BenQ XL2720T: 144hz 1920x1080 Matte Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Gaming Monitor

Completely new 27" panel being used? Look's like a 1ms panel like the BenQ 11t/Asus QE 24"ers. Just for those that like 27" 1080P. ;)

ANOTHER 1080p display, just what we don't need.

Where are the '1200p' and '1600p' displays? Hell, where's the 1440p displays at that? This is a 27" after all.

Cannot believe we are still waiting for non 1080p 120Hz+ displays.

Where are the '1200p' and '1600p' displays? Hell, where's the 1440p displays at that? This is a 27" after all.

Seeing as how there isn't a 1440p TN panel at 60hz on the market... methinks that 1440p TN at 120hz is a long ways off.

It's probably the same panel as found in the Iiyama 120hz g2773hs, which also has a "1ms" pixel response.

I am aware that the product page states that this is a 120hz monitor, but so does the XL2411T's product page and it is a 144hz monitor.
Some people still like the ASUS VG278H, and the bigger screen size is important to many. Let's support the arrival of new LightBoost monitors, even if it's not 1440p.

ASUS should follow suit; since for the specific case of CRT-style gaming (LightBoost enabled in 2D) 1ms monitors have shown superiority over 2ms monitors when it comes to LightBoost strobe backlight's ability to bypass pixel persistence -- there's less inter-refresh crosstalk that leads to faint trailing "sharp ghost" effects, worst-seen on VG278HE's ("HE" model) but nearly non-existent on VG248QE's and XL2411T's. (And 1ms monitors have significantly less left/right eye crosstalk for those shutter glasses users).

I agree though; I do hope higher-resolution strobe-backlight-enabled displays (LightBoost) will still follow suit. More importantly, an IPS LightBoost display, if possible (which may be possible via accelerated scans of refreshes, e.g. refreshing 120 Hz refreshes in 1/500sec, to allow more time for IPS pixel persistence to settle before strobe backlight operation).

Hell, where's the 1440p displays at that? This is a 27" after all.

Surely you own sli titans and are willing pay to pay 900$+ for a 2560x1440 3D TN right?

I doubt it. No one has the hardware to to max out a 2560x1440 display @120fps and 2560x1440 in 3D.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't want 1440p, too demanding/expensive! Still happy with 1680x1050 xD So I always find it amusing with these "not yet again 1080p display" comments :D

Seems like I'm the only one around not in for the resolution-race. But then again I used 1280x960 @ 100Hz on a 19" Trinitron CRT up to like 2010 haha so 1680x1050 still seems plenty large to me. :D

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't want 1440p, too demanding/expensive! Still happy with 1680x1050 xD So I always find it amusing with these "not yet again 1080p display" comments :D

Seems like I'm the only one around not in for the resolution-race. But then again I used 1280x960 @ 100Hz on a 19" Trinitron CRT up to like 2010 haha so 1680x1050 still seems plenty large to me. :D

I'm with you. For gaming, I'd rather play at a resolution where I can get a contant 120fps with 3d enabled. For desktop use, I can see the need for higher resolution, but for games, 1080p is enough for me.

Eh? You think you're alone? Up until *last week" when I bought my VG248QE, I used 1024x768 on my beat up and almost dead Dell P1130 CRT! (and sometimes 1280x1024, 1600x1200 only if I could keep 100+ FPS at all times), and I'd crank up the adaptive or supersampling AA as high as I could. I was using 1024x768 for the last 13-14 years (going back to Voodoo2 SLI).

So you're not the only one...

Why does it need to be higher than 1080p just because it's 27"?

I'm not going for quad SLI, or even SLI. I do however like to sit with my monitor positioned so it's about 5 feet away from my face so I like having a larger display. Obviously that's my personal preference as I could just sit closer to a 24" screen, but I don't want to.

Also since we don't have a 120hz 1440 tn panel anywhere to be see in a product that can actually be purchased right now... it's kind of a moot point to complain that it's "another 1080p". Heck, aren't there only 3 or so 27" lightboost displays on the market right now anyway? They're obviously marketing this as a "gaming" monitor, not something for graphic artists or other folks who might need a higher resolution, best color accuracy, or whatever else those people may require. Besides, it's not as if there aren't other 1440 27" displays to choose from.

1ms = 3-15ms. Typical. Probably 5,000,000,000:1 contrast ratio as well, no? 1" dot pitch? Why can't we get anything decent in 120Hz+? Gaaahh!
"The FPS Mode was co-developed with gaming legends to let you tap into the fundamental insights of pro gamers and view the game how a gaming legend would see it."
Sounds like something stupid I'd buy:)

The FPS mode is just marketing garbage. They reduce the contrast and gamma so noobs can see into dark areas the game developers didn't intend them too. Most monitors have game modes with low average gamma (1.8-2.0) and gamma settings which do the same thing without ruining on the contrast. The FPS mode has locked RGB settings on the XL2420T, the 27" will likely be the same.

Last edited:
Another 27" 1080p TN crap monitor. Sigh.
I don't get it.. how long will it take until they start to release better monitors?? WIll they still be releasing 1080p TN garbage monitors in 2020??

My dream monitor is 120 Hz+, 27", 1600p, LightBoost, IPS, but i know that dream is just a dream which will never come true, but i would be willing to pay alot for such a amazing monitor.

A more realistic wish would be to ATLEAST have 1440p in a 27" 120 Hz+ TN monitor.

And btw i really don't care if i wouldn't be able to run all games at 120+ fps, because it would just give me a reason to buy new nice hardware and give me something to aim for.
It would atleast be over 60 fps, it doesn't have to be rock solid 120+ fps. Just the fact that you would always have 120+ in desktop is nice.
Why does it need to be higher than 1080p just because it's 27"?
Err because everyone doesn't like football sized pixels?

Last edited:
Interested in what the 2D lightboost backlight strobing gaming results will be on these.

I have a 27" 120hz monitor now which is a fine rez for gaming at the right viewing distance. have a 2560x1440 next to my 27" 120hz monitor for everything else outside of gaming. As others have mentioned, to get the most out of any 120hz monitor you want to maintain over 100fps, better yet, exceed the monitor's hz so you have some buffer vs scene complexity dips. Running higher than the monitor's hz setting also reduces tearing when you aren't using vsync. For lightboost "zero blur" 2D gaming, this means 100hz & over 100fps, or 120hz & over 120fps. To get the most out of 120hz and 144hz non-lightboost mode gaming, to make sure each hz is filled with a new, unique action "slice" view into what is happening in the game world - you need to run over 120fps and over 144fps respectively. a 680 can do some games like skyrim on high (no higher graphics mods) at 120fps , or BF3 on medium. A single titan can get a little better, and dual 680's better still. If you are going higher than 1080p in a single high hz monitor or even moreso in multi-monitor gaming, you are going to be spending a lot on gpus (over $1000), running very low settings, or limiting yourself to older/less stressful game engines. Otherwise you won't be getting the benefit of higher hz gaming's increased motion tracking, and the blur reduction (or elimination) will be reduced or lost since you aren't providing every hz with a new unique frame of current action.

Last edited:
Since the supply of VG248QE's seems to have dried up, and I'm getting tired of waiting on my Amazon backorder, I'm so tempted to buy the BenQ XL2720T to try out. I've never ordered from BenQ before, but I assume they have 30 day return? Monitors ship from California?

Err because everyone doesn't like football sized pixels?

Did you even try reading my entire post? Not everyone sits the same distance from the screen, just like not everyone has the same lighting conditions. Every monitor isn't going to be suitable for everyone.

1ms = 3-15ms.
Actually, such new measurements a lot more honest than expected, provided you also measure the response time that accounts for the stroboscopic backlight (e.g. LightBoost for zero motion blur)
See this high speed video proof of pixel persistence being successfully bypassed on the older ASUS VG278H:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5gjAs1A2s

The backlight is turned off while waiting for pixel transitions (unseen by human eyes),
and the backlight is strobed only on fully-refreshed LCD frames (seen by human eyes).
The strobes can be shorter than pixel transitions, breaking the pixel persistence barrier!
When LightBoost OSD is set to 10%, we measured a 1.4 millisecond true effective response time from the 2ms-rated ASUS VG278H; coming in below the manufacturer's pixel response rating! It was able to pass PixPerAn readability test score of 30, something formerly only possible on CRT's.

Last edited:
Mine shipped today. Should have it on Wednesday. Look fot some postings at night.

Did you place your order yesterday ? As I placed mine yesterday and still shows as order processing I ordered from BenQ Shop USA. Also what shipping method did you pick ?

Last edited:
Did you place your order yesterday ? As I placed mine yesterday and still shows as order processing I ordered from BenQ Shop USA. Also what shipping method did you pick ?

Sure did, did it around 12:30 pm eastern time. I picked the free ground shipping, If I would have known it was shipping from California, I would have paid for 2 day shipping.

Good to see a few people picking this up -- can't wait to hear your thoughts. Either of you already using 120hz or an IPS panel? I'm torn between the two, either 120hz TN or IPS.

Good to see a few people picking this up -- can't wait to hear your thoughts. Either of you already using 120hz or an IPS panel? I'm torn between the two, either 120hz TN or IPS.

I am using 3 Dell U2311H (IPS) monitors in portrait surround mode 3240x1920. I will let you which one I prefer once I am done testing.

Looking forward to hearing back from everyone ordering these as well. After hearing reports and seeing these show up at other stores I will likely snag one.
Preyed, since you asked - I use both a 2560x1440 glossy ips and a 120hz glossy samsung 1080p TN. I tend to be pretty enthusiastic with recommending both monitor types for those who can swing it , at least in the long run if you can save up for a $350 or less 2560x1440 ips later on for everything outside of gaming. For gaming, lightboost zero blur is something I have been hoping for on lcds for a long time.
My 120hz samsung is nice, but like all 120hz non-lightboost mode monitors it still blurs the entire viewport 50% that of a 60hz lcd during motion. Something like a full screen soften blur effect during FoV movement (blurring out all high detail geometry on objects, architecture/geography, texture detail, shaders incl. bump mapping, text/nameplates/signs, etc). When the FoV is static, fast moving objects crossing the view suffer a soften blur effect in themselves. Currently as per MarkR's suggestion, I've enabled my samsung's frame sequential mode which reduces blur a little further,but it has aftershadows/crosstalk and input lag in that mode so is greatly inferior to lightboost mode gaming. I get around 17 - 18 out of 30 on the pixelperan text reading tests, where the fastest lightboost 2D gaming mode monitors get 29 - 30, full clarity during motion like a crt.
At 1080p it's easier to maintain over 100fps or over 120fps than at 2560x on a high rez ips. Your fps need to exceed your monitor's refresh rate to get the most out of your high hz monitor (whether you use lightboost 2d gaming's zero blur mode or not). Outside of lightboost you start seeing improvement at 90 - 100fps on a 120hz monitor but it won't be showing a more recent, unique frame of action every single hz so the motion tracking will suffer a bit. Exceeding your refresh rate also allows you to run without vsync with reduced (negligible to most people) tearing.
If you game a lot, no contest - I'd go with the high hz + lightboost 1080p for pristine clarity during motion, accuracy, and less demanding resolution as I mentioned, especially if you already have a nvidia card (which is required for lightboost 2d gaming to this point). If you are primarily doing desktop/apps/still imagery stuff, an ips with their high rez, high ppi, uniformity, high color quality, desktop real-esate and overall gorgeous imagery. I'm talking about a 60hz for desktop stuff at $350 or less. I could not recommend a 60hz monitor to anyone for gaming though personally after seeing the difference 120hz+ makes, (the 120hz "overclockable" ips models have jumped in price to $720 last time I looked too, and they still blur on motion a little worse than 50% that of a 60hz lcd).

Last edited:
Sure did, did it around 12:30 pm eastern time. I picked the free ground shipping, If I would have known it was shipping from California, I would have paid for 2 day shipping.

I placed my order yesterday at 5:30 pm right now my order status says ''Order Preparation''. I picked ground shipping also I wanted to pick 2 day shipping but the BenQ Shop 2 day shipping is $55 that is ridiculously to high in my opinion with tax it would have put my order at almost $600.00. I ended up having to pick ground as $55 is to high for 2 day shipping and it kinda pissed me off that they would charge so much for 2 day shipping but hey it is what it is. I hope I get my XL2720T by Wednesday and that it ships today as well. Would you happen to know how long your order stayed in the ''Order Preparation'' stage ?

. Would you happen to know how long your order stayed in the ''Order Preparation'' stage ?

I got my email confirmation that my ordered shipped at 10:15 am eastern time. I am sure you will get one soon.

Is there some specific reason that the 24 inch version of this monitor is on average $90 more than the Asus VG248QE? I am trying to decide between them.

Edit: Since I have to buy 3 thats almost 300 bucks difference.

Is there some specific reason that the 24 inch version of this monitor is on average $90 more than the Asus VG248QE? I am trying to decide between them.

Edit: Since I have to buy 3 thats almost 300 bucks difference.

Just buy one to make sure this is what you want and go from there.

Preyed, since you asked -...

Thanks for the awesome response. Right now I'm just gaming with a HannsG 28'' 1920x1200 monitor. I'm just looking to upgrade/side-grade. I mostly game but I do care about how it visually looks as well. So, just on the fence as I don't want to lose pixel space.

You're welcome.
I still have an old hanspree 28" (27.5" viewable) 1920x1200 at my front hall small desk that I use for repairing people's pc's mostly. I used to have it paired it with a fw900 a long time ago.
Almost all games use HOR+ now which means they use virtual lenses and virtual cinematography. Any wider angle lens is going to show more of the scene. So 16:9 imo is better for games, and I would run 16:9 mode even on a 1920x1200 so switching to a 1080p monitor would not be a loss for me as far as gaming is concerned. Modern, quality TN monitors while nothing like an IPS, have a much better picture quality than my hanspree. The hanspree is also 60hz and doesn't have lightboost of course. Outside of gaming I do appreciate the resolution and much greater image quality a 2560x1440 ips has (also 16:9) . 1080p for gaming is good enough for me, especially if I get zero blur and 100 - 120hz of motion tracking out of it (and am capable of the fps to supply it). Scene blur bothers me aesthetically so "caring about how it visually looks" also relates to FoV blur as far as I'm concerned on a gaming monitor.
As soon as I get some feedback from people and online retailers start to sell them, I'm prob going to get one of these BenQ XL2720T 's, as long as they don't hike the price up to $700 or something stupid.

Last edited:
Hey everyone just received my XL2720T today in the morning and just finished getting everything connected. I started up my PC and the first thing I did was enabled lightboost 2D and all I can say is WOW I could tell right alway that something had change just by looking at my desktop and mouse movements. I then started up BioShock Infinite and OMG what a diffidence the blur is completely gone and everything look allot smoother. Its a bit hard to explain exactly. This is the best monitor I have ever owned and now that I experienced light boost 2D I think I will never again get another monitor that does not have lightboost. I used ToastyX's new instructions to get lightboost 2D active. The monitor is excellent the buttons are touch enabled the OSD menu is the best I have ever seen its so easy to navigate. The colors out of the box were pretty good except the brightness was a bit to high. Once I enabled lightboost 2D my screen got darker and everything got disabled on the monitor OSD except contrast and the lightboost settings. I lowered Lightboost to 10% and the contrast was at 37% by default on the OSD I left it there. I then went to my nvidia control panel adjust color settings and ran windows 8 calibrate color program so I can use it as a reference point. I only adjusted the colors in nvidia control panel. I set my brightness to 60%, Contrast 50% and Gamma 1.10%. Now the display looks a bit brighter but I know I will need a monitor calibrator device if I want to get the best colors which I plan to but soon. My eyes are doing a bit of adjusting to lightboost and feel a bit strange but I am sure in time they will adjust. I have not had much time to play games yet but that is exactly what I am going to go do right now if anyone has any questions or want me to run any test on it please let me know I will see what I can do.

DSC03123.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03126.jpg

DSC03127.jpg

DSC03128.jpg

DSC03129.jpg

DSC03130.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

DSC03135.jpg

Last edited:
Back