BenQ V2400W In Depth Review

Just received my G2400WD from the recent NCIXUS deal. It's my first LCD ever. Coming from the 19" in my sig. I have a desk again! :D And no dead pixels that I can see *knock on wood*. Got the 'dead pixel policy' added just in case. Now to just get all my parts ordered for my new rig and feed it what it wants.

Irksome addendum: I had specified during my order not to have the delivery person leave the box on my doorstep since the past few weeks have been nonstop below zero weather here in midwest WI. Today I get home from classes and there she sits propped next to the door, covered in stickers saying 'Attention: Signature Required'. The high was -6 today with a low of -32 (thanks windchill) when I got home. I'm just happy it's showing anything at all after being deep chilled! Running it via VGA on my g/f's laptop. Seems just a little fuzzy/out-of-focus in areas of black text on white background (like this reply window) but I suppose I could attribute it to either the crumby integrated intel video or the VGA instead of DVI or HDMI.

Plopped onto Apple.com/trailers and watched a few in 1080P and it looks fantastic though! Really excited to get this thing rocking games!

Oh, does anyone know any good burn-in steps / calibration information for a this new LCD? I took 10e's advice (thanks 10e!, you're posts in other threads are what finally pushed me into making the big switch!) and turned the contrast down to 48 but left the rest stock/standard. Any suggestions for a LCD n00b?

Finally got my G2400WD from ncix. Looks great, almost no backlight bleed, great blacks and colors as stated. Unfortunately I have a dead pixel. Luckily I paid for the dead pixel garuntee so I will contact them in a day when Im sure it wont come out. If it was not right near the center I doubt I would even bother.

It is blue on white, black on red. 20m of that java pixel fixer and massaging did not help; I think that stuff only works on stuck and not dead anyway.

But seriously gaming at 1920x1200 is freaking awesome.

I haven't noticed any overdrive artifacting yet. Might not affect every one. But there is some noticable ghosting (about same as my old mva) without the overdrive turned on, so you will want to use it for FPS.
Pleasantly surprised with the overdrive, some descriptions had me expecting super terrible noticable artifacting =)

I have brightness 75, contrast 60, color "normal". Should I use sRGB or normal for color btw =)

I also just received my G2400WD from ncix. Like you I have a dead/stuck? pixel near the center of my screen. It is a light blue color on white background (hardly noticable) and a dark blue/black color on red background. What is the difference between a dead and stuck pixel? I've also tried all the typical fixes to get rid of it with no luck. I'm going to use it for a few more days and see if it is something I notice on a daily basis or not before I send it back. Let me know how the return process goes if you send yours back.

This being the first LCD monitor I've really used, it is taking a little getting used to. The backlight bleed on the edges is noticeable, but not too bad. Playing Left 4 Dead at 16:10 was awesome and I didn't notice any input lag.

There are two things that are a little annoying to me. The first being the change of brightness with vertical viewing angle. It doesn't matter how I position the monitor or how I sit in my chair, the bottom half of the screen seems brighter than the top half. It's noticeable when web browsing because the bottom grey of the firefox taskbar is lighter than the top grey. The other thing I noticed, which could be just an LCD thing or my 6800GT agp video card, but if there is white text on a black background it flickers and has a pinkish tint when I use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down the page. It looks fine when not moving, but it is very annoying when scrolling up or down.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but overall I'm pleased and I think I'll be happier with it as time goes on and I adjust to the change from CRT to LCD. Like others have mentioned, if there is any advice to given on calibration or settings for this monitor it would be appreciated.

There are two things that are a little annoying to me. The first being the change of brightness with vertical viewing angle. It doesn't matter how I position the monitor or how I sit in my chair, the bottom half of the screen seems brighter than the top half. It's noticeable when web browsing because the bottom grey of the firefox taskbar is lighter than the top grey. The other thing I noticed, which could be just an LCD thing or my 6800GT agp video card, but if there is white text on a black background it flickers and has a pinkish tint when I use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down the page. It looks fine when not moving, but it is very annoying when scrolling up or down.

You get used to it...bugged me at first in exactly that way you describe...

53 brightness and 48 contrast with Standard picture mode and "normal" color mode were what I was using before I sold the V2400W from this review. I didn't sell it because I didn't like it, I just found an incredible deal on a Dell 2709W at the time and ended up with too many screens.

10e, What settings are you using now?

53 brightness and 48 contrast with Standard picture mode and "normal" color mode were what I was using before I sold the V2400W from this review. I didn't sell it because I didn't like it, I just found an incredible deal on a Dell 2709W at the time and ended up with too many screens.

Did you find that to be the best?

So in regards to your settings 10e. What mode would you recommend staying in for PC Gaming (no consoles) and regular computer use (browsing, vid watching etc)? Stay in the sRGB with the settings listed previously? Or do you have any others suggestions/recommendations?
My V2400W should arrive either today or monday.

Hey gang. My BenQ V2400W just arrived yesterday as well. It's a fantastic monitor for a TN and I am impressed! IMO, it outclasses the Samsung T240, LG 2452T-TF, HP 2408h, and Gateway FHD 2401, all of which I got to see and use before buying this BenQ sight unseen. However, I will say the LG 2452T-TF has the best viewing angles for whatever reason out of the 5 mentioned.

Anyway, I have been playing with the settings to try and get the colors optimal for my taste and using 10e's base suggestion as a starting point. Here are 2:

Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 55
Contrast: 48
Color Menu--->Color Temp: User Mode
Red: 98
Green: 93
Blue: 82
Then go into Nvidia control panel (for nv owners) and lower gamma to 43% (from 50% default).

OR

Picture Mode: sRGB
(Use same Brightness, Contrast, and 43% gamma as above)

I found that sRGB mode is a tad easier on my eyes as it introduces more yellow and green with less blue into the picture, but makes grays look more taupe/olive in color which I didn't like. Also, there is more banding in sRGB mode from what I saw. Try it and decide for yourself. Both settings make blacks look really good.

I played Left 4 Dead at 1920x1200 with 4xAA/4xAF and it looked terrific! Note that I had to turn on AMA while playing, as there was a definite noticeable lag playing without it (since I am coming from a CRT). I turn off AMA when not in game.

Great monitor -- my first LCD and I love it!

I am glad you like it. It's not my first LCD but I still think the viewing angle is better than many other TN LCDs.

Pretty good settings, brencat! I ran my G2400WD out to my brother's place and tried it out with some Fallout 3 and L4D and they looked stunning! I was really concerned about blacks looking too gray coming from my old CRT, but this screen doesn't disappoint. I know there's better out there, but for a TN (and for the price) it's very good. Definitely looks better on DVI than VGA I had tried earlier. VGA gives a very subtle blur to everything on mine. What do you folks have your sharpness set at? I don't ever see that on peoples' listings and wonder if that's just a setting best left at stock.

Yeah, I didn't touch sharpness at all. In the first profile I listed, it defaulted to 3, and in sRGB mode, I think it was 1.

Just played some COD4 on this thing. Played well but going from a 17" CRT to this 24" monster, even sitting 4' away is going to take some getting used to. I feel like my eyes just got a workout!

I also just received my G2400WD from ncix. Like you I have a dead/stuck? pixel near the center of my screen. It is a light blue color on white background (hardly noticable) and a dark blue/black color on red background. What is the difference between a dead and stuck pixel? I've also tried all the typical fixes to get rid of it with no luck. I'm going to use it for a few more days and see if it is something I notice on a daily basis or not before I send it back. Let me know how the return process goes if you send yours back.

This being the first LCD monitor I've really used, it is taking a little getting used to. The backlight bleed on the edges is noticeable, but not too bad. Playing Left 4 Dead at 16:10 was awesome and I didn't notice any input lag.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but overall I'm pleased and I think I'll be happier with it as time goes on and I adjust to the change from CRT to LCD. Like others have mentioned, if there is any advice to given on calibration or settings for this monitor it would be appreciated.

The bleed on the prior 4-5 monitors I have used and returned or owned was worse.
The viewing angle issue, has nothing to do with this particular monitor, ALL TNs have terrible viewing angles, especially vertical. I have a thick college textbook under the stand raising it another inch so my eyes are about level with the center.
It doesn't bother me much though, since when gaming or typing my eyes are level, and when I sit back to watch tv I just go down a little bit, making the darks a little blacker heh.

So yeah neither of the issues you have will be any different on any other 24" TN. You can go for a smaller one and the viewing angles issue won't feel as bad. The other option is to return it outright and save for a non-TN 24", expect to pay double or more though.

What we actually have is a dead red sub-pixel. 95% of the time you will not notice it, maybe even 100%, unless you are strictly looking for it. I haven't. I may not even bother with the RMA, it is such a tiny tiny defect. Each pixel on the screen is actually 3 in 1, a red blue and green. When they all dead, it is black on white, when its stuck it will be some color on black. Our red just doesn't work so red = black and white missing red = blue.

Hey gang. My BenQ V2400W just arrived yesterday as well. It's a fantastic monitor for a TN and I am impressed! IMO, it outclasses the Samsung T240, LG 2452T-TF, HP 2408h, and Gateway FHD 2401, all of which I got to see and use before buying this BenQ sight unseen. However, I will say the LG 2452T-TF has the best viewing angles for whatever reason out of the 5 mentioned.

Anyway, I have been playing with the settings to try and get the colors optimal for my taste and using 10e's base suggestion as a starting point. Here are 2:

snip

I agree I also looked at all those and like this one better.
I'm so glad I came across this screen before I decided to keep the T220. Again I say it was a great monitor, but I overpaid when the G2400WD can be had for the same price.

I find it interesting that the screen can be made to look so different from the settings on the OSD! You can really tune it to just your preference, my last LCD only had brightness, contrast, and color temp (3 settings).

I really want to get a hardware calibrator one day =)

does anyone have this monitor shut down after its been on for only a second. so i press the power button, it turns on for a second, and goes blank after that. i cant access the menu or anything.
sometimes it works. so i will turn it off/on a few times and then it will actually stay on during one of them.

does anyone have this monitor shut down after its been on for only a second. so i press the power button, it turns on for a second, and goes blank after that. i cant access the menu or anything.
sometimes it works. so i will turn it off/on a few times and then it will actually stay on during one of them.

have you tried various connections? DVI, VGA, HDMI? Perhaps its one of the connections. Also if possible try it with another PC, to try and isolate if its your machine or the monitor.

You may want to just exchange it Mega. Even places without dead pixel policys have to exchange an actual broken one.

Yeah, I didn't touch sharpness at all. In the first profile I listed, it defaulted to 3, and in sRGB mode, I think it was 1.

Just played some COD4 on this thing. Played well but going from a 17" CRT to this 24" monster, even sitting 4' away is going to take some getting used to. I feel like my eyes just got a workout!

Glad you like it Brencat. I think sharpness only does anything when you are using monitor scaling on these screens, or in VGA mode. Otherwise you can adjust it, but it never seems to have much of an effect.

Sorry Megalomaniac, it sounds defective. Either power supply or electronics. Hopefully you can exchange it without too much $$$$$ for shipping.

Hello,

I received the monitor today! But, I can't seem to access the color and sharpness options (grayed out) for some reason. Do I have to install the driver that came with the monitor? Also, Is there any setting or optimization I should be aware of for Nvidia 8600GT (laptop).

Thank you,

Hello,

I received the monitor today! But, I can't seem to access the color and sharpness options (grayed out) for some reason. Do I have to install the driver that came with the monitor? Also, Is there any setting or optimization I should be aware of for Nvidia 8600GT (laptop).

Thank you,
You need to go into the "Picture Advanced" (3rd menu I believe) and select picture mode "standard". Then you'll be able to access the Color line item on the 2nd menu and choose "User Mode". If you leave picture mode in sRGB or another selection, the colors are automatically set in which case you'll only have access to brightness & contrast.

So, what are the ideal setting for this monitor when playing games? sRGB mode? Standard?

Mine came last night and sadly it has to go back today.
It had 1 dead pixel (which wouldnt really be enough to send it back). But when connected with a DVI cable, it kept cycling off and on, and displaying the input source:confused: on top of this, there appeared to be what looked like snow on the monitor. Around the edges of the panel white pixels raced all over the place and even accross the entire face of the monitor. This was very evident with a black background on my desktop. It wasnt like a blizzard of white pixels but more like flurries.:mad:

Has anyone heard of this or experianced this?

Thanks guys,

store has 2 options, ship a replacement to me after they receive mine, or give me a refund.
will probably order a new one and just get it refunded.

Hello,

What's the point of headphone jack if there's no audio input for this monitor? Is there any usefulness for headphone jack?

Thanks,

I REALLY like this 2400WD monitor

but it freaking doesn't work at 57hz (even though it is within specs)
@#$@%%$

I can't run matrox triplehead at 5040x1050

@#$#@

Got myself a V2400W few days ago big upgrade from my 17inch samsung 172x, thou im not very happy with it.. There's so much Blb on all sides left,right, bottom and top, to bad i dont own a camera otherwise i would post a pic, got a GT8800 anyway, so now im kinda thinking of returning it and get a Benq G2400W instead.. or just a New V2400W, rly like the design and all just that its so much Blb, for example if im watching any kind of movie full screen, i can clearly see that its all gray on the bottom of the screen and much darker at the top, rly bothering, its nothing compared to the pics i find on the net.. i have tried diffrent screen settnings and such but i cant seem to get it look good, not in my opinion anyway

Got myself a V2400W few days ago big upgrade from my 17inch samsung 172x, thou im not very happy with it.. There's so much Blb on all sides left,right, bottom and top, to bad i dont own a camera otherwise i would post a pic, got a GT8800 anyway, so now im kinda thinking of returning it and get a Benq G2400W instead.. or just a New V2400W, rly like the design and all just that its so much Blb, for example if im watching any kind of movie full screen, i can clearly see that its all gray on the bottom of the screen and much darker at the top, rly bothering, its nothing compared to the pics i find on the net.. i have tried diffrent screen settnings and such but i cant seem to get it look good, not in my opinion anyway

Maybe you just have a bad screen?
Try get another V2400W.

Yeah my G2400WD (same panel) has very very minor bleed. Completely unnoticeable unless room is pitch black.

Okay, i have decided, im going to send my V2400W back and buy a G2400W and hopefully its better, or if its just that i got a bad V2400W, coz as i said the before, the black areas arent black, and now what i noticed yesterday, that when i was simply scrolling on forum page i had clear ghosting in the text, nothign i have seen before, and im very bad to disocver lag and such in games and ghosting compared to my mate's but Damn, i rly want to think its just my V2400W that' gone bad but i cant be sure so i dont wanna gamble and buy another V2400W

I too had a bad experaince with my first V2400W, however its replacement arrived today, and even tho i am at work, i hooked it up to my lappy and tested it out. This one seems like a keeper, at least when connected via VGA. I will have to give it a realy workout when i get home and can run some CSS and TF2, but even checked it over with DeadPixel buddy, and nothin so far:D
Its gorgeous and im lookin forward to seeing its performance in Gamin.

I just got my V2400W yesterday, so far it looks great.I got it from the BenQ Store, no Dead Pixels !
I had been using a Samsung 226BW and I think this is a nicer monitor.
My wife now owns the Samsung 226BW.
So far I've played GTA4, STALKER Clear Sky, Counter Strike and MOH Breakthrough multi-player. All of them have played great at 1920x1200 with no ghosting or lag. I haven't had a need to turn on AMA or whatever it's called for gaming.
So it looks like I done reading the Display forum here everyday ! :) :p :cool:

I too had a bad experaince with my first V2400W, however its replacement arrived today, and even tho i am at work, i hooked it up to my lappy and tested it out. This one seems like a keeper, at least when connected via VGA. I will have to give it a realy workout when i get home and can run some CSS and TF2, but even checked it over with DeadPixel buddy, and nothin so far:D
Its gorgeous and im lookin forward to seeing its performance in Gamin.

G2400W = older panel, avoid
G2400WD = newer and better, but same as in V2400W

I like the stand and enclosure better on the WD, but other than that the picture is going to look the same as a good V2400W, so just go with whatever cheaper (exchange for another V or get a WD)

Im sending back my monitor today, same time im ordering a new V2400W.. maybe its stupied, but i hope tis diffrent and better, i wonder what the store think's sence im ordering from the same store again, hehe,

alright,
So i got my newer V2400W and had the same issues I posted above. When connected via the DVI cable, and set to 1920 x 1200 the monitor keeps cycling on and off, and re-displaying the input connection. On top of that as mentioned above, when set to 1920 x 1200 resolution (or anything above 1680 x 1050) I get the white pixes / flurries all over the screen:confused: What gives? I am returning this one and, and gonna hold off on the monitor now:mad: Which cheezes me off cause i was really lookin forward to this thing.

On that note: I dont think its a GPU issue, as the original review was done using a 3870 which is comparable to my HD 2900XT!!!

So does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this?

Anyways when i decide to purchase the monitor again, i will prob. go with the G2400WD instead seeing as I have had bad luck with the V2400W.

I have a question. I'm thinking about buying this monitor for my pc/xbox 360 (the old one so no HDMI, I'm using VGA atm.) 10e said at 1920x1080 the 1:1 option is grayed out so it stretches to fill. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed?

Probably not, but 1680x1050 should work fine and so would 1280x720 or 1360x768.

I have a question. I'm thinking about buying this monitor for my pc/xbox 360 (the old one so no HDMI, I'm using VGA atm.) 10e said at 1920x1080 the 1:1 option is grayed out so it stretches to fill. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed?

Hey guys,

looking at picking up a V2400W in the very near future, but I need the make sure of something first; how high is the monitor? The dimensions on the website are obvously wrong.

Could someone please get me an exact measurement of the height of this unit?

Cheers!

From its website the dimensions should be
Dimensions 563.8x369.4x191.7 (HxWxD mm)

Yes, but those dimesions are wrong. Picture the monitor being 56cm HIGH and only 36cm WIDE...

Does this make more sense?
563.8x369.4x191.7 ( W x H x D mm) if the Display Area is 518.5 x 324 (mm)

Back