BenQ V2400W or Dell 2408? I've read and read -- help tip me one way or another.

hedd

n00b
As a long time owner of the Dell 2005fpw, I'm a little spoiled. Mine has very little bleedthrough, and I didn't read any reviews before buying it... just pure blind luck. I'm shopping for a second panel now, and finding that I need to make compromises. I'm not in the $700 plus range, I don't do photo editing for a living, and I don't play many FPS Games anymore. I do love amateur photography, want to play some games in the near future (but not very competitively), and I'm very picky. The viewing angle thing kills me, and I'm not a huge fan of the way TNs look at bestbuy (but the price is attractive, and I think input lag would bug me too).

I think the price is right on the BenQ V2400W and the Dell 2408: $442 and $590 shipped.

I just can't decide which technology is right for me. I don't really have the option of going out and looking at them. Do you have any other recommendations?

The real question is: Will there be anything that isnt going to be flawed sitting next to my Dell 2005fpw?

Personally, I believe the ridiculously high level of input lag on the 2408WFP makes it totally useless for anything involving interactivity.

It's not just in games either, any movement of the pointer is visibly sluggish, making everything you do on your PC difficult and unpleasant.

I had one for couple days, returned it for this very reason.

Because of this, I would advice the V2400 over the 2408, from what I've seen, the horizantal viewing angles aren't as bad as some other TNs, and the vertical viewing angles only become a problem if you aren't head on vertically. I haven't been able to test one of these in person though.

Joe

I'm in a similar boat with you. My 2005FPW just died and I'm trying to find a replacement for it. A few of the monitors I'm looking at are the BenQ FP241VW the Westinghouse L2410NM and the BenQ V2400.

The problem that I'm running into is that to get anything that will stack up to what I have been using for the past 4 years is going to cost me in the $700 to $1000 range. It's a hard choice and one with no easy answers.

Good luck, if I find something mindblowing I'll let you know.

Guys, I use to own an IPS 2007WFP Dell panel and sold it. It was an awesome monitor. I recently purchased the BenQ V2400W and I do not regret it in the least. The image on the BenQ is spectacular and in my eyes, just as good as my old Dell 2007 IPS panel. I seriously cannot tell the difference! Blacks are black, whites are white, and all the colors in between (black and white are not really colors) are stunning. The only thing I wish the BenQ has that my Dell had is height adjustment and pivot. Also, the monitor itself is gorgeous.

Guys, I use to own an IPS 2007WFP Dell panel and sold it. It was an awesome monitor. I recently purchased the BenQ V2400W and I do not regret it in the least. The image on the BenQ is spectacular and in my eyes, just as good as my old Dell 2007 IPS panel. I seriously cannot tell the difference! Blacks are black, whites are white, and all the colors in between (black and white are not really colors) are stunning. The only thing I wish the BenQ has that my Dell had is height adjustment and pivot. Also, the monitor itself is gorgeous.

This is a strong endorsement. I really like the price with the 10% off. Can anyone second this motion? Any sign of better low end panels coming down the pipe this year?

I guess I'll pull the trigger on this one unless I get some avid objections later today.

Yeah, if viewing angles kills you, stay way clear of any TN panel based monitor. Especially at sizes 24" and above it's a huge killer.

FP241VW is on sale at BenQ only $499 now. It's really a deal for a 24" VA

FP241VW is on sale at BenQ only $499 now. It's really a deal for a 24" VA

Uhg, that stand. Thanks for reminding me that the V2400W Isn't mountable though.

Why can't this be easy?

G2400WD seems to use the same panel as V2400WD so if you just don't like the look but happy with the V2400WD specs/reviews maybe you can consider G2400WD

Yeah, if viewing angles kills you, stay way clear of any TN panel based monitor. Especially at sizes 24" and above it's a huge killer.

I swear to God Almighty, the viewing angles are not bad at all on the V2400W! I promise you this!

The question has always been on mind is that is there any V2400W owner hasitated to pull the trigger for it's look but love the design when the product arrives?

I just got my V2400W today, and I only got to play with it for like an hour, but we did a few Arena matches in WoW and I was in heaven. I also downloaded a few hd wallpapers that looked omfg compared to my old 19" Rosewill.

I'm facing the same dilemma. I have a 2005FPW that I love but I'm considering moving it to a second system. This whole TN "hatred" has me worried since that seems to be the majority out there.

A 24" would be nice but if there is a badass 20" widescreen out there for under $500 I'd like to know about it as well.

I'm in love with my v2400w.
It kicks the crap out of my other friends lcd's, the size is nuts, and for the price, I mean hell, how can you go wrong?

(Then again I'm a gamer, so I kind of need a TN)

TN is not as good as S-PVA. The latency speed may be faster, but even on my old 2405, the latency has never bugged me. 2408 FPW is suppose to be even faster then that, and still have better picture quality then TN.

My Dell 2405 FPW is a PVA lcd panel type. I have enjoyed the picture quality, color, blackness and viewing angle. The monitor also allows height, pivot and swivel adjustments. The only downside for this monitor was no HDCP .... no HDMI .... no Displayport.

I was interested in upgrading to a 2408FPW however people are saying there is input lag, and bleeding .... will these things be resolved in the revision coming out this month ? I seriously need to replace my awesome 2405 FPW.

And I do quote this review directly from monitortest.blogspot.com

"General Image Quality

A special note:
there will be quite a bit of photo and video images of the Dell 2408 in this review.
All those images are not intended to represent the monitor picture quality in regard to brightness, contrast, color accuracy, sharpness or color tone.
Trying to get a perfect photo of something on a monitor screen IMO is useless, as it never comes close enough to what is actually seen unless the photographer is a good professional. For a monitor review it’s just wasting time.
Pictures provided here are to show disproportions - things that are clearly seen in comparison and/or something obvious – like a distorted screen format."

I wonder who was the esteemed reviewer that mentioned this?"

;)

10e

You've answered your own question. End of story.

First off, I would recommend you go to a computer store that has TN monitors to view a decent image with a TN and see what you think. Everyone is different, and their level of tolerance is different to viewing angle color shifts. If you don't like it, then at least you know. Best Buy is a horrible place to check this out unless they allow you to bring in custom images on a memory stick and look at them on a chosen monitor.

If TNs' viewing angles don't bother you, and you want a mountable monitor, look at the G2400WD. It's not as flashy as the V2400W, but the VESA mount on the back is advantageous. I don't understand why TN panel manufacturers can't put height adjustable stands on their monitors, considering TN panels need them more. I personally like the V2400W, knowing that TN does not have incredible vertical viewing angles.

If I compare the 2005FPW to VA or TN panels, the VA panels are generally a little less "shifty" except on HardForums. The horizontal VA gamma shift on greys can sometimes give a silvery, 3d effect. TN doesn't suffer from this, but generally the top will be a little darker than the bottom regardless of the colors displayed. Cameras cannot show this properly (as the effect is strongly amplified) so I would try and see it in person if I were you first.

Alternatively, most TNs are not as blindingly bright as VA panels and generally have slightly sharper text.

The Dell is a good all-rounder with a plethora of inputs and fairly good image scaling with aspect ratio preservation. That being said, in this regard it is not at the high level of the BenQ FP241VW/W with post-June 2007 firmware. It does have exceptionally good contrast and (depending on settings) can have good color out of the box. Check out the 24" comparison review on Anandtech where they extol the color calibration.

I linked to the 2408WFP section directly here:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=4

If the input lag can be fixed with the new "revision" (which is ONLY available through an exchange or new purchase) I would give this the nod over the V2400W, ONLY if the lag can average out to around 2 frames and does not generally exceed 3 frames (48ms) regularly. That is what you get with the Dell 2005FPW which I tested a couple of nights ago. Average was 30ms vs. a Compaq P1210 CRT on an ATI card, and I never noticed input lag on the Dell 2005 in general use. Input lag on the V2400W is average 8ms after my tests.

Yes, another option is the BenQ FP241VW. It does not have great color calibration out of the box, but it can be calibrated quite well. It also has a lot of inputs. It does not match the 2408WFP (from what I've read) in black levels or contrast ratio, but it is generally not a washed out screen either. The stand can be removed too :) if you are ok with a circuit board of buttons showing outside the case ha. The input lag on mine (after a lot of testing) is 11.8ms on average. Very low, lower than the 2005FPW which surprised me. If the FP241W were widely available (with the normal stand) I would recommend that. Either one is very good with post June 2007 firmware/build date.

Alternatively there is the Samsung 245T which is similar to the 2408WFP with a wide gamut, S-PVA panel and a number of inputs. It averages around 39ms input lag according to Prad.De which is less than the 2408WFP, and I think it has very good S-PVA image quality, and a number of usable inputs too.

These are just suggestions you can look at, because unfortunately, the Dell is tough to find within retail for personal viewing. I would think the Samsung would be closest to the 2408WFP in image quality but I'm just theorizing.

Good luck,

10e

As a long time owner of the Dell 2005fpw, I'm a little spoiled. Mine has very little bleedthrough, and I didn't read any reviews before buying it... just pure blind luck. I'm shopping for a second panel now, and finding that I need to make compromises. I'm not in the $700 plus range, I don't do photo editing for a living, and I don't play many FPS Games anymore. I do love amateur photography, want to play some games in the near future (but not very competitively), and I'm very picky. The viewing angle thing kills me, and I'm not a huge fan of the way TNs look at bestbuy (but the price is attractive, and I think input lag would bug me too).

I think the price is right on the BenQ V2400W and the Dell 2408: $442 and $590 shipped.

I just can't decide which technology is right for me. I don't really have the option of going out and looking at them. Do you have any other recommendations?

The real question is: Will there be anything that isnt going to be flawed sitting next to my Dell 2005fpw?

TN is not as good as S-PVA. The latency speed may be faster, but even on my old 2405, the latency has never bugged me. 2408 FPW is suppose to be even faster then that, and still have better picture quality then TN.

My Dell 2405 FPW is a PVA lcd panel type. I have enjoyed the picture quality, color, blackness and viewing angle.

You have to realize this stuff is subjective. I never even heard of Lag when I bought my first LCD. Also the Dell 2405. The input lag was immediately evident, my computer had lost all snap, that lag was obvious on the desktop. Mouse felt like it was dragging in molasses. The viewing angle color shift was extreme causing a phony holographic effect/eyestrain. Not only that but the motion smear on this panels is horrid. Honestly I don't know how anyone puts up with a 2405, you have to be generally oblivious to motion smear/lag/color shift. This is the worse LCD I have ever used.

I would take a TN any day over the likes of the 2405. In fact I did. I sold the 2405 within a week of buying it and bought another CRT, eventually I got a TN panel to go with it.

To the Original Poster. Only you can tell what works for you. Listening to subjective opinions from people is pointless. Two people can look at the same monitor, one will tell you it is fantastic, the other will say it is the worse thing they have ever used.

To me the TN is better than VA. Less/no lag, less horizontal shift. The downside is the vertical shift (but I find that less annoying as you don't get a stereo vision effect from it, like horizontal shift). IPS is better than both but expensive/hard to find.

To the OP, you created this thread for [H] members to try and persuade you go with either of these two monitors. I'm not going to cheese out of your request to do just that by telling you that you have to make your own decision, otherwise this thread would have never existed in the first place.

Buy the V2400W. I own it, I love it. I owned a 2007WFP IPS Dell. I can tell no difference between the image quality.

I will paypal you USD $10.00 if you buy it and don't like it. You WILL love it.

Thanks for all the great replies. I decided to go with the BenQ. This is due to the fact that neither option sounds fantastic, and I can keep $200 in my pocket with the BenQ while drooling over 30" IPSs for the next couple of years. If I need to do some photo work, the 2005FPW is right there next to me, and the v2400W will be a great gaming rig.

I'm honestly a little put off by the fact that it's the forum doll right now, with the influx of free reviewing material. That said, it gets a very favorable review on other sites as well, and the only resounding non-TN-specific flaws are the xbox 360 pixel mapping thing and no mounting.

---Thanks again!

Thanks for all the great replies. I decided to go with the BenQ. This is due to the fact that neither option sounds fantastic, and I can keep $200 in my pocket with the BenQ while drooling over 30" IPSs for the next couple of years. If I need to do some photo work, the 2005FPW is right there next to me, and the v2400W will be a great gaming rig.

I'm honestly a little put off by the fact that it's the forum doll right now, with the influx of free reviewing material. That said, it gets a very favorable review on other sites as well, and the only resounding non-TN-specific flaws are the xbox 360 pixel mapping thing and no mounting.

---Thanks again!

You've made a wise decision and have just begun your journey into something far greater than yourself.

All of a sudden all the V2400W sticky threads are gone, don't know if the "thankyou10" promo code would still work. Go get it quickly of it still works!

I just tried it and it still works. I've recently had problems with my LG(love it but still getting a full refund) so I need a new monitor and I'm thinking the V2400W might be the best bet right now.

I had for a couple of days a V2400W and Dell 2407WFP-HC side by side and the Dell looks much more better.
Frankly, the BenQ V2400W is a below average monitor. Colors are dull, black is poor and the viewing angles are poor (as any TN panel based LCD).
V2400W has better respond time and lower input lag, is cheaper and therefore it might be more appropriate for gaming than the Dell.
Also, V2400W's backlight bleed is however almost non-existent.
The V2400W is slim and looks very good but it cannot be mounted on a wall and the stand cannot be adjusted whatsoever.

BTW, both monitors were calibrated with a Spyder2 device.

All of a sudden all the V2400W sticky threads are gone, don't know if the "thankyou10" promo code would still work. Go get it quickly of it still works!

I bought mine yesterday with that code and it worked.

and to the OP, enjoy your V2400W. I absolutely love mine!

In actuality blacks are quite good. As good or better than the 2408WFP, which is supposed to be better than the 2407WFP-HC.

Also the 2407WFP-HC is a wide gamut monitor, which means the colors (especially reds and greens) get oversaturated by this screen, so of course the V2400W will look dull next to it. This doesn't mean the Dell's colors are right.

I'll agree with you that the Dell has better vertical viewing angles though.

This was the Dell with the inverse ghosting problem. The V2400W has it too with over drive, but at least it can be shut off.

I had for a couple of days a V2400W and Dell 2407WFP-HC side by side and the Dell looks much more better.
Frankly, the BenQ V2400W is a below average monitor. Colors are dull, black is poor and the viewing angles are poor (as any TN panel based LCD).
V2400W has better respond time and lower input lag, is cheaper and therefore it might be more appropriate for gaming than the Dell.
Also, V2400W's backlight bleed is however almost non-existent.
The V2400W is slim and looks very good but it cannot be mounted on a wall and the stand cannot be adjusted whatsoever.

BTW, both monitors were calibrated with a Spyder2 device.

I too have been considering this Benq...but....Does it not tilt to one side because the stand? In every pic i see of it...it seems it does...nice monitor...horrible stand...what were they thinking? Opinions on this?

I too have been considering this Benq...but....Does it not tilt to one side because the stand? In every pic i see of it...it seems it does...nice monitor...horrible stand...what were they thinking? Opinions on this?

I agree. If it wouldnt be for the stand I would buy this V2400W from the start. Now I will not buy it at all. Even if it does not tilt from the start it should just be a matter of time before it does.

I have G2400W but will upgrade cause of I think the G2400W colors are not vibrant enough. But if I choose Benq this time as well I will go for G2400WD instead of V2400W (they have the same panel) cause of the strange assymetrical look of V2400W.

The dell is to expensive so not really an option for me anyway.

Welp, I got the Monitor and I'm pretty pissed. The menu button is broken. I really don't like these little touchey buttons in the first place, but in this case, I can't even get into my menu.

Before I get responses about it being disabled and to hold down on it for 15 second: tried that.

To troubleshoot it, I hooked up a d-sub cable, which enables the 'auto' button. and found out that both the auto button and the menu button are mapped to auto (which is disabled when a DVI cable is plugged in. There isn't even a small patch of the button panel that I can touch to bring up the menu, it aint happening.

The other kick in the nuts is the lack of a DVI cable in the box. I read about this, but it never registered how annoying that would be.

The picture looks great out of the box though, and no dead pixels. Wish I could keep this panel and replace the button.

i would say give BenQ customer service a call they should exchange the product for you if the menu button is broken
United States
Technical Support Helpdesk (866) 600-2367

And I do quote this review directly from monitortest.blogspot.com

"General Image Quality

A special note:
there will be quite a bit of photo and video images of the Dell 2408 in this review.
All those images are not intended to represent the monitor picture quality in regard to brightness, contrast, color accuracy, sharpness or color tone.
Trying to get a perfect photo of something on a monitor screen IMO is useless, as it never comes close enough to what is actually seen unless the photographer is a good professional. For a monitor review it’s just wasting time.
Pictures provided here are to show disproportions - things that are clearly seen in comparison and/or something obvious – like a distorted screen format."

I wonder who was the esteemed reviewer that mentioned this?"

;)

10e

To make make photos of what is on the screens of monitors taken with a camera even less useful for judging pq. Add in, that people are viewing those pictures on monitors of varying quality and capabilities. Photos of that sort are really only useful for showing actual lag, and defects, like dead/stuck pixels, improper geometry, proportions, and screen artifacts.

Haha, I decided finally to buy one of these..( really hoping the screeen does not lean to the left..ive seen pics that look like it does) , went online to the BQ store and it says it's backordered...ugh...

I think I'm going the opposite way and buying another 2005FPW (used of course). I just keep staring at my current 2005FPW and it's so beautiful and I really don't need the increased resolution of a 24". Just seems to be such the norm lately that I got the urge.

Actually, I was just gonna suggest you tap it twice to use it. First tap lights up the buttons, second tap enables the button. The only button that works on first tap is power.

Good luck.

Welp, I got the Monitor and I'm pretty pissed. The menu button is broken. I really don't like these little touchey buttons in the first place, but in this case, I can't even get into my menu.

Before I get responses about it being disabled and to hold down on it for 15 second: tried that.

To troubleshoot it, I hooked up a d-sub cable, which enables the 'auto' button. and found out that both the auto button and the menu button are mapped to auto (which is disabled when a DVI cable is plugged in. There isn't even a small patch of the button panel that I can touch to bring up the menu, it aint happening.

The other kick in the nuts is the lack of a DVI cable in the box. I read about this, but it never registered how annoying that would be.

The picture looks great out of the box though, and no dead pixels. Wish I could keep this panel and replace the button.

You have to realize this stuff is subjective. I never even heard of Lag when I bought my first LCD. Also the Dell 2405. The input lag was immediately evident, my computer had lost all snap, that lag was obvious on the desktop. Mouse felt like it was dragging in molasses. The viewing angle color shift was extreme causing a phony holographic effect/eyestrain. Not only that but the motion smear on this panels is horrid. Honestly I don't know how anyone puts up with a 2405, you have to be generally oblivious to motion smear/lag/color shift. This is the worse LCD I have ever used.

I would take a TN any day over the likes of the 2405. In fact I did. I sold the 2405 within a week of buying it and bought another CRT, eventually I got a TN panel to go with it.

To the Original Poster. Only you can tell what works for you. Listening to subjective opinions from people is pointless. Two people can look at the same monitor, one will tell you it is fantastic, the other will say it is the worse thing they have ever used.

To me the TN is better than VA. Less/no lag, less horizontal shift. The downside is the vertical shift (but I find that less annoying as you don't get a stereo vision effect from it, like horizontal shift). IPS is better than both but expensive/hard to find.

Well lets just say my counter strike skillz went down the drain after switching to a 24'' lcd. But i thought that was the screen size ? Could it be latency and input lag all along :confused:

As much as i like the quality of PVA and hopefully S-PVA which is supposedly better, i cannot as of yet recommend 2408 until the new revision is out. If it checks out i will probably get one.

If it hasn't then i am stuck. I'm never going below 24'' or a TN panel. The viewing angel is important to me.

Man, I was tapping on that thing for hours :p It wasn't flashing blue or anything. Like I said, when I plugged a D-sub cable in, I was able to push it (The menu button), it flashed blue, and started the auto adjust function.

I called tech support, and they said the metallic finish on the bezel cause problems with the buttons, and they replaced alot of the bezels at the factory, but missed some of them.

I'm returning it, and not getting a new one. I'm going to wait and see what the fall season brings. The whites looked too grey next to my 2005fpw (even when the brightness and contrast were too high). I guess I'm used to a bit more saturation, but everything seemed kind of washed out. I still think it's a nice looking panel, but I hate the buttons and I just feel like I can do better for my money.

Haha, I decided finally to buy one of these..( really hoping the screeen does not lean to the left..ive seen pics that look like it does) , went online to the BQ store and it says it's backordered...ugh...

V2400W is back in stock now...

That's really strange.

I've never heard of that (yet) but there is always a first.

I guess there may be more variations to the panel than I'd like to think, because next to my Dell 2005FPW it didn't seem dead or washed out at all, whereas the G2400W did a tiny bit, and I was quite happy with the good, solid neutral white point.

I seriously hope their quality control keeps up with the demand for the G2400WD and V2400W because it would be sad to see a pretty good monitor go down the tubes.

To be honest, now that I've seen how seriously low the input lag on my FP241VW is (from testing) I can honestly say it is a good alternative MVA based gamers' panel without question. It may be as fast as the (now somewhat) legendary LG L245/L246WP.

I'm only suggesting that because it is second only to the 24" Dell (2408WFP) for connectivity but with at least 2 frames less lag over DVI, and a nice, smooth 24" standard gamut panel. Colors are a bit of a shambles over DVI, but that's easily fixed with a good color profile.

Just the stand makes me wanna hurl. So I took it off! You can see that on my input lag contribution for tonight on the FP241VW. Looks kinda funny with the buttons outside the case on a green PCB though, but it serves the purpose nicely.

Man, I was tapping on that thing for hours :p It wasn't flashing blue or anything. Like I said, when I plugged a D-sub cable in, I was able to push it (The menu button), it flashed blue, and started the auto adjust function.

I called tech support, and they said the metallic finish on the bezel cause problems with the buttons, and they replaced alot of the bezels at the factory, but missed some of them.

I'm returning it, and not getting a new one. I'm going to wait and see what the fall season brings. The whites looked too grey next to my 2005fpw (even when the brightness and contrast were too high). I guess I'm used to a bit more saturation, but everything seemed kind of washed out. I still think it's a nice looking panel, but I hate the buttons and I just feel like I can do better for my money.

Back