (easily)???

yenniedn

2[H]4U
Hello All,

I had a motherboard sent to me in the mail and when it arrived, there are three pins that are bent in the CPU socket.

I don't think the mobo will function in this state . . . so can this sort of thing be fixed? If so, is it relatively easy to do or will it have to be done through ASUS?

Thanks in advance for the help!

How bent are they and which direction?

I have heard of people using a toothpick or something to straighten them level with the other pins. Be careful not to touch them or get anything wet/oily on them, although it's not the end of the world it could cause premature corrosion or a bad connection. Also don't move them around very much or they could break off.

Then fire it up with hopefully a cheap processor. At your own risk here of course. ;)

ASUS will replace the socket for something like $50.

It does really depend on how bad they are bent.... guess the packer shoul dhave installed the socket cover before shipping.

I have actually straitened the socket pins out on Dell board before... It wasn't too uncommon to recieve a replacement board that had at least one bent cpu socket pin.

They basically went back in place pretty easily with just a nudge from a small screwdriver.

You can try to gently nudge them back into place. The worst that could happen is the pin breaks off and you have to send it in for repair or replacement anyways.

take a quality automatic pencil to them. put it over the pin and gently push it straight up. always works for me.

only problem is... that doesn't work with the pins in the CPU socket.... we are talking LGA775 here.. The CPU doesn't have pins.

Thanks for the reply guys . . . sorry if I left out some details.

The mobo is an ASUS Intel 775 model and it's the pins in the CPU socket on the mobo, not on the CPU itself (as poster above stated, 775 CPU's don't have pins).

I'll give it a try and see if I can straighten them out. You're right, worse thing I could do is break them . . . but they're bent already so it can't get much worse.

i have always used a mechanical pencil to straighten out bent pins. Just be sure not to bend the pin in multiple directions to straighten it cause you could possible break it off. Just be gentle.

I bent one tonight using my Tuniq Tower 120... tightened it down too tight and could not for the life of me figure out why the PC would not post... low and behold... bent pin. Fortunately, it is now POSTing!!!

Back