BenQ V2400W In Depth Review

I've owned the V2400W for a little over 3 weeks now and this monitor is awesome! Coming from the Dell 2007WFP IPS panel, I was a little worried about the viewing angles on the BenQ, but after using it for almost a month, I haven't found any issues whatsoever. Any reservations regarding the viewing angles for me has been laid to rest.

The only thing I wish this monitor had is a swivel and heigh adjustment stand, but other than that, this thing is beautiful, both the enclosure design as well as the video output! I just watched LoTR on this and I loved it! My preccciouuuuuusssss!

I just set up the V2400W and so far so good

I just have it cloned right now next to my Westinghouse 42" LCD. I just hooked it up via VGA right now going to try DVI later It is a bit dimmer than my Westinghouse which is 500 nits but IMO that's not a bad thing as I often turn down the backlight on my Westinghouse but it's plenty bright. 1280x800 and 1920x1200 both look excellent so far. Colors are pretty good for a TN. Viewing angles are average but good for a TN. The monitor feels responsive. Im probably as picky about input lag as anyone and it feels pretty low... still doesn't have that "crt" feel but it's very close. More later..

What settings are you guys using? I notice quite a bit of color banding (I believe this is the term:confused:) where say the top of fire fox is the normal grey color on the right side but starts to shift to a "yellowish" grey on the left side.

Was curious what settings you guys were using.

What settings are you guys using? I notice quite a bit of color banding (I believe this is the term:confused:) where say the top of fire fox is the normal grey color on the right side but starts to shift to a "yellowish" grey on the left side.

I'm using sRGB and like 50 brightness and 60 contrast. Something of the sort.

The V2400W and G2400WD use the same panel. The slightly older G2400W uses a slightly older panel (methinks).

If it's cheaper, I would go for the G2400WD.

Regards,

10e

thanks 10e.
*switches DVI connector to port2, the farthest from motherboard*

I'm thinking about buying one of these BenQ 2400s but I can grab a G2400 for cheaper so I think I'll go with the G model.
Aside from the appearence, they use the same panel and specifications are exactly the same it seems correct?

That's strange. I get the opposite effect on Firefox 2.x, where the right side is "yellower" than the left. I get this on all my monitors though, so my assumption is that it's Firefox's menu bar.

I'm using 60 brightness and 54 contrast right now in sRGB mode.

Regards,

10e

FYI, I think I'm going to take the plunge on this myself..

I just wanted to chime and and say that @ BenQ's official store it is still 449, and the promo code of V2400W is good through 7/16 making this panel $409 shipped. I believe newegg has the G2400WD for $399 Shipped which puts these panels at virtually identical price points for those of you on the fence. I just sold my current 19" for $50 to my roomate if I do this, so, seems like a good enough birthday present to myself, eh.

http://store.benq.us/benq-us/product.aspx?sku=3844863&culture=en-US

I just got my v2400w today, coming from a 17" to 24" is huge. I notice the text on the BenQ is kind of blurry, I remember when I got my 17" it was like this too. How do I fix this blurriness, and make it sharper. And what are some good brightness/contrast settings? BTW I'm using VGA, will DVI make a significant difference in regular website viewing? thanks

I notice the text on the BenQ is kind of blurry...

I got my V2400W last Thursday (2 in fact but that's another story)- and the significant factor in choosing the 2400w in a side by side test over a Gateway FHD2400 was the sharpness of both text and of images. The qualitative difference between the Benq and the Gateway was demonstrable. Even my 5 year old daughter chose the Benq over the Gateway. So the Gateway went back. But! I'm using a DVI cable, not VGA. I remember on my old Sceptre the image was so-so till I upgraded to a DVI cable. Using a Best Deal Cable dvi cable- essentially garden hose for your monitor that I've been very happy with for over a year. Even the pencil thin dvi that came with the Gateway would be an improvement. They are on sale right now, but shipping is a hefty $9.00 bucks or so (got a free shipping deal last year when they were on sale); and Monoprice has a comparable cable plus ferrite cores at either end, but they are out of stock since last week (waiting for the 'in-stock' email). Check out http://www.bestdealcables.com/p-94-click-here-for-dvi-cable-lengths.aspx or http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10209 (they are still oos on the 3 and 6 footers, so I may have to go with the Best Deal Cable). Either way you'll be pleased.

Did your V2400 come boxed in a second outer box with peanuts? Both of mine came in the normal box... and amazingly enough actually survived FedEx.

Question to those who know: the Monoprice come with Ferrite Cores whereas the Best Deal Cables come with Conductor plating which the Monoprice doesn't, but the BDC don't come with ferrite cores. What's the trade off? Is one a more powerful/beneficial feature than the other? Or just simply a trade off?

Thanks.

My V2400W came in the one box like yours. Right now, im starting to adjust to the big size and text are looking clearer, but not as good as my 17" and my eyes are getting somewhat tired. I already bought some DVI cables at amazon so hopefully they come soon. What are some of your settings for brightness/contrast/sharpness/etc?

Hitting the "auto adjust" (left most OSD button) may help in this regard, but VGA quality of text is not nearly as good as DVI on this monitor.

Sharpness may affect the VGA text so you can try going one up or down (ie. 2 or 4 in OSD) to see if it helps.

I use brightness of 65 and contrast of around 50. I find once the contrast goes past 60, the image starts to wash out to white a lot.

Regards,

10e

My V2400W came in the one box like yours. Right now, im starting to adjust to the big size and text are looking clearer, but not as good as my 17" and my eyes are getting somewhat tired. I already bought some DVI cables at amazon so hopefully they come soon. What are some of your settings for brightness/contrast/sharpness/etc?

I don't think there is a huge advantage from one to the other.

EMI does not affect digital signalling as much, and the conductor plating would only be important to reduce pin tarnishing, so either should be fine. Price and availability would be my deciding factor.

Regards,

10e

I got my V2400W last Thursday (2 in fact but that's another story)- and the significant factor in choosing the 2400w in a side by side test over a Gateway FHD2400 was the sharpness of both text and of images. The qualitative difference between the Benq and the Gateway was demonstrable. Even my 5 year old daughter chose the Benq over the Gateway. So the Gateway went back. But! I'm using a DVI cable, not VGA. I remember on my old Sceptre the image was so-so till I upgraded to a DVI cable. Using a Best Deal Cable dvi cable- essentially garden hose for your monitor that I've been very happy with for over a year. Even the pencil thin dvi that came with the Gateway would be an improvement. They are on sale right now, but shipping is a hefty $9.00 bucks or so (got a free shipping deal last year when they were on sale); and Monoprice has a comparable cable plus ferrite cores at either end, but they are out of stock since last week (waiting for the 'in-stock' email). Check out http://www.bestdealcables.com/p-94-click-here-for-dvi-cable-lengths.aspx or http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10209 (they are still oos on the 3 and 6 footers, so I may have to go with the Best Deal Cable). Either way you'll be pleased.

Did your V2400 come boxed in a second outer box with peanuts? Both of mine came in the normal box... and amazingly enough actually survived FedEx.

Question to those who know: the Monoprice come with Ferrite Cores whereas the Best Deal Cables come with Conductor plating which the Monoprice doesn't, but the BDC don't come with ferrite cores. What's the trade off? Is one a more powerful/beneficial feature than the other? Or just simply a trade off?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Go DVI all the way man! And just so you know, the cable type shouldn't affect your image quality at all. This article from mycablemart.com should explain all.

http://www.mycablemart.com/features/hdmi_cables_q_and_a.php#So,_are_your_$8.00_cables_the_same_as_the_$80.00_cables

Just got my DVI cable, the picture looks so much better now, no more blur. Is it normal that the auto-adjust button doesnt work for DVI? Also how do I change the picture to 1:1 when playing old games that don't use max 1920x1200 resolution?

Just got my DVI cable, the picture looks so much better now, no more blur. Is it normal that the auto-adjust button doesnt work for DVI? Also how do I change the picture to 1:1 when playing old games that don't use max 1920x1200 resolution?

I think it does 1:1 automatically if I'm not mistaken. I'm playing Diablo 2 at 800x600 and it stretches it just fine.

Are you sure about the pixel mapping? From the reviews, it seems like you can scale it to whatever you want. What about your auto-adjust button, when u press it, does it do anything?

Rekki:

The Auto button is disabled when using a DVI input.

Buried in/on the CD are various manuals; one of which has a section on the ability of the V2400W to scale automatically dependent on source/input. I just skimmed it; but the section appeared to be fairly comprehensive.

Check it out- it's in there somewhere.

Best.

I got the G2400WD this weekend with the free shipping and the 10% off coupon and it only cost me $359.10. Standard shipping was fast for me (2 days) as I am only 350 miles from the warehouse. I am running at Brightness at 78, Contrast at 49, Sharpness at 3, Red at 97, Green at 93, and Blue at 85.

Was curious if seeing lines was normal for lcd's? Kinda hard for me to explain but when I look closely at the monitor I can see slightly see lines or what looks to be sections of lighter shades.

I really notice this in darker video games when I move up and down....It's not tooo noticeable but wanted to make sure this was normal.

V2400W still going good here.

I did some more input lag testing today against my CRT on both ports of my 7900GTX and it appears both ports on this card are about the same speed. The V2400W was consistently in the 10-20ms range with most pics around 16-17ms and a few scattered here and there that were equal but very few if any above 17ms or so. My guess is that true input lag on this monitor is in the 13-17ms range which is near 1 frame which is as good as it gets right now unless you want to play on the CRT. I also found that AMA appears to add no lag and even appeared a bit faster than default. I would recommend AMA for gaming.

I just finished up playing some CSS on the V2400 and it's the most responsive display I have felt since CRT days. Im very very picky about input lag and I honestly can still "feel" the difference between the V2400W and my CRT on the desktop despite the very low lag levels but it's very minor. I also have a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 which I have tested to be near 30ms and honestly it's night and day different playing on the V2400W and I have noticed im playing much better and reactions feel much more crisp. Im going to start playing all my game systems and PC on the V2400W now regardless of the screen size.

Maybe in another year or two we see even lower input lag LCD's or true 120hz frame displays but until then im pretty happy with this. I really feel for all those players that are playing games on higher lag displays and don't know it and crack it up to just being bad... input lag is a real problem if you are a serious player.

V2400W still going good here.

I did some more input lag testing today against my CRT on both ports of my 7900GTX and it appears both ports on this card are about the same speed. The V2400W was consistently in the 10-20ms range with most pics around 16-17ms and a few scattered here and there that were equal but very few if any above 17ms or so. My guess is that true input lag on this monitor is in the 13-17ms range which is near 1 frame which is as good as it gets right now unless you want to play on the CRT. I also found that AMA appears to add no lag and even appeared a bit faster than default. I would recommend AMA for gaming.

I just finished up playing some CSS on the V2400 and it's the most responsive display I have felt since CRT days. Im very very picky about input lag and I honestly can still "feel" the difference between the V2400W and my CRT on the desktop despite the very low lag levels but it's very minor. I also have a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 which I have tested to be near 30ms and honestly it's night and day different playing on the V2400W and I have noticed im playing much better and reactions feel much more crisp. Im going to start playing all my game systems and PC on the V2400W now regardless of the screen size.

Maybe in another year or two we see even lower input lag LCD's or true 120hz frame displays but until then im pretty happy with this. I really feel for all those players that are playing games on higher lag displays and don't know it and crack it up to just being bad... input lag is a real problem if you are a serious player.

What exactly does the AMA do? I tried turning it on and off while playing CSS and did not notice any difference. What I did notice tho is on desktop with it turned on I seen a white shadow of the cursor when moving, when I disabled it it went away.

Also I am curious if your monitor does this or this was just an lcd trate. Right now I am looking at my gray desktop and if I focus in on it I can see 2 very very very faint bars going across. It's like the center is a tad brighter than the top and bottom, I notice this even more when playing a video game thats a little dark. When I look up and down I can really notice it.

Not sure if I explained what I am seeing correctly, its really hard to explain:(

AMA reduces ghosting I believe by doing something with the power internals. It reduces response to 2ms vs 5ms. It doesn't appear to affect input lag like some other LCD's which is why I recommend it for gaming. From looking at some scrolling text it does appear the AMA does work. It's not really a great idea for non-gaming as it causes some weird things when just viewing the desktop.

I have noticed anything like you are talking about... not sure about that.

Will be getting one in a few hours, was trying to decide which 24" to get but the reviews on the forum have been pretty amazing (helped me decide). Can't wait to test the monitor out for myself.

I read alot of the reviews on the v2400w but now that im seriously considering buying one, would I be able to mount this on something? The off center stand looks bad.

V2400W does not have vesa so no it will not be able to be mounted. if you don't like the stand maybe you should consider G2400WD

so g2400wd can be mounted if i wanted and pretty similar to the v2400w? I can get a v2400w @ benq for 440 shipped ground or g2400wd @buy.com for 355 2nd day. HArd choice :p

if you would worry of dead pixel I will recommend you to go with BenQ store directly. It seems that they have better return policy.

I saw one of the V2400Ws in a shop yesterday... can't stand the assymetry. I think it was a bad move by BenQ. This monitor looked like the left of the screen was higher off the table than the left, not sure if it was actually skewed or whether it was just an optical illusion, but either way it looked bad to me.

Its either a G2400W or V2400W, I dont believe they sell G2400WDs in Australia.

weird, in US, it seems that G2400W is gone and only G2400WD can be found...

Can someone please explain this.

One review show great differencies in color while another one show awful differencies.

V2400W RED (review 1 - looks great):
http://www.bexox.com/images/BenQV2400W/IMG_1562.JPG
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317302

V2400W RED (review 2 - looks awful):
http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=19ti2.jpg
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1321707

How is it possible to get so different results?

Not sure why, but if you take the photo from further away, you'll get less color shift. If you take the photo from very close you'll get a lot of color shift as the difference in angle between the top and bottom of the screen is massive.

Also different cameras themselves will often give different results.

Can someone please explain this.

One review show great differencies in color while another one show awful differencies.

V2400W RED (review 2 - looks awful):
http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=19ti2.jpg
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1321707

How is it possible to get so different results?

Very possible. I don't know where the first image is from but I suspect it is a pure red image. But the second "red" is from the lagom viewing angle test, which exists mainly to show up problems with TN screens. That second image is is not a pure red screen. It is red with a blue component mixed in. The photo is then taken very close to the monitor to further exaggerate the effect.

All TN screens will do this on that "test" as the test is essentially designed to make TN look bad. It is no way reflective of real world results. My TN screen does the same thing on this image, but I never see anything like this in games movies or anything else.

thanx for the good reply. I understand.

I think the viewingangle is allright on my G2400W and according to 10e V2400W has better viewingangles so it shouldnt really be a problem for me.

I wouldn't say they are better, but they are definitely no worse, that's for sure. So if you are used to the G2400W the V2400W or G2400WD should be fine.

The problem I have with the DigitalVersus comparison is that they make the V look worse, but the photos look like they are taken from a more extreme angle.

I had them side-by-side for almost two weeks and in course of comparison I found that the V2400W had slightly better color saturation. It is definitely not a wide gamut monitor so there is no oversaturation, but it seems a bit stronger and deeper.

Some people complain about dull colors, but in having it next to my Dell 2005FPW I never thought they were dull, and I consider the Dell to be pretty good in regards to accuracy.

Next to the NEC everything looks dull because it is wide gamut crazy color.

thanx for the good reply. I understand.

I think the viewingangle is allright on my G2400W and according to 10e V2400W has better viewingangles so it shouldnt really be a problem for me.

I have had a problem with my G2400WD not coming out of standby mode in the DVI input (I have not tested any other input). About half of the time it doesn't come out of standby and I have to turn the monitor off and then back on.

Try both ports of the video card and see if that helps.

Port 1 on an ATI card is the port furthest from the motherboard and on nVidia it's the opposite.

I had this issue with my first G2400W, but the second one and the V2400W never had this problem.

[21CW]killerofall;1032774227 said:
I have had a problem with my G2400WD not coming out of standby mode in the DVI input (I have not tested any other input). About half of the time it doesn't come out of standby and I have to turn the monitor off and then back on.

I now have a v2400w and I absolutely love it... only problem I have had thus far is once I was using my 360 over HDMI and I went back to DVI (computer) and the picture was distorted... had green and red dots all over with horizontal lines of the same colors. I could still see the desktop but regardless of what I did it wouldn't go back to normal. I ended up restarting the computer and it came back normal. Hasn't happened again since.

Back