Benq XL2410T vs Asus VG236H : what is better as image quality ?

senna89

Limp Gawd
Benq XL2410T vs Asus VG236H : what is better as image quality ?
I know that both are good like 3d gaming but like image quality ? what is the better ?

And com is the Benq AG coating ? Aggressive, medium or light ?

Would like to know this as well as am on the fence between those 2. thanks

Try doing some research... The Benq XL2410T thread is a good place to start.

AG coat on the Benq is perfect. Very light. The Benq has substantially lower input lag than the Asus. The Asus has a more consistent backlight and faster pixel response. Overall picture quality probably goes to the Benq for the higher contrast ratio it provides. Opinions on which is better are just that... Opinions.

Many people think glossy screens look better.
And well... one of these two is

Only TFT central got a BenQ with good contrast (most likely cherry picked for review), PRAD.de/FPDH/PC Monitors all got bad units with lots of bleed. The Asus is faster and consistently has good default color accuracy and contrast in all of the reviews.

Input lag measurements vary so much, the "lag spikes," that occur aren't real, it is best to just go with the most common value and ingnore the anomolies. That said both have such low input lag it won't matter.

Glossy pretty much always makes for better text (if the sharpness is good), colors and more vivid images at the price of reflections.

Last edited:
the backlight bleed on the XL2410Ts seems to be much better now. I had a feb 2011 build with the 005 firmware and the blacklight looked pretty good to me.

Was going to create a thread about 24" 120hz with pivot but i'll ask here.

Do either of these monitors have a pivot on the monitor to allow for portrait orientation? Or can you mount on the stand in portrait? I ask because i don't have a suitable desk for a monitor arm (that doesn't cost a bomb).

however I should also point out my XL2410T started malfunctioning 3hrs after I set it up and I've spent over a week dealing with their idiot tech support/returns dept

Hi Vafan13,
If you give us a call 949-255-9481 I will see what I can do to help.
Thank you!
-BenQ

@senna89
Despite many user complaints regarding the first batch of shipments, it seems as 'most' of the buyers of the 2nd batch or whatever 'newer' batch of XL units have had mostly no complaints, and in fact love the monitor. I would say the BenQ is a sturdier built monitor compared to the Asus. Both have rather similar specs. Both do portrait, height adjustments, left/right swivel, etc. The BenQ XL is definitely one of the faster monitors when 120hz or FPS mode is activated. NCX has always complained how the XL performs slower than even standard 60hz monitors when FPS is turned off. I don't see how such a comment carries much meaning. I argue against this, because if you're going to utilize game why would you ever use the XL2410T in non-FPS mode, it wouldn't make sense. Anyway, you could start by checking out the XL2410T thread. Take what you read with a grain of salt, including my posts and everyone else's, because everyone is biased to his/her experience and remarks.

however I should also point out my XL2410T started malfunctioning 3hrs after I set it up and I've spent over a week dealing with their idiot tech support/returns dept

What exactly happened to your XL2410T? What do you mean it started malfunctioning? Did you contact BenQ and start the RMA process? Btw, where did you buy your unit from?

What exactly happened to your XL2410T? What do you mean it started malfunctioning? Did you contact BenQ and start the RMA process? Btw, where did you buy your unit from?

something concerning the DVI was messed up. Anyways, after a number of aggravating phone calls and a trip to a fax machine (yep) it is now being RMA'd. I bought it direct from BenQ. While it was working it worked quite well. Backlight bleed looked very minimal and it looked fairly uniform (I had a Feb build, 005 firmware) though it's sad how bad the black crush is (lowest 4 shades of black in the Lagom test). Even this cheapo trashbox Soyo I'm on at the office doesn't crush like that. I think all the 120hz are bad about this though

Is the VG236H better or worse or about the same with black crush?

@senna89
NCX has always complained how the XL performs slower than even standard 60hz monitors when FPS is turned off. I don't see how such a comment carries much meaning. I argue against this, because if you're going to utilize game why would you ever use the XL2410T in non-FPS mode, it wouldn't make sense.

Please refer to the responsiveness section and look at the test images.

Some of the 60hz panels show less ghosting. Yes you can display more frames, but it will still ghost.

Some of the newer versions don't ghost (user took some test photo in the 120hz thread), however when spending 350$ it is silly to encourage some one to gamble on screen revisions and play the RMA game with the Benq's when there are other good 120hz monitors avaliable like the Asus/Alienware/Planar and upcoming Samsungs.

something concerning the DVI was messed up. Anyways, after a number of aggravating phone calls and a trip to a fax machine (yep) it is now being RMA'd. I bought it direct from BenQ. While it was working it worked quite well. Backlight bleed looked very minimal and it looked fairly uniform (I had a Feb build, 005 firmware) though it's sad how bad the black crush is (lowest 4 shades of black in the Lagom test). Even this cheapo trashbox Soyo I'm on at the office doesn't crush like that. I think all the 120hz are bad about this though

Is the VG236H better or worse or about the same with black crush?

Try using the Standard preset mode (Color presets are accurate according to TFT central), changing the Gamma or using the FPHD/TFT Central/PRAD.de custom settings.

Last edited:
Try using the Standard preset mode (Color presets are accurate according to TFT central), changing the Gamma or using the FPHD/TFT Central/PRAD.de custom settings.

er, are you talking abut the BenQ or the Asus?

I did use the TFT central settings on the XL2410T when I had it.

I'm testing out a VG236H right now. The backlight bleed was much less on the xl2410t I had and it crushed 1 less shade of black. I think I actually liked the BenQ better (when it worked).

I own the VG236. The response of the panel is excellent, with the normal gripes of TN technology (poor color gamut and angle, ect).

Minor gripes I have with the Asus is that the stand seems like it's going to violently come apart when I bump into it accidentally, and the button layout is unimaginative and cumbersome, (compare to the buttons of the 20WMGX2, best buttons ever).

The xl2410 has a bunch of features specifically for FPS gaming, like the resolution framing. The stand also appears a lot better, but isn't it way more expensive?

Last edited:
Back