Bent/Broken pins in a Rampage IV Extreme. Anything I can do? Bought from here

Status
Not open for further replies.

crewxp

Limp Gawd
Hey. I just purchased a rampage IV extreme from the forums and I noticed that there were bent pins in the cpu socket. I don't have anything thin enough to try to bend them back, but I can take it to a repair shop at the end of the week if it's fixable.

Edit: I found a magnifying glass and it looks like there are 7 pins in total that are bent. When I look closer, it looks like 2 of them are actually broken pins. There is barely any pin sticking out, but there's still something. One of the pins looks impossible to bend back up, as it's bent backwards almost 180 degrees touching the motherboard.

-If I can take it to the shop and they bend them back besides the two broken ones, is the motherboard still usable?
-Should I send it in to ASUS to see if they can fix it?

I contacted the seller, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

There was also thermal paste in random places in the motherboard, I was able to remove it all besides the thermal paste in the ram sockets. Is that okay?

Kinda Alright Photo: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/66/img20120613162721.jpg

Last edited:
Hey. I just purchased a rampage IV extreme from the forums and I noticed that there were bent pins in the cpu socket. I don't have anything thin enough to try to bend them back, but I can take it to a repair shop at the end of the week if it's fixable.

Edit: I found a magnifying glass and it looks like there are 7 pins in total that are bent. When I look closer, it looks like 2 of them are actually broken pins. There is barely any pin sticking out, but there's still something. One of the pins looks impossible to bend back up, as it's bent backwards almost 180 degrees touching the motherboard.

-If I can take it to the shop and they bend them back besides the two broken ones, is the motherboard still usable?
-Should I send it in to ASUS to see if they can fix it?

I contacted the seller, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

There was also thermal paste in random places in the motherboard, I was able to remove it all besides the thermal paste in the ram sockets. Is that okay?

Kinda Alright Photo: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/66/img20120613162721.jpg

Was it listed in the description of the item? Sounds like you should get a refund if it wasn't.

No, it wasn't listen in the description of the item. And the cpu cover was also on the motherboard when it came, so I couldn't really tell until it was taken off. I should have known from the random thermal paste everywhere

don't do anything until you hear back from seller, the sec you try to fix something that is/was broken the blame will fall on you.

alos asus will charge you to fix bent pins.

Damn. Okay, I'll take this up with the seller then. Typically, do they refund the cost to ship back to them?

Just had wondered if it was still safe with them like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back