BenQ XL2411Z vs. LG 24GM77-B - Seeking 144hz gaming monitor recommendation

sirgallium

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I currently am using a very old monitor that I bought back when prices were first coming down into the few hundreds.

I am interested in buying the best 144hz monitor for fps and twitch gaming. After reading several forum posts as well as a monitor review article I've narrowed it down to about two options.

BenQ - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORITU

BenQ Review - BenQ XL2411Z: Review

LG - Amazon.com: LG Electronics Gaming 24GM77-B 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories

LG Review - LG 24GM77: Review

I'm looking for something that has Dual Link DVI as well as Displayport because right now my graphics card has dual DVI but I plan on upgrading my card to something with displayport in the not too distant future. I wouldn't mind getting Freesync or Gsync but I'm not really interested if it means extra money. I'm looking to spend $350 at the very most.

The LG in particular got an actual measured 5ms response time which they say is excellent, and the BenQ seems ok except for they say that the backlight bleeds through a little bit.

If anybody can find any other monitors that do everything that I need that would be great, I am open to any suggestions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon just put the LG on sale from $350 down to $300 so I ordered that one. I feel pretty confident even though I didn't get any replies since I read a bunch of threads and reviews, they say that this screen is about as good as colors get for a TN panel and that it's anti-ghosting features work very well. I haven't read much bad about it at all besides that it's not IPS or Gsync.

Consensus over at BlurBusters seems to be that the LG is about as good as it gets for 24" TN panels, so you did good.

LG Contrast of 370:1 and best 530:1 good?

For anti blurring it works quite well but that contrast is terrible. Even when everything is defaulted it is worse and black screens are grey.

I received one today and after checking it out it is not surprising that they are selling them off cheaply IMO. LG has stopped selling them for a reason. I purchased because Amazon.es had a big price drop.

White luminance is bang on 120cd/m^2 now after some basic calibration, black luminance is 0.317cd/m^2 which is hardly impressive but I was not expecting VA panel black levels which can get to close to an eighth of that. Prim & Sec Av dE is 1.2 and was quite a lot higher initially. The greyscale Av dE is 2.97, contrast is an atrocious 380:1. Total black crush. I cannot see any variations on one test image where it shows black reference that is all that I can see! Nothing else on the screen. The lagom LCD test I can see the 20 square and nothing below that! I might as well be wearing a damn blindfold.

I am only just get used to the options on it but I don't expect to improve it very much. Did I mention the terrible contrast level? Utter shit!

One area of white dead pixels which looks bigger than 2 square pixels which I have noticed so far but it is 1/4 from the right side and on the very bottom border of the screen, probably the very first one or two pixels so it does not affect anything.

Positives, not many but it is not powering off the screen when showing dark content like mentioned here, well as dark as it can get on this screen. I tried a black 0,0,0 screen and the screen did not power down or go blank like that site claims.

As it is I will most likely return it because it is utterly dreadful! I might try a different graphics card before doing so, I am using an old ATI/AMD card and I will try a slightly newer nVidia card but I doubt it will make any difference. BTW I am using DVI-D ATM.

LG Contrast of 370:1 and best 530:1 good?

For anti blurring it works quite well but that contrast is terrible. Even when everything is defaulted it is worse and black screens are grey.

I received one today and after checking it out it is not surprising that they are selling them off cheaply IMO. LG has stopped selling them for a reason. I purchased because Amazon.es had a big price drop.

White luminance is bang on 120cd/m^2 now after some basic calibration, black luminance is 0.317cd/m^2 which is hardly impressive but I was not expecting VA panel black levels which can get to close to an eighth of that. Prim & Sec Av dE is 1.2 and was quite a lot higher initially. The greyscale Av dE is 2.97, contrast is an atrocious 380:1. Total black crush. I cannot see any variations on one test image where it shows black reference that is all that I can see! Nothing else on the screen. The lagom LCD test I can see the 20 square and nothing below that! I might as well be wearing a damn blindfold.

I am only just get used to the options on it but I don't expect to improve it very much. Did I mention the terrible contrast level? Utter shit!

One area of white dead pixels which looks bigger than 2 square pixels which I have noticed so far but it is 1/4 from the right side and on the very bottom border of the screen, probably the very first one or two pixels so it does not affect anything.

Positives, not many but it is not powering off the screen when showing dark content like mentioned here, well as dark as it can get on this screen. I tried a black 0,0,0 screen and the screen did not power down or go blank like that site claims.

As it is I will most likely return it because it is utterly dreadful! I might try a different graphics card before doing so, I am using an old ATI/AMD card and I will try a slightly newer nVidia card but I doubt it will make any difference. BTW I am using DVI-D ATM.
Sounds like it's defective. These panels are all around 1000:1 and have been for a while; 24" 144 hz TN panels aren't new tech.

Back