BenQ XR3501: 35" 21:9 2560x1080 144Hz CURVED (Q2 2015)

...gamers are buying ultrawides over 4k 16:9 displays is because verticle resolution is fixed (and horizontal, not) in many modern games (especially competitive ones like DOTA2).

Do you imply that wasting pixels on the sides, far away from the center vision sweet spot, is the right approach to the alleged performance problem?

That picture of the subpixels in the 4gamer article is not so dandy

http://www.4gamer.net/games/194/G019491/20150605022/SS/003.jpg

With subpixels of that size (79ppi) and still so distorted this looks like its using a matte coating, and certainly not one of the light ones.
Around Rog Swift levels or even grainier.
There is a chance they increased AG on this sample to reduce reflections since it was presented at a public EXPO in a well-lit room but I'd not get my hopes up too soon.

There is a chance they increased AG on this sample to reduce reflections since it was presented at a public EXPO in a well-lit room but I'd not get my hopes up too soon.

I would rate the probability of that as about 1000000000:1

Ergh 79PPI AND thick AG coating that is enough to rule this out for me... 79PPI with a glossy coating would be not great but just about reasonable... 79PPI with a grainy AG coating will just look bad.

Last edited:
That picture of the subpixels in the 4gamer article is not so dandy

http://www.4gamer.net/games/194/G019491/20150605022/SS/003.jpg

With subpixels of that size (79ppi) and still so distorted this looks like its using a matte coating, and certainly not one of the light ones.
Around Rog Swift levels or even grainier.

holy shit that looks horrible

I love it : VA + 144hz + 21/9 but it lacks G-sync, so I'll wait for the future Acer X35 uses the same panel and adds G-sync. Unless review & quality sucks I'm buying that to replace my old 26" 60hz TN desktop.
I do have a 120hz 17" gaming laptop and it's so smooth... you must use high refresh monitors to know. I don't think anyone with good eyes will not see the difference.
35" has the same height as my 26" 1200x1920, so I think the rez is just ok in desktop.
The 1080p was standard years ago and everybody loved it then, now add the contrast of VA and 144hz ;-) ... so I don't understand why its no good anymore.
Of course a 40" UHD 144hz would be great, but it's not possible with DP1.2 & current single GPU's. (I have a gtx980)
I love the deep blacks & contrast of VA so I'm dissapointed that most high end screens are IPS. I sit in front of my monitor alone so I don't need the viewing angles of IPS and the ips bleed on latest high refresh rate monitors is awfull.
A pitty the rez is not higher as I'll also use it for other things than just gaming, but 144hz on the desktop is still a great thing to have.
I'll never buy an other 60hz.
I had the 60hz 40" UHD Philips for 2 weeks but returned it as it was not smooth enough when being used to 120hz.
(a pity because with Gsync and >100hz I would have kept it)

Last edited:
I love it : VA + 144hz + 21/9 but it lacks G-sync, so I'll wait for the future Acer X35 uses the same panel and adds G-sync. Unless review & quality sucks I'm buying that to replace my old 26" 60hz TN desktop.
I do have a 120hz 17" gaming laptop and it's so smooth... you must use high refresh monitors to know. I don't think anyone with good eyes will not see the difference.
35" has the same height as a 26" 1080p, so I think the rez is just ok in desktop.
The 1080p was standard years ago and everybody loved it then, now add the contrast of VA and 144hz ;-) ... so I don't understand why its no good anymore.
Of course a 40" UHD 144hz would be great, but it's not possible with DP1.2 & current single GPU's.
I love the deep blacks & contrast of VA so I'm dissapointed that most high end screens are IPS. I sit in front of my monitor alone so I don't need the viewing angles of IPS and the ips bleed on latest high refresh rate monitors is awfull.
A pitty the rez is not higher as I'll also use it for other things than just gaming, but 144hz on the desktop is still a great thing to have.
I'll never buy an other 60hz.
I had the 60hz 40" UHD Philips for 2 weeks but returned it as it was not smooth enough when being used to 120hz.
(a pity because with Gsync and >100hz I would have kept it)

Are you sure the Acer version is gonna have Gsync ?

I hope this monitor has low input lag. I would be a sad panda if it isn't as fast as the 120hz and 144hz monitors I've had.

The monitor should already be available in Dubai and Malaysia for some reason, the rest gets it end of July/August
Too bad about the price, 999$ is too much imo, and its even more expensive in Europe.

Here's another little hands-on video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pig35Hwsgww

Hoping tftcentral will get a review sample soon

I don't think this is worth more than about £500... if it had 3440x1440 and a better coating I would definitely be interested at £700, but with a crappy AG coating, low res and no sort of adaptive sync this is definitely not worth that much.

I don't think this is worth more than about £500... if it had 3440x1440 and a better coating I would definitely be interested at £700, but with a crappy AG coating, low res and no sort of adaptive sync this is definitely not worth that much.

until someone else comes out with a curved Ultrawide @ 144hz, Ben Q will most likely be charging all the money

until someone else comes out with a curved Ultrawide @ 144hz, Ben Q will most likely be charging all the money

yes maybe it gets a price reduction once the Acer Predator X35/Z35 is out. should be around September/October afaik
since the Acer is supposed to have G-Sync it might also come with ULMB support

Man it just seems like manufacturers are just barely missing the mark. If this had g/freesync and 3440x1440 resolution it would be the perfect monitor right now. The Acer XR34 misses the mark by not having 144Hz refresh and perhaps some would prefer a VA panel with 5000:1 contrast. Still waiting for the day when we see 3440x1440 144Hz with g/freesync :(

Just found a first chinese user review of the monitor, with lots of photos:

http://group.jd.com/thread/20000001/20872642/20000004.htm

Spyder4 was used, so no proper black level measurement....
brightness range is 70 - 365cd/m² (if that was correctly measured)
preset gamma is very close to 2.2, native colour temp a bit too high like on most LED LCD
panel covers sRGB fully and with some overcoverage towards red and green (most users will probably welcome the slight oversaturation)
will need to wait for more detailed review for proper contrast and response time/input lag measurements

Last edited:
Last edited:
Question for anyone who has a strong background in using it, is super sampling really the beez knees like stated in the NCIX video? This monitor looks perfect outside of the pixel density, but I'm using 3 50 inch 1080p panels right now, and have no issues.

Man it just seems like manufacturers are just barely missing the mark. If this had g/freesync and 3440x1440 resolution it would be the perfect monitor right now. The Acer XR34 misses the mark by not having 144Hz refresh and perhaps some would prefer a VA panel with 5000:1 contrast. Still waiting for the day when we see 3440x1440 144Hz with g/freesync :(

It's not that they're missing the mark so much as missing a critical technology component... Display Port 1.3, which is necessary for the bandwidth that 1.2 simply isn't enough for. We will NOT be seeing a 3440x1440 144Hz screen until it becomes the standard. The DP 1.3 specs have already been confirmed, and I am sure they are working on the next gen of monitors in a secret laboratory somewhere, but what you seek will not be possible until such a screen is developed with DP 1.3.

FURTHERMORE, you will also need a new GPU to run it, as obviously no existing GPU has a DP 1.3 port either. Start saving, it's going to be an expensive upgrade! :)

Had the Samsung curved VA and although the blacks and lack of BLB were really nice, the overall performance compared to the Dell curved IPS has steered me away from VA panels. That said, if it were a 144hz @3440x1440 VA, I'd definitely reconsider.

https://imgur.com/a/fgAIQ
Comparing the LG 34UC97-S, Samsung S34E790C, and Dell UltraSharp U3415W 21:9 curved monitors with photos.

another chinese test:
http://zdm.yixun.com/detail/AGasskeeke

subpixels look more like the older amva and not amva+
still not sure whether it has a medium or light AG coating

X1Y4n8O.jpg

surely that can't be right... wtf

Back