BenQ V2400W In Depth Review

umm would you be able to play your ps3 at 720p filling up most of the screen (with just small black bars top and bottom)instead of having just a small picture (like the pic where you showed 720p 1:1 pixel mapping at its purest) - or would that look bad? thanks.

Mine was delivered today!! I'm at work, but cannot wait to get home and play with it. I have a 360 already, but my new Elite (w/HDMI) wont be here until weds so I'll give more impressions then.

What the general idea for calibrating this monitor? Which setting? sRGB? Currently my eyes are liking the Movie setting, Brightness 60, Contrast 50. Can anyone with this monitor give me some advice?

Hi 10e did you get a chance to check out the DVI-D cable can work with 6800GT graphic card?

if anyone else in this forum who use 6800GT graphic card with V2400W and they can use dual DVI-D cable please let me know.

Just a note to anyone who is going to buy this monitor, you need to buy a DVI cable as this is not included in the box.

Absolutely.

It looks fine to me. There is some aliasing, but that is the PS3, not the monitors' fault. I generally play PS3 games in the aspect mode so it will stretch to 16:9 full screen with black space above and below.

umm would you be able to play your ps3 at 720p filling up most of the screen (with just small black bars top and bottom)instead of having just a small picture (like the pic where you showed 720p 1:1 pixel mapping at its purest) - or would that look bad? thanks.

Not yet. Still gotta dig it out of the basement :) It's an older BFG 6600GT card.

Hi 10e did you get a chance to check out the DVI-D cable can work with 6800GT graphic card?

if anyone else in this forum who use 6800GT graphic card with V2400W and they can use dual DVI-D cable please let me know.

Just a note to anyone who is going to buy this monitor, you need to buy a DVI cable as this is not included in the box.

Anyone order one of these recently. I ordered 4 days ago with no status updates. Doesn't say shipped or back ordered on the site.

I've called twice and just have been told that it must be back ordered and that I'll receive an e-mail when it ships. The online store lists the monitor as being in stock.

TheNoid: I have set both of my V2400W's like so:
sRGB

Brightness 95
Contrast 55

From Nvidia control panel I have the settings

Brightness: 52%
Digital Vibrance: 0%
Contrast: 30%
Image sharpening: None (Can't even change this)
Gamma: 17%

The other V2400W is a bit brighter and might be just a tiny bit richer on the colors than the other one. It also has the blue led on all the time as the other one doesn't. Maybe an newer version or firmware or something? Does anyone know if it is normal? Should the blue led be on all the time?

I got a call on Friday saying it would be shipping by today. Today I received an e-mail saying it was back ordered. Uhmmm, yea.

TheNoid: I have set both of my V2400W's like so:
sRGB

Brightness 95
Contrast 55

From Nvidia control panel I have the settings

Brightness: 52%
Digital Vibrance: 0%
Contrast: 30%
Image sharpening: None (Can't even change this)
Gamma: 17%

The other V2400W is a bit brighter and might be just a tiny bit richer on the colors than the other one. It also has the blue led on all the time as the other one doesn't. Maybe an newer version or firmware or something? Does anyone know if it is normal? Should the blue led be on all the time?

Thanks!

I must stop reading your reviews 10e you are selling me on everything lol.

Wonder if it´s worth another 100$ to get this over the 2400W. As for PS 3 is it big difference for gaming and bluray here?

I got a call on Friday saying it would be shipping by today. Today I received an e-mail saying it was back ordered. Uhmmm, yea.

I emailed them today wondering why mine hasn't shipped yet also. I was told it was backordered and they didn't know when they next bunch were coming in. It was listed as in stock when i bought too.

I emailed them today wondering why mine hasn't shipped yet also. I was told it was backordered and they didn't know when they next bunch were coming in. It was listed as in stock when i bought too.

Same deal here. Oh well. I just wish I had an estimate on the wait. My current monitor isn't really functioning very well anymore.

Once I get a shipment confirmation from buy.com, I am cancelling my backordered V2400W from the Benq store. I too waited for a couple days. At one point they even came back in stock, but still no ship as it went on backorder again. At buy.com $424 before shipping, you can add a $10 off $200 or more coupon as well.

I've owned this monitor for over 2 months now and I must say I still love it. I just wish it had swivel and height adjustment! I found the lack of usb ports to be no problem at all.

Well, buy.com just shipped one out to me, arriving in 2 days via fedex. I sent an email to Benq to cancel my order. :rolleyes: I don't think they will be in stock at buy.com for long, but who believes those status messages anyway!? :cool: Here's hoping for a problem-free monitor via mail, lol.

BenQ's site says the monitor is in stock again. Lets see if they actually ship me my screen...

I also ordered the v2400 from buy.com a couple days ago, the final price was $413.99 with free shipping...

They (benq) called me yesterday evening and told me it was going to ship out today. Still hasn't changed on the website tho..

They (benq) called me yesterday evening and told me it was going to ship out today. Still hasn't changed on the website tho..

Their customer service appears to be rather sketchy. Hopefully things work out well for the both of us. :D

I finally received tracking. Comes on MONDAY. Hope there's no dead or stuck pixels.

I will be referring to the beginning of this review for ideas on settings, but if someone would like to suggest anything, feel free. I will only be using the monitor with my PS3.

Update from my V2400W without the blue led on. Big bundle of dead pixels showed up and weird turning off and on again problem as well. So I guess the ones without the led on aren't older firmware or anything. Just plain broken :p Going to RMA this next week

I got mine today. Out of the box impressions are good. I lowered the brightness from the factory settings (Can't stand too bright). I'm still trying to figure out what I like for settings. But so far so good. I need to get another cable b/c I'm using a standard vga right now.

very nice review indeed!

as a TN hater I never really bothered reading this

but since I've been waiting for a decent LCD to come out for over 4 years now (the 2490 doesnt sell in EU), I'm even starting to consider this... :(

one thing I couldn't find in your review though:
Black Crush
TNs are rumoured to suffer more from black crush then *VA or IPS monitors

so how does this monitor compare to *VA or IPS panels concerning black crush?

thanks

Tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. Hopefully it comes fairly early so I can mess with it before work.

very nice review indeed!

but since I've been waiting for a decent LCD to come out for over 4 years now (the 2490 doesnt sell in EU), I'm even starting to consider this... :(

Black Crush

thanks
one more thing i couldnt find (or looked over):
is this a wide gamut monitor or standard gamut?

i cant find it in the specs on the benq site either...

It's here. No dead pixels. No bright pixels. Watching some Planet Earth from my PS3. The picture is GREAT. Blacks are very good as long as RGB full range is set on the PS3.

There isn't much black crush here. On the lagom.nl black test I can see pretty clearly down to level 3 or 4, and 1 and 2 from above, as TNs brighten from above viewing angles.

What is great is that the blacks are very good even viewed in the dark (unless someone is viewing them from far above).

The best dark levels are on IPS assuming that the panel is well-calibrated. PVA/MVA suffer the most black crush viewed straight on, but details magically reveal themselves from the sides as MVA/PVA washes out a bit.

The panel is standard 72% NTSC gamut (or sRGB) so no wide gamut issues here.

very nice review indeed!

Black Crush

thanks

Yes, as long as you set Full Range HDMI in the "displays" control panel as well as hitting the triangle button and setting it in A/V settings in the BluRay controls the blacks are good and dark. This is because the V2400W (like the G2400W before it and the G2400WD) support full range HDMI from 0 to 255 levels, whereas others support "video range" or limited, meaning 16 to 255.

Glad you got a great panel.

It's here. No dead pixels. No bright pixels. Watching some Planet Earth from my PS3. The picture is GREAT. Blacks are very good as long as RGB full range is set on the PS3.

i just got mine in today from reading this post but i do have one thing thats bugging me when i pop it in aspect or 1:1 mode on my PS3 the frames seem to dip pretty bad almost like vsync issues is this a known issue that fixable?

i just got mine in today from reading this post but i do have one thing thats bugging me when i pop it in aspect or 1:1 mode on my PS3 the frames seem to dip pretty bad almost like vsync issues is this a known issue that fixable?

What do you mean?

Use 1:1 for any movies. Aspect ratio causes tearing in some movies.

I wish the PS3 would scale games that output at 720p to 1080p. Because it doesn't, I need to switch the screen from 1:1 to aspect ratio for any games that only output at 720p. It's just an annoyance.

I've been looking for a new monitor and i was thinking about picking up one of these.Then i started to read that the 2400WD and V2400W are essentially the same, for me there is a AUD $30 difference between the 2 models, WD being the cheaper one.

Is there any reason to spend the extra $30? I'm a cheap bastard so saving money is always a plus.

Hi All,

The specification of V2400W for Indian Market says that it supports "D-Sub/DVI-D/S-Video/Composite/ component /HDMI".
http://www.benq.co.in/products/LCD/?product=1313&page=specifications

Does this mean that PS2 and STB's (Set-Top-Box) can be directly connected the monitor using Composite/Component with out any intermediate hardwares?

The price of it quoted as INR 25,000 (US $ 600).

TIA
Satya

yes one or the other can be supported I.E. one device thru component and other device thru HDMI,DVI,Composite,Svideo. i would not recommend to use composite or Svideo, the image quality is very poor through these interfaces.

I've been looking for a new monitor and i was thinking about picking up one of these.Then i started to read that the 2400WD and V2400W are essentially the same, for me there is a AUD $30 difference between the 2 models, WD being the cheaper one.
evlcookie,

I've been taking a look at these specs too. There are some differences between the two. For one the Cd/m² is brighter with the v2400w, so you get a brighter image. This brightness is twice in the v2400w. You also have to take into account the designs of the two, the panels are laid out a bit differently as far as construction, one is much thinner and many people prefer that, though it may not be a sticking point for you. Many people like the thinner design. From what I can tell you're paying a bit more for the brightness and the construction.

-sv

I have the 360 without HDMI, i want to buy this monitor to connect my PC and 360, what can i do? i have been reading reviews about the MadCatz Xbox 360 HDMI Conversion Kit and the reviews are so bad, some people thinks is right and most people not, what can i do???

^ i'm wondering the same thing. This monitor is nice in every way except that i wont be able to get 1080 with my old 360 :(.

I've come to conclusion to either sell my 360 and buy a new one or buy a different monitor. Unless somehow benq updated the firmware or something.

Quick question:

Is the G2400WD the V2400W with a normal stand? I want to get the best image quality out of these, but I don't really like the V2400W Stand.

Im thinking the same thing cuz i really like the V2400W but a new xbox, maybe is the other option yes.

Back