BenQ S6 Tablet PC with 4.8" Touchscreen, Wi-Fi, MicroSD Slot and Windows XP for $60

Tempted, but I don't know what I'm going to do with it.....

Last edited:
benq s6 spec:

benq_s6_offspecs.jpg

13 hours left for the deal :)

I don't like the design of it overall, but for the price it's a steal.

Though like stated above, if I buy this, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it.

Anybody know if the RAM in this thing is upgradable?

I have 4 1 gig sticks of RAM at the house. If I can get more RAM in the thing and then drop W8 on it, I'd be a happy camper.

If I can do neither of those things, $60 is $60 too much.

Anybody know if the RAM in this thing is upgradable?

I have 4 1 gig sticks of RAM at the house. If I can get more RAM in the thing and then drop W8 on it, I'd be a happy camper.

If I can do neither of those things, $60 is $60 too much.

You can run W7. Don't know about W8, but it's worth a shot. RAM is not upgradable. The touchscreen on these is absolutely terrible if you are used to a modern Android/iOS device.

Thought about it hard but I think I'm going to pass. It can't do video out, and it's likely slower than my phone, so...

People are paying $50+ for those Raspberry Pi shipped. But granted they can do HD while this.....

If you can boot to the microSD, then you could install Windows 7/8 right?

I ordered it anyways. The case for my tablet PC cost more than this thing :D

One thing any cellphone can't do.

Lates 90s PC games in MY POCKET!

Fallout 2 IN MY POCKET

Baulder's Gate IN MY POCKET

Alpha Centauri IN MY POCKET

Half Life, Mafia, Deus Ex, Age of Empires, Civ3, commandos, total anihilation, diablo, leisure suit larry series, monkey island series, anything dosbox on cellphone is too slow for, gta3, warcraft 3, IN. MY. POCKET.

For a price that's cheaper than a used Nintendo DS or sony psp

also epsxe
http://touchscreen.biz.nf/

Last edited:
I could see an NES or SNES usb controller but everything you listed seems much to complex for this.

Fallout 2 IN MY POCKET

Half Life, Mafia, Deus Ex, Age of Empires, Civ3, commandos, total anihilation, diablo, leisure suit larry series, monkey island series, anything dosbox on cellphone is too slow for, gta3, warcraft 3, IN. MY. POCKET.

How would you actually play any those? Carry around a fold up USB hub, keyboard, and mouse in your pocket also?

EDIT: Just realized while reading what I posted that it came off kind of sarcastic. It is a completely serious and honest question. I am interested in the thing but I can't figure out what I would do with it....

Last edited:
I could see an NES or SNES usb controller but everything you listed seems much to complex for this.

How would you actually play any those? Carry around a fold up USB hub, keyboard, and mouse in your pocket also?

TOUCHÉ!

Fallout 2 IN MY POCKET

GTA3, Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate work fine on my Android tablet, I'm sure they'd work just as well on a phone with comparable hardware. You're probably not going to be playing much GTA 3 on this anyway, since the GPU is so underpowered and the CPU doesn't have enough headroom to pick up the slack, not to mention that you'd need to carry around a Bluetooth controller or something to even control it, since the screen doesn't support multitouch. Unless you need x86 for something specific, this isn't that exciting. The screen (both as an input device and as a display) is absolute garbage, and will have you wanting to tear out your hair after an hour or two if you are using it for anything serious.

Anyone know how much power these things suck? Seems like a waste as a portable computing device, as there's almost nothing it will do that I can't do on my cellphone. However, I have been looking for a computer to leave always on at my home as a kind of portal into my network. I'd like to have a computer I could RDP into remotely so I only have to leave a single port open on my firewall. From there I could WOL or navigate to anything on my network. I don't want to leave my desktop on while I'm gone and pay for the electricity it sucks. I've been eyeing booksize systems, but at $300, they are just not worth it. This just may be low power and compact enough to suit my needs. I just wish I knew for sure if win7 would run on it.

Last edited:
Can't you do a WOL from some routers? Remotely log into your home router and send a magic packet.

As interesting as this may sound I can't think of anything useful that can't be done without putting linux on your phone/tablet.

possible GPS for car + 1-2hour battery?

already have way too many gadgets... touchpad, netbook, kindle... going to pass.... oh well, would have bit if it had way better battery life

saw this before i went to bed last night and bought one real quick before i had time to sleep on it. for $60 i dont care if it end up being completely worthless, but i think i can probably find something fun to do with xp in my pocket.

id really like to use it as the brains of a portable MAME cab ive been trying to get ideas for, but no iea if thats feasible. im not sure how id output video to a screen, if i can somehow wire something or maybe output via usb?

There are USB to VGA / single link DVI adapters out there but I don't know what kind of latency those introduce. That's what killed this for me -- no video out. If it had MLH support so you could use the USB as a HDMI port that'd be one thing, but without that I have no interest.

THIS IS CONFIRMED TO BE LINUX. THERE WAS NO WINDOWS VERSION.

i just checked out the SD thread again and apparently everyone who emailed them was told the S6 on sale is running linux and not Windows. there is not a windows version that is 2GB, only the 8GB model. i cancelled my order and if anyone else was planning on using windows programs on theirs, i recommend you do the same while you can. if you are ok with trying to install windows on a 2GB card yourself and optimizing it and getting all the drivers working then it might still be ok for you. if you were counting on windows out of the box then cancel while you still can!

OP, maybe update the first post to warn people? i know the ONLY reason i bought this was because it ran windows...

It is going to be Linux.

• Operating system: Red Flag Midinux Linux

Can we install windows to the MicroSD card?

It is going to be Linux.

• Operating system: Red Flag Midinux Linux

Can we install windows to the MicroSD card?

you can if you can find a windows install less than 2GB and a way to install it. im not sure if the usb works natively and can boot from a usb optical drive, but i would assume this would work fine as long as you have an external power source for the drive. mine has 2 usb plugs for example, so id just plug the data one into the S6 and the power one into my laptop. it is confirmed that the usb wont supply enough power to use an external hdd with a single usb cable. or you can try booting from a usb thumb drive but ive always had trouble with that and didnt want to rely on it.

http://www.phonenews.com/deal-benq-s6-umpc-tablet-60-shipped-refurbished-20597/

Update, 12:45 PM: Daily Steals has responded to our request for information. They acknowledge that the item erroneously shipped with Windows XP, and actually includes Linux instead. If you wish to cancel your order, you should contact Daily Steals as soon as possible. Below is their response to our inquiry:
Thanks for contacting us.
Unfortunately when this product first went up, it did so with incorrect information that listed it as having Windows XP. We have since fixed the listing to display the correct information, and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have resulted in.
Because of this error, we are accepting cancellations for any buyers interested in doing so. They just need to e-mail us with their order numbers and we will cancel their shipments with a full refund applied.
I apologize again for the situation, and we are certainly willing to resolve it for any customer who wish to do so.

Just put TinyXP on it:

Statistics:

OPTION 1/2 (With IE/OE/WMP)
RAM Usage On First Installation............ 85 Mb
WINDOWS Folder............................. 561 Mb

OPTION 3/4 (Without IE/OE/WMP)
RAM Usage On First Installation............ 75 Mb
WINDOWS Folder............................. 517 Mb

OPTION 5/6 (BARE, With IE/OE/WMP)
RAM Usage On First Installation............ 60 Mb
WINDOWS Folder............................. 488 Mb

OPTION 7/8 (BARE, Without IE/OE/WMP)
RAM Usage On First Installation............ 50 Mb
WINDOWS Folder............................. 459 Mb

Use 16GB+ sd card for all other programs

again... how would you control the games? what input devices would you use to play them?

Using the touchscreen and autohotkey to remap the existing hardware buttons to keyboard commands per game
shits easy,liek 5-10min of work

Everyone is getting an email...

-------------------

Thank you for shopping with DailySteals.com! We are writing this email to inform you of an error that we discovered on the listing for the BenQ S6 Tablet PC. There are 2 versions of software on this item and the one we have for sale is the Linux based Operating system and not the Windows XP Operating system. The difference will not affect the functionality of the product but we felt it was important to notify our customers of this error.
At this point, we'd like to offer you 2 options:

We understand that this situation will undoubtedly cause you a great inconvenience and for that we'd like to offer you 2 options that we feel will rectify this unfortunate situation:

Option A- You can keep your order as is and it will be shipped out within the 6 business day time frame.

Option B- You can cancel your order and receive a full refund.

Please use the link below to make your selection:
ht://feedback.dailysteals.com/choice/11xxx

Please note that we do need a response from you by Monday, June 25, 2011 of receiving this email. In the event that a decision is not made, Option B will be selected by default.

There are USB to VGA / single link DVI adapters out there but I don't know what kind of latency those introduce. That's what killed this for me -- no video out. If it had MLH support so you could use the USB as a HDMI port that'd be one thing, but without that I have no interest.

unfortunately, those USB adapters run off the CPU... seeing that this is an atom, don't think you want to be loading the CPU with more stuff

i gotta say i do admire how they handled it. they realize they made a mistake and are refunding everyones order unless they go and specifically say that they do not want to cancel. just cancelled mine though. too bad, would have been pretty fun with windows in my pocket.

Back