BenQ releases XL2410T, their first 120 Hz monitor

Have you tried staring at a completely black background on your G2400WD in a pitch black room at brightness 100 and contrast 81? I doubt it, almost all TN panels have at least some visible backlight bleed under such conditions, put on a light and the backlight bleed would be hardly noticable anymore, at brightness 50 setting it compares to like my parent's Panasonic G10 plasma TV in black levels (ok lowering the brightness setting on it would make it perfect black but too dark overall), displays have a hard time to really produce perfect blacks in a pitch black room, even on my CRT I had to lower the brightness compared to what I thought was good for use under normal lightning conditions. I did also notice some "purple" blacks at bottom on some of the BenQ G2420HD that my school have recently bought.

Yes, I keep brightness at 70 in daily use and even at 100 there is virtually no backlight bleed that I can detect in a dark room and with a completely black screen image. Since it's a TN panel it's hard to tell exactly (some differences in brightness are to be expected depending on the viewing angle) but it certainly looks much, much better than the XL2410T photos I've seen so far.

The purple blacks you mentioned are probably just caused by poor viewing angles of the TN panel. If you move your head it should go away. I can notice something similar with my G2400WD: the black at the far left or right side of the screen can appear purplish or yellowish at times (in a dark room), but it's just the viewing angle, the backlighting itself is uniform.

If you look around at the other 120Hz displays you should quickly notice it's got a little backlight bleed. 120Hz displays need to be brighter cuz of the 3D vision glasses and therefore you're gonna get more BLB overall on 120Hz displays (doesn't mean every1 has to have a lot of BLB though). Don't compare BLB to your standard 60Hz, compare it to the other 120Hz displays. Most of you would never use anything close to 100 brightness setting on a display like this or you'd get eye-fatigue or headache, for many even 50 would be too much to use so then I doubt the BLB will be noticable at all, the person that posted the BLB pics actually uses 100 brightness LOL and said he had not noticed any backlight bleed when he used it normally in a lit-up room.

I don't always use my monitor in a lit room and any amount of backlight bleed is annoying when watching movies or videos with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I've also noticed I like to keep my monitor brightness higher than most other people. But it's possible the photos exaggerate the bleed so I'm going to keep my eyes open for reviews.

Who cares the whatever backlight bleeding thing, I just want a 0 input lag 120Hz monitor for gaming. As long as it can display my enemy clearly at 640*480 it's fine. All these 120Hz LCDs are too expensive and too big, 17 inch is more than enough to play. FFS why people don't produce CRT anymore, they are perfect.

If you think CRT is perfect why not just buy a used trinitron? ;)

Let me guess, finding a good CRT today that's in good shape is getting a bit difficult? I would use a CRT if they would still be produced but since they aren't I accepted the fact CRT is dead (newest trinitron CRTs are from 2004-2005 and that's already like 5 years and trinitron CRTs get their probs with time, excess brightness/colors look dull after a coldstart, geometry issues, overbrightness issue and risk of breaking down alltogether and finding CRTs that aren't abused by scratches today as no1 handles them with that much care anymore etc) and moved on to the best I can get out of LCDs atm, a 120Hz TN panel.

Last edited:
If you think CRT is perfect why not just buy a used trinitron? ;)

Tha answer is in your question already, "used" trinitron. : <

First, I want brand new monitor, which then works like 7-10 years. Most importantly, my wife forbids me buying second hand monitor for my new desktop.
Second, used CRTs always have some problems (high frequency sounds, scratched screen, etc.), it's hard to find flawless used CRTs.
Thrid, all CRTs are basically more than 6 years old now, which won't last too long before they die.

I bought a used trinitron monitor in early 2007 and its produced in 2000. It seems flawless as far as I can tell except for bad geometry. Im only considering a 120Hz TN bec. of power consumption, space, portability etc. Dont know anything about how much it was used but maybe I was lucky.

Ugh... 1920x1080 again. Why, why why?
Please show them theres a market for 1920x1200@120hz, by suggesting one 1920x1200 120hz.

http://www.benq.us/support/contact/index.cfm?region=78&query=1
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/customer-service/
http://www.theacerguy.com/contact-me/
http://www.lg.com/uk/support/contact/support-message.jsp
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/cus_suggest.aspx
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/form/formmail/common/common_usa_prod4.jsp?SITE_ID=1
[email protected]

and dont forget zero input lag, 1:1 option, adjustable sharpness and overdrive, LED backlit and adjustable height stand *win*

1920x1200-vs-1920x1080-anandtech-anim-smaller.gif

I bought a used trinitron monitor in early 2007 and its produced in 2000. It seems flawless as far as I can tell except for bad geometry. Im only considering a 120Hz TN bec. of power consumption, space, portability etc. Dont know anything about how much it was used but maybe I was lucky.
I bought a few 22" (19.7" viewable) lacie electron CRT monitors used and they have been very good. If you take care of them they will last a long while.

Picked up this monitor today... got a few small issues that annoy me, the OSD that pops up when I start a game that is not in 1920x1080 resolution. Any way to disable it?
Second little issue is that I can't find any decent brightness/contrast settings :| really hard to see things in the dark without having settings that makes the game look terribly washed out.

any questions about the monitor feel free to ask btw!

1. Try the Windows 7 display calibration tool thats built in, under personalize when you right click the desktop.

2. Calibrate your monitor through the OSD with this site http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/, try the Contrast, Black Level, and Saturation Test.

3. If calibration is not acceptable with OSD of your monitor, try the settings within your nvidia / ati control panel to adjust brightness, contrast, and gamma.

Not a pro at calibrating but i've been doing it through this method for a while, and have yet to find a monitor i couldn't calibrate as well as a professional tool, or professional user.

I went by the Lagom guide but it just gets so dark when I do that... haha, I guess I'm missing something! or maybe just too spoiled because of having used two IPS monitors before :(

If you are playing video games with really dark scenes or even watching movies with really dark scenes, you most likely will be missing out on some details if you are using a TN type display. I believe it is a combination of things but one thing that affects details on a TN display, with regards to dark scenes, is the 6 Bit processing. I could be wrong on that but I have used IPS displays as well and in comparison to a TN display... well, dark scenes will always look better on an IPS display.

I play Bad Company 2 a lot and on my 120Hz display, which is a first generation Viewsonic display, I have noticed on a particular map inside a Tower... where it is really dark... I lose ALL DETAIL... when I hook up my FW900 I see all that detail... but I LOVE my 120Hz display...

I want to buy a new generation 120Hz display though... this Benq has me intrigued that is for sure... I have yet to see any US retailers selling it though...

so it's that bad huh :( well I'll just have to get used to it then I suppose, it's not terrible since I play most stuff on quite low settings anyway.

edit: while we're at it... is there any way to like get the foot lower than the default setting.. like a replacement stand or something? it really is a bit high for me

cheers

Last edited:
Raise your seat :)
Lower your table :)

I am waiting on seeing an in depth review on the XL2410T, or is there one out that I don't know of?

I bought a few 22" (19.7" viewable) lacie electron CRT monitors used and they have been very good. If you take care of them they will last a long while.

Haha man i just got lucky.
Someone in my workplace threw away an iiyama vision master pro 454, and I took it for free. They used it carefully so there's no scratch or anything. It's around 4 years old, so at least I can use it for another good 5 years I hope.
A n1ce day : )

Looks like "that four lettered store who's name is awfully close to a CBS TV show" has them, though the catch is it only shows in the Canadian store, switch to the US and it's not there. Hopefully soon though...

Hey xeefus, what monitors did you have before? Also, could you post any pics of the backlight bleed and gradient change? I'm really hoping this monitor winds up better than the Alienware.

I believe this is definitely going to be better than the Alienware, as it will be newer to the market and especially since it will be the first with LED back lighting as far as I'm knowledgeable of, or am I wrong?

Hey xeefus, what monitors did you have before? Also, could you post any pics of the backlight bleed and gradient change? I'm really hoping this monitor winds up better than the Alienware.

I'll have to charge my camera batteries then, so if you haven't found any you'll have to wait a little... I'm not too picky about backlight bleeding and so when it's for gaming

I've had Samsung 206BW, a few Diamondtron/Trinitron CRT's, tried 2233RZ and VX2268WM for quite some time, also some 19" LCDs that probably weren't made to be played games on anyway.

Benq XL2410T def is the faster one of the 120Hz LCD bunch, but not really by far, just noticable compared to the 2233RZ/VX2268WM- though CRTs do feel just a little bit faster, not sure if it's just me or if it actually is.. technically it should be but I dunno. I haven't done any other tests than having both connected at the same time and cloning, switching between them etc. all set to 1280x720 120Hz

sorry for bad structure grammar etc but it's Sunday so I hope you'll be nice to me

The real reason for 1920x1080 is the same reason that monitors were originally 1920x1200 - that's the easiest and most economical size to manufacture. 1920x1200 was an artifact of the size and dimension of the glass sheets used for LCD fabbing. Since monitor manufacturing has moved on to newer fabs, the TNs and e-IPS are easier and cheaper to produce in that resolution / aspect ratio. In this market segment (cheap / affordable monitors) it never was about what a small segment of knowledgeable consumers really want - the largest driving force is the economics of mass manufacturing.

On topic - I see the very first US site listing the Benq XL2410T. Hopefully its commonly available soon. I noticed that every single Benq monitor at Newegg is out of stock, and I was worried that they had withdrawn from the US monitor market.

Where do you see it at a US reseller? Google only brings up one and it's Canadian only.

Where do you see it at a US reseller? Google only brings up one and it's Canadian only.

Same , there isn't a US listing because BenQ doesn't sell much if anything in the US directly anymore. 3rd party company's have to import to be able to buy it in the states (which none of them seem to do).

Same , there isn't a US listing because BenQ doesn't sell much if anything in the US directly anymore. 3rd party company's have to import to be able to buy it in the states (which none of them seem to do).

^^ What kind of conclusions should people infer from that?

So is this the best 120Hz screen currently?

If youre not fine with a glossy surface (like many others) this is prob. the best monitor. I havent found any proffessional reviews with input lag tests/ghosting but ive read alot of user comments which no one complains about the monitor being slow or having visable ghosting. When it comes to pic quality the Asus seems maybe a bit better, hard to tell.

So in conclusion, most probably, yes. =p

It's all first generation, but there won't be a second generation if there isn't too many early adopters. There probably isn't.

I'll buy the best available when I build my next PC, and I hope a 27" second generation screen will be available by then. I want something to last me until OLED or something else replaces LCD altogether (could be 10 years).

Any comments on the lightbleed? I had a very bad taste from the lightbleed of TN monitors with samsung 2233RZ, the whole goddamn screen was affected at least to some degree by the lightbleed. I just had to get rid of it.

Looking forward to one now that I jumped to a GTX 580. I'll miss my extra real estate, but I'm curious to play with 3D a bit.

So is this the best 120Hz screen currently?

This is not going to be just the best. This is going to be EPIC!

I believe this should be available in the U.S. early or mid December.... :*( I know... so late... i have no idea why

Don't get too excited as people in Sweden say it has ghosting and blacklight bleed, as it must be an edge-lit LED monitor. Take a look at the reviews for other Benq LED monitors - not so hot.

BLB, isn't that much of an issue on this BenQ despite it being REALLY bright and the brighter display the more BLB. There's some users who thought it was too bright even at brightness setting "0" that isn't used to bright LCD displays... so turn down brightness to at least 30 unless you're going to play in 3D (which you should if you want it correctly calibrated, anything over 50 is too much at least) or so and you probably won't see any significant bleed prolly in a dark room either if it's barely visible at 50.

I'm more worried about the colors myself if the LED backlight are oversaturating the colors a bit too much (green becomes limegreen etc), that's what I've seen hints of in the videos and pictures of a user in the swedish forum.

Last edited:
Don't get too excited as people in Sweden say it has ghosting and blacklight bleed, as it must be an edge-lit LED monitor. Take a look at the reviews for other Benq LED monitors - not so hot.

I think BLB is an exaggerated concern... How is it possible that there is ghosting on the XL2410T..... it's 120hz I have read that it's stabler at 110hz or 100hz

My mistake, I thought that Canadian company was a US store. I guess it's not coming to the US any time soon.

Ordered. Came to a total of $423. If flatpanelshd.com finds any glaring problems with it in their review before it ship's i'll just cancel. I hope it's as good as I am expecting it to be.

FlatPanelsHD seems to be awfully slow at publishing the article, It's been like a week already...

Back