BenQ V2400W In Depth Review

P.S. A little off topic, but if money is not an issue (if well spent, futureproof), would I be better off just getting a
nice 120hz Sony or Samsung 32-40" 1080P HDTV to use as a PC monitor and for the XBOX 360? I know the picture
and viewing angles on the HDTVs are way better than any 24" monitor, but how do you know the real response time
and lag on a HDTV? Are they faster or slower than these 24" monitors and how do they look (internet/text wise) as
a computer monitor?
Thanks

since you brought it up 10e

which monitor does your head turn to more? the V2400W of the NEC 2690 WUXi?

I also went to Best Buy and looked at the Gateway FHD2400 (since I need HDMI and DVI-D HCDP) and I could not stand that the monitor totally changed colors and darkened when you move your head up or down at all. I also heard that you can not have your computer hooked up DVI and get your post/bios screen to show. Is this true?

Yeah, I hate that and it bothered me when I noticed it for the first time after my purchase. To read the reviews and be aware of the problems to look out for when purchasing an LCD is one thing. To actually have owned one and know if its going to bother you is another. Some things bothered people, while others didn't. What I am saying is, I just didn't know how bad people were making some defects of the monitor (very sensitive person opinion vs. not sensitive)

I also heard that you can not have your computer hooked up DVI and get your post/bios screen to show. Is this true?

..ahhhh...from what i remember, I can get it to show...

I don't want to waste $500 on a monitor I can't stand, especially if better technology (better viewing angles, especially vertically and less lag/faster response) monitors are coming out soon.

lol.Genau. I didn't want to waste $500 either..but when searching to get my first LCD...mixed reviews/opinions everywhere..especially with LCD's

imo

My NEC is connected to my PS3 and the V2400W is on the Xbox 360. My PC is connected to both.

For general computer use, the NEC gets more attention, as well as for BluRay movies or video. It is an incredible display, and the slight but noticeable input lag does not cause me issues with console gaming. It's also bigger (26 vs. 24) and has incredible viewing angles, and due to the size, has larger text.

It also has built in color calibration (ie. you calibrate the monitor not the computer) and a number of prosumer features.

It isn't a comparison really. The only thing the NEC can't do is interlaced resolutions so if I use my cable box to watch some TV, I'll use the V2400w (because my box can only do 1080i).

Regards,

10e

since you brought it up 10e

which monitor does your head turn to more? the V2400W of the NEC 2690 WUXi?

Actually viewing angle on some monitors based on IPS panels can be better than the Sony and Samsung PVA based TVs.

Lag is low on the newer models. Samsung has a gaming mode. You cannot use the gaming mode in general together with 120hz. It's one or the other at any one time.

Response time on HDTVs is generally competitive with monitors, but input lag is an unknown. The aforementioned gaming mode can eliminate almost all input lag. Look over on AVS forums for the Samung 550 TVs and input lag and it seems quite low.

Here is the Samsung A650 vs. a Laptop (generally none or little lag)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13897467#post13897467

Look for post 9177 near the middle bottom.

Here is the A550 vs. a Soyo Topaz. Add about 1 to 2 frames to the measurements as the Soyo does have some lag as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13959885&highlight=input+lag#post13959885

Look for Post 3671.

Most TVs other than Sharps have text as good as most monitors.

Regards,

10e

P.S. A little off topic, but if money is not an issue (if well spent, futureproof), would I be better off just getting a
nice 120hz Sony or Samsung 32-40" 1080P HDTV to use as a PC monitor and for the XBOX 360? I know the picture
and viewing angles on the HDTVs are way better than any 24" monitor, but how do you know the real response time
and lag on a HDTV? Are they faster or slower than these 24" monitors and how do they look (internet/text wise) as
a computer monitor?
Thanks

Check Jim Robbins' review here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317302

He lists it as having no lag vs. his CRT. Digital Versus often exaggerates lag a bit.

Regards,

10e

Rydawg5143, I was wondering the same thing, but if you buy it directly from Benq website,
they are giving $90 off, so it comes to the same price as the G2400W.

BUT, can anyone who has used or knows about both the G2400W and the new V2400w answer
which is REALLY better? Especially for gaming on PC and Xbox 360 HDMI? Because check out the Face to Face comparison and the G2400W is actually WAY FASTER with LESS LAG???

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12

Any reviewers please chime in on your thoughts of which of the two are better. I also went to Best Buy and looked at the Gateway FHD2400 (since I need HDMI and DVI-D HCDP) and I could not stand that the monitor totally changed colors and darkened when you move your head up or down at all. I also heard that you can not have your computer hooked up DVI and get your post/bios screen to show. Is this true? I am coming from using a Samsung 214T which is a 1600x1200 21inch MVA screen. The colors and viewing angles are excellent, but I need widescreen 1080p now and a faster panel for games. I don't want to waste $500 on a monitor I can't stand, especially if better technology (better viewing angles, especially vertically and less lag/faster response) monitors are coming out soon. Obviously I am looking for the best looking, fastest for gaming, and has both HDMI and DVI with HDCP for use with PC (DVI and need to see my bios!), Xbox 360 HDMI, and future blue ray. Please help....

e2g, did you return the Gateway, or did you get used to the viewing angles? If you returned it, what are you using now??
Thanks

It isn't a comparison really. The only thing the NEC can't do is interlaced resolutions so if I use my cable box to watch some TV, I'll use the V2400w (because my box can only do 1080i).

Does that mean if you plug the V2400W into a set top box which outputs 1080i the V2400W will happily display it? I was under the impression that you couldn't plug PC LCDs straight into TV connections because the frequency of TV was lower than PC monitors and also because they wouldn't be able to deal with the interlaced signal. Hence the need for TV tuner cards in your PC.

I'm interested to know because I'm living on campus at university so dont have much space for both a computer and a TV, so want to use my PC monitor (hope to buy a G2400W next week) as a TV and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set it up.

Thanks for the info, but from what I gather from face to face, the NEC would
have about a 2 frame lag and my Samsung 214T about a 2-3 frame lag.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=65&p1=702&ma2=52&mo2=149&p2=1606&ph=12

I think that is why I am getting killed in Halo :}

My god, look at how the BenQ G2400 scores, no lag at all, better than the V2400
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12

I wish face to face had a Gateway FHD2400 option to compare the lag to the BenQs,
because I figure other than the glossy panel (which I like), I would much rather pick up
and be able to return it at BestBuy if I get a stuck pixel (it would drive me nuts). It's not the price, as I paid $800 for my 214T and I love the picture/viewing angles. But I need 1080p widescreen and have to think that the 2-3 frames lag is really affecting my multiplayer gaming. Does anyone know how the Gateway FHD2400 compares to these BenQ's, as it was rated as one of the top 24" gaming monitors on Anand's LCD thread.

e2g, did you return the Gateway, or did you get used to the viewing angles? If you returned it, what are you using now??
Thanks

I use the gateway. I got it last year in Nov. Returned the first one couple days later because of a dead pixel(s) and now, haven't seen one since. The viewing angles don't bother me that much as I am always directly in front of my monitor. However, if you are using a system where you would like to occasionally watch it with 1 or two other friends..sitting 4-5 feet away, the people on the outside will get a darker image...whatever that term is called. I really like the monitor for its price....the amount of inputs it had to offer (AT THAT PRICE), and its crisp colour reproduction...also...the amount of inputs it has :D. Oh yeah, plus usb hub.

Doesn't seem to be too high based on this:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=12

Check it out. You can always return it to BB if it's trash. Here is the thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231866&highlight=fhd2400

the last few pages are most important.

Regards,

10e

Thanks for the info, but from what I gather from face to face, the NEC would
have about a 2 frame lag and my Samsung 214T about a 2-3 frame lag.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=65&p1=702&ma2=52&mo2=149&p2=1606&ph=12

I think that is why I am getting killed in Halo :}

My god, look at how the BenQ G2400 scores, no lag at all, better than the V2400
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12

I wish face to face had a Gateway FHD2400 option to compare the lag to the BenQs,
because I figure other than the glossy panel (which I like), I would much rather pick up
and be able to return it at BestBuy if I get a stuck pixel (it would drive me nuts). It's not the price, as I paid $800 for my 214T and I love the picture/viewing angles. But I need 1080p widescreen and have to think that the 2-3 frames lag is really affecting my multiplayer gaming. Does anyone know how the Gateway FHD2400 compares to these BenQ's, as it was rated as one of the top 24" gaming monitors on Anand's LCD thread.

Yes I've done it, and it does work.

The Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box I have does some weird stuff though, and sometimes there is a bit of a periodic stutter in the screen. I'm pretty sure it's the box, because PS3 and Xbox 360 at 1080i don't do it, but I thought I'd warn you about it just in case. The box only outputs up to 1080i.

I haven't seen the issue with other monitors connected to this box.

Also the V2400W and G2400W don't have an "extension block" so sound will not pass through HDMI unless you have a way of forcing it in the HD boxes' menus.

Regards,

10e

Does that mean if you plug the V2400W into a set top box which outputs 1080i the V2400W will happily display it? I was under the impression that you couldn't plug PC LCDs straight into TV connections because the frequency of TV was lower than PC monitors and also because they wouldn't be able to deal with the interlaced signal. Hence the need for TV tuner cards in your PC.

I'm interested to know because I'm living on campus at university so dont have much space for both a computer and a TV, so want to use my PC monitor (hope to buy a G2400W next week) as a TV and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set it up.

10e, if you have the NEC IPS, why not do some side-by-side shots with your camera of the desktop and a game? Without a reference in the same shot by the same camera under the same conditions, we have no idea how close or far away this TN is, and a lot of us are skeptical.

I don't get why the V2400W is any better than the G2400W? The G2400W has less lag, and they both have the same inputs, color accuracy, and lousy viewing angles. Is the V2400W any better vertical viewing angle wise, if not then the G2400W is still the better monitor?

So you are trying to gauge the distance of the screen from the photos?

Ok, here are a couple of shots for you of what you asked. I also included the same photo three times to show difference of viewing angles.

Straight on:

2602181001_187ac3a6a0_b.jpg

Below:

2602189843_8aa731e874_b.jpg

Above:

2603020776_d78b1d4374_b.jpg

Game: from a side angle:

2603011110_03d19eae48_b.jpg

Notice above the V2400W's TN panel brightens, from below it darkens and from the side there isn't much difference, nor from the front. The NEC is a little bit taller and wider.

If you are wondering what the grey reflection-like thing is, it's from the game. The v2400W is ahead of the NEC and has almost completely finished showing it.

Hope that helps

10e

10e, if you have the NEC IPS, why not do some side-by-side shots with your camera of the desktop and a game? Without a reference in the same shot by the same camera under the same conditions, we have no idea how close or far away this TN is, and a lot of us are skeptical.

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

Must you post the exact same thing in every V/G2400 thread? :p If you post it in 1 of them, we can see it, no need to copy and paste it into all the others.

I'm in a similar boat to you, though I've kinda decided the V2400W isn't worth the 23% extra that it costs in Australia compared to the G2400W. One worry I have is that 10e's review states the contrast ratio as above 900 for pretty much any brightness, where as digital versus lists it as below 800 for both 200 and 100cd/m^2, and it is actually lower than the G2400W. Not that I'm worried its worse than the G2400W, more so that the benefits 10e has listed of the V over the G wont actually exist on a monitor I buy. From what I can see digital versus dont usually downplay contrast ratios, for other monitors they appear to be close to what other reviews say.

Sorry about the multiple posts, but I assumed they were different forum catagories and different reviewers and forum regulars would see the different threads. If not, why aren't they all combined into one thread. I know there will be 5 reviews coming out on the V2400, so 5 threads will come out with different information and people responding...

thanks 10e for the referral on NCIX - i know this store but didn't know they have it. they are also selling it at $409 CAD until this week (speical promotion) - actually i've been doing a little bit of research on this, and i found the there is anestore for benq canada too but of course the benq america has a better price - $449 CAD vs $409 USD. looks like i'll go for the one from NCIX :)

o i fogot to reply to you about where i'm from - i'm from T dot O dot :)
how about u?

one more thing 10e, did you do a review on g2400w, looks like this is another new 24" model - saw it on NCIX. The price is cheaper but i assume it does not have as much features as the v2400w - i think it is only missing dynamic contrast ratio - let me know if it is a good buy, i probably want to refer it to my cousin. she only needs it for mostly data viewing, so don't think contrast ratio is in impt thing to her. pls let me know. tks.

Hey Jow,

I'm in the Greater Toronto Area as well. The G2400W is the older model. I bought this one in January from Tiger Direct in Markham, but I never did a full review of it.

It should be fine for your cousin. It's almost the same LCD panel (the screen inside) as the V2400W and it only lacks overdrive and dynamic contrast, as you mentioned. It's not as sexy of a bezel/design, but it is great for text/data work. The text is as sharp and the panel is also not overly bright.

Regards,

10e

I retested again, and it still came out to over 900:1 contrast ratio all through the brightness (even 0%).

I made sure to remove any color profiles from my system first to "uncalibrate".

It may be that they had a panel with worse black levels or BLB accounting for the difference. My Eye One Display 2 is the same version that they use with Lacie Blue Eye Pro, so I can't completely account for the differences. If my panel came up to like 300 cdm/2 at full brightness then I would be very skeptical that I received a "special" model but the brightness went up to about 230 cdm/2 which is close to the spec of 250 cdm/2 listed by BenQ for the G2400W/WD/V2400W models.

If I use my Color Spyder 2 colorimeter I get close to 650:1 contrast ratio because it has problems with good blacks. It rarely will register less than 0.25, whereas the I1D2 colorimeter has been able to go below 0.10. Remember, contrast ratio is as simple as the brightest white (RGB 255,255,255) divided by the darkest black (RGB 0,0,0). So if a panel does 230 cdm/2 white and a 0.3 cdm/2 black the contrast ratio is 230 divided by 0.3 which is 766:1.

If the contrast ratio is consistent with the G2400WD throughout the brightness scale it is a good attribute. What we look for here, is that the contrast "stability" is good, so you don't lower the brightness to 40 or 50 and lose half your contrast ratio and have dark colors turn to black and become invisible, and end up with "greys" instead of whites.

I can guarantee that the contrast ratio of the G/V2400W/D is sufficient, and even my older G2400W is able to keep it above 600:1 at the darkest settings.

If you take a look at DigitalVerus, the HP W2408H is doing 400 to 450:1. This would be low and somewhat washed out methinks. Whites may not be bright, or blacks may be too light.

Hope that helps,

10e

Must you post the exact same thing in every V/G2400 thread? :p If you post it in 1 of them, we can see it, no need to copy and paste it into all the others.

I'm in a similar boat to you, though I've kinda decided the V2400W isn't worth the 23% extra that it costs in Australia compared to the G2400W. One worry I have is that 10e's review states the contrast ratio as above 900 for pretty much any brightness, where as digital versus lists it as below 800 for both 200 and 100cd/m^2, and it is actually lower than the G2400W. Not that I'm worried its worse than the G2400W, more so that the benefits 10e has listed of the V over the G wont actually exist on a monitor I buy. From what I can see digital versus dont usually downplay contrast ratios, for other monitors they appear to be close to what other reviews say.

I can get the G2400WD for about $60 less than the V2400W (after S&H). (V through BenQ with code thankyou10 and G through Buy.com) Is there really any reason to get the V2400W over the G2400WD if you aren't concerned about the style of the monitor and just the performance? BTW can you recommend any color calibration software to go with my Spyder2 colorimeter that is better than the Express version of the software that I currently own?

I don't think there is much difference between the two, and I highly doubt there is any internal differences (ie. the panel, eletctronics, overdrive, scaler, etc...). If it's cheaper and aesthetics are not a priority, it should be great.

I use a program called BasicColor 4.1.8 for Windows. It works with the Spyder2, though I find my results are better with my Eye One Display 2 colorimeter. I did find my results on the G2400W with Spyder2Express to be OK.

You can actually get a trial (14 day version) of BasicColor from the link below if you want to try it. It has a pretty cool step where it will go through a bunch of colors and have you manually adjust brightness, red, green, and blue values on your monitor prior to performing the profile creation. You'll find colors should be pretty good out of the box though, so calibration isn't mandatory with the G2400WD or V2400W (assuming calibration on the G2400WD is similar to the V2400W).

Here's the link for BasicColor. You can sign up and register and try it out for 14 days. If you create a profile with it, the profile will not expire (the .icm file) or anything like that.

Here you go:

http://license.basiccolor.de/login.asp?oemId=1&language=EN

Regards,

10e

[21CW]killerofall;1032664336 said:
I can get the G2400WD for about $60 less than the V2400W (after S&H). (V through BenQ with code thankyou10 and G through Buy.com) Is there really any reason to get the V2400W over the G2400WD if you aren't concerned about the style of the monitor and just the performance? BTW can you recommend any color calibration software to go with my Spyder2 colorimeter that is better than the Express version of the software that I currently own?

I retested again, and it still came out to over 900:1 contrast ratio all through the brightness (even 0%).

I made sure to remove any color profiles from my system first to "uncalibrate".

It may be that they had a panel with worse black levels or BLB accounting for the difference. My Eye One Display 2 is the same version that they use with Lacie Blue Eye Pro, so I can't completely account for the differences. If my panel came up to like 300 cdm/2 at full brightness then I would be very skeptical that I received a "special" model but the brightness went up to about 230 cdm/2 which is close to the spec of 250 cdm/2 listed by BenQ for the G2400W/WD/V2400W models.

If I use my Color Spyder 2 colorimeter I get close to 650:1 contrast ratio because it has problems with good blacks. It rarely will register less than 0.25, whereas the I1D2 colorimeter has been able to go below 0.10. Remember, contrast ratio is as simple as the brightest white (RGB 255,255,255) divided by the darkest black (RGB 0,0,0). So if a panel does 230 cdm/2 white and a 0.3 cdm/2 black the contrast ratio is 230 divided by 0.3 which is 766:1.

If the contrast ratio is consistent with the G2400WD throughout the brightness scale it is a good attribute. What we look for here, is that the contrast "stability" is good, so you don't lower the brightness to 40 or 50 and lose half your contrast ratio and have dark colors turn to black and become invisible, and end up with "greys" instead of whites.

I can guarantee that the contrast ratio of the G/V2400W/D is sufficient, and even my older G2400W is able to keep it above 600:1 at the darkest settings.

If you take a look at DigitalVerus, the HP W2408H is doing 400 to 450:1. This would be low and somewhat washed out methinks. Whites may not be bright, or blacks may be too light.

Hope that helps,

10e

Remember, contrast ratio is as simple as the brightest white (RGB 255,255,255) divided by the darkest black (RGB 0,0,0).

It's not as simple.

This is how so-called "dynamic contrast ratio" is calculated - a marketing trick to attract more attention. "Dynamic CR" in fact does not have physical sense.

Contrast ratio is brightness of white divided by brightness of black - both measured at a particular brightness of white.

lower the brightness to 40 or 50 and lose half your contrast ratio and have dark colors turn to black and become invisible, and end up with "greys" instead of whites

Possible if you talk about a particular low quality monitor.

Incorrect if you talk in general.
1/2 contrast does not mean at all that "colors turn black and become invisible".
"Whiteness of white" depends on luminance of white and the quality of monitor electronics/parts - not on contrast ratio.

Thank you.

Thanx for a nice review.

I would like to know about the G2400W. How low is dark shades like rgb (1,1,1) visible at factory settings or like 50% contrast ?

How many of the below boxes is visible ?

test.png

I just got the monitor and am very happy with the PC DVI side of things. However, I am having problems
with the XBOX 360 over HDMI. The standard brightness/contrast is way to low, everything is dark and dingy. I needed to crank the contrast from 50 to about 75 so I can see in dark areas and brighten up my colors, this of course blows out the whites. Is there any way to use the monitors menu to adjust the R,G,B so I can get vibrant colors on the XBOX like on the PC? Those options always seem to be greyed out and not available. Can anyone tell me how they get the xbox colors to look colory, and I have tried standard, intermediate, and extended blacks which are all about the same. Also, the framerate on xbox games is horribly low and choppy, should I change the 1080p setting down to 720p and then let the monitor scale it up? I think the graphics card in the xbox can't handle 1080p especially in GTA IV.

Hmm, XBOX looks best at 100 contrast and 100 brightness. There is some bloom, but at least there is a little color. The colors still don't come out like on a CRT or my Sony 40" HDTV. The colors on the v2400 just look blah, the metals don't reflect and shine well and glowing things barely glow neon. The monitor is razor sharp, just wish I could get some color....

I just got the monitor and am very happy with the PC DVI side of things. However, I am having problems
with the XBOX 360 over HDMI. The standard brightness/contrast is way to low, everything is dark and dingy. I needed to crank the contrast from 50 to about 75 so I can see in dark areas and brighten up my colors, this of course blows out the whites. Is there any way to use the monitors menu to adjust the R,G,B so I can get vibrant colors on the XBOX like on the PC? Those options always seem to be greyed out and not available. Can anyone tell me how they get the xbox colors to look colory, and I have tried standard, intermediate, and extended blacks which are all about the same. Also, the framerate on xbox games is horribly low and choppy, should I change the 1080p setting down to 720p and then let the monitor scale it up? I think the graphics card in the xbox can't handle 1080p especially in GTA IV.

So how low can you see dark levels in DVI mode ? rgb (3,3,3) ?
Sorry I don't care about xbox and the likes ;)

For monitors I never use dynamic contrast. That is a TV feature that shouldn't even be on TVs, or anything for a matter of fact. Bright scenes shouldn't blind, and dark scenes shouldn't get darker. That's just my opinion.

That formula changes to 100% white at 100% backlight vs 0% white at 0% backlight. Even though it's more like dynamic brightness + contrast.

A number of monitors do lose a lot of contrast with lowered backlight. This wouldn't be such a big issue if backlights that didn't blind were used. I shouldn't have to change a monitor to zero brightness to get usable contrast + not be blinded.

Actually, I said "dark colors turn to black and become invisible" ie. black crush.

There are more low quality monitors out there these days than I'd like to count.

Regards,

10e

It's not as simple.

This is how so-called "dynamic contrast ratio" is calculated - a marketing trick to attract more attention. "Dynamic CR" in fact does not have physical sense.

Contrast ratio is brightness of white divided by brightness of black - both measured at a particular brightness of white.

Possible if you talk about a particular low quality monitor.

Incorrect if you talk in general.
1/2 contrast does not mean at all that "colors turn black and become invisible".
"Whiteness of white" depends on luminance of white and the quality of monitor electronics/parts - not on contrast ratio.

Thank you.

I can see down to 2,2,2 and read down to 4,4,4. This is in standard mode at 60 brightness and 50 contrast. Default is 90 brightness and 50 contrast.

Regards,

10e

So how low can you see dark levels in DVI mode ? rgb (3,3,3) ?
Sorry I don't care about xbox and the likes ;)

Use photo or movie mode. This will make the colors stronger if that is your preference. You shouldn't have to use 100 contrast on this screen. The old G2400W needed a bump up to about 60 or 66 contrast, but the V2400W doesn't and neither should the G2400WD.

Regards,

10e

Hmm, XBOX looks best at 100 contrast and 100 brightness. There is some bloom, but at least there is a little color. The colors still don't come out like on a CRT or my Sony 40" HDTV. The colors on the v2400 just look blah, the metals don't reflect and shine well and glowing things barely glow neon. The monitor is razor sharp, just wish I could get some color....

I have tried movie and photo mode which are no help, slightly different hues, but it is if I am watching an old tv with the color knob turned almost all the way down. I have tried both VGA and HDMI cables and still have the same problem. When I use my CRT, old Samsung 214T (slow PVA), or Sony 40" HDTV the colors are fine. Games on the XBOX usually have so much color they look like cartoons, like Devil may Cry and Ninja Gaiden. There is neon lights that glow with color normally, but are dull on the v2400. I just tried Call of Duty 4 on the PC DVI side and I got the same results. The red milk crates lying aroun are like a dull dingy almost red/grey. The cars which should almost be metallic neon and just a dark drabby green. I don't get why the whites are brighter than my Samsung 214T PVA panel, yet there is almost no color on this panel. There has to be a way to turn up the color, or did I get a bad panel? There are no dead pixels, minimal blb on the bottom, and I love the clarity and response time, but something must be wrong? Even in Halo 3 where you have blue and red metallic shiny men usually, they just aren't shiny, blue, and red enough? My old monitor let me move the R,G,B colors in the dynamic mode and that is probably what I need to do somehow on this monitor-is there any hidden settings or is this monitors colors just horrendously dull compared to other panels?

I will try out halo 3 on the V2400W and take an accurate photo to see if it's the same for you.

I do find in general on the 360 that color saturation is lower on HDMI and VGA in comparison to component, but I don't think it should look so dead from the sounds of it.

Regards,

10e

Back