BenQ new VW2420/EW2420 VA panel with LED backlight.

I just can't wrap my head around the VA shifting issue, whether it would be an issue for me or not. At this point I'm considering just buying one as long as reviews don't show some negative issue like ghosting. If I don't like it I'll just return it and eat the restocking fee. The VA blacks and 3000:1 contrast ratio is just so seductive to me and holds so much promise for image quality awesomeness as long as contrast shift or ghosting doesn't ruin it.

Yeah this. I simply cannot watch movies on my ZR24w because of the poor contrast, so I'm really tempted by this display.

This sounds VERY promising!!!!!

"Verdict: 4 stars out of 5 - Excellent contrast and great viewing angles, but colours are a little cold and power consumption isn't as low as other LED monitors.

In the VW2420H's case, the panel has an 8ms response time. Although this may sound a lot worse than the 2ms times of many TN panels, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Watching our test videos, including a mix of 24, 25 and 30fps material, we certainly didn't notice any ghosting during fast-paced sequences. Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, we saw a tiny amount of blurring when panning, but nothing that would cause even avid gamers concern.

We also saw the 3:000:1 native contrast ratio in action: blacks were much deeper and more convincing than on any LED TN panel we've seen. Plus, colours were bolder and more saturated. Viewing angles are better, too, but BenQ has opted for an unusual coating which is half way between matt and gloss, so reflections tend to take over the more you move off centre; the same is true in dark scenes in games and movies."
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1280296/benq-vw2420h

Nice to see BenQ returning to the mid-range segment. They have been always offering excellent price/performance ratio.

it's time for me to pension old Benq FP241w ...

this new Benq VW2420H will be the worthy substitute of FP241W?

Considering::: Contrast , colours and view angles ????

Thanks, that was a good read.

Looks like they went the semi-matte coating, as it looked like in the chinese unbox photos, I like that if done right.

Wish I had more data to interpret their complaint about the color temps and the fact they only compared it to TN LED panels.

Seeing those gallery pics makes me cringe on cable management. Such a nice thin panel but horribad inputs. I guess it screams a thin right-angle HDMI connector (DVIs are much thicker) and I don't quite understand the external power adapter because the ACD can go almost as thin just fine. Or, since they have an external adapter anyhow, why not put the inputs with the adapter and have a single elegant cable run up.

If it really did have good PQ I have a workstation where I could try and figure out a nice wallmount solution and it would just involve a few small wall punches. Wouldn't be bad with the thin panel flush against the wall. EDIT: nevermind, looks like the stem is built into the bezel. What a shame.

The quoted price is remarkably low. I wonder if we'll see this panel in other mfgs..

Hi there,

While searching for further reviews of the EW/VW2420, I came across a third version with the same panel: BL2400PT. For those who may be interested, the difference is that it has a matte frame and a better stand with a pivot function.

If the reviews are good, I will finally replace my old ...Benq 19", which is becoming a bit small but is still very good with its VA panel.

Hi there,

While searching for further reviews of the EW/VW2420, I came across a third version with the same panel: BL2400PT. For those who may be interested, the difference is that it has a matte frame and a better stand with a pivot function.

If the reviews are good, I will finally replace my old ...Benq 19", which is becoming a bit small but is still very good with its VA panel.

Thanx for this info. I am very tempted to buy this monitor aftr the great reviews.

I think I will buy this BL2400T though cause I like to raise the stand.

The E series is avaliable for 310$ @ NClX Canada, I would loveto test/calibrate one of these if the response is indeed improved sense all the reviews thus far have 0 technical information and are pretty much useless other then saying they are good.

Except I allready have 2 monitors, maybe Ill cave

No reviews of this thing that aren't crap? Like ones that actually use a colorimeter/spectrophotometer?

I think I will buy this BL2400T though cause I like to raise the stand.

If that is the same monitor just with a different stand, then... according to the BenQ site:

"...monitors feature an anti-glare, matte-finish..."

http://www.benq.com/products/product_detail.cfm?product=1735&pltag=3&ptag=273

Curiously, on the info pages of the other monitors nothing is mentioned of them having AG coating or being matte or glossy...

Regarding the 2420's being semi-gloss/semi-matte, do we have / can we get real confirmation on that?

The BL is 530$ here, compared to the Samsung F2380MX which is 330$ and almost has as many ergonomic features.

300$ is more then most monitors except for the 120hz/24" 16:10 panels so I wouldn't say its cheap.

The BL also seems to have built in speakers which might account for it's higher price.

A biased review to put it mildly which misses some logic. Example:
The claimed native contrast ratio is 3000:1 and our Chroma meter measured this to be 783:1 which is really good.
Either they don't know how to measure it correctly, or the manufacturer is downright lying. 3000:1 and 783:1 is no-where close and taking this in consideration, the measurement is not anywhere near good. It's not even within tolerance, it's cheating.

Old AMVA panels in NEC 24WMGX and Benq 241 had also contrast ratio around 800:1...
Hopefully that was just a mistake there :(

Most of their other contrast measurements are way off compared to other sites. For example the highest contrast they have measured is on the Dell U2711 which in reality has one of the lower contrast ratios out there, and they measured it to be higher then the U2311H which is impossoble. What makes things worse is that they are measuring contrast at the peak luminance, making them as worthless as Cnets measurements.

Besides the japanese sites measured 0.06cd/m2 black depth at 220cd/m2 brightness which is exactly the same as Samsungs recent VA panels.

Oh well at least they confirm that the motion performance is good.

Regarding pricing, the BL2400PT is really cheap here in Switzerland. Around $300.-
For example: http://www.powerch.com/Others.1/Benq.364/9H.L4RLB.SBE/BL2400PT+61cm+24%22+ANA%25252FDIG.216891.html?language=en

Regarding measured contrast, the numbers sound ok to me when compared to other affordable non TN screens like the HP ZR24W (around 500:1) or the similar measured contrast in the Dell U2311H and NEC EA231WMi (around 900:1). Of course there is the Samsung F2380 which really has 3000:1 contrast ratio but is useless because of the black crush.

Personally, I am more afraid about the colour problem mentionned by the PCWorld review saying colour is too cold (7000k) and cannot be corrected even after calibration. A similar colour temperature issue was also mentionned in the review by it168: colour temperature varied from 6295K to 8066K on a grey gradient. That would mean no matter how you set the average colour temperature, all the light shades will be bluish, or the dark shades redish.

... So for me it's still wait and see. Maybe a more serious review will help.

I'm pretty sure I will be getting one od the E series now and will provide all color present measurements, pixerpixan reusults and contrast measurements. I will post calibrated settings like I have done with my other reviews on H as well.

I am more afraid about the colour problem ... colour is too cold (7000k) and cannot be corrected even after calibration ... That would mean no matter how you set the average colour temperature, all the light shades will be bluish, or the dark shades redish..

I could be totally wrong here in my thinking... but, shouldn't you be able to correct/counter that with QuickGamma...?

I think to buy a EW2420 for a friend and make the calibration with the EyeOne2.

Some things...

The BL2400PT have a TN panel, not the VA. :-\

The low static contrast ratio measurement of 783:1 opposite to the declared 3000:1...
It's a big difference but can be (at least in part) explained by the brightness regulation.
They probably do the measurement at 100% brightness.
This is not very correct because contrast level is related to brightness.
You can have N:1 contrast at 100 cd/m2 and M:1 contrast at 200 cd/m2.

RGB LEDs is not possibile in this price range.
Because RGB LEDs means also "direct LED" = high price and power consumption
All these monitors are "edge type" WLED.

@miomao: you are not right, oled is right on this, BENQ BL2400PT IS a VA monitor

link: http://benq.eu/products/LCD/index.cfm/page/specifications/product/1211

quote from the specs:
"Features

VA Panel with LED Technology
Height adjustable stand
Senseye® Human Vision Technology (plus Senseye 3)
HDCP Support
OSD Language: 17 languages
Windows 7® compatible
K locker: yes
Speaker: 1W x 2
Light Sensor
Proximity Sensor"

And for the price of 237 euros that it is offered in Europe, is also a very interesting one. As for the contrast, in the past Eizo 2333, also achieved a native contrast of 3000:1 also with a VA (although P-VA panel) so even if it is around 2500, it will still be one of the best ratios out there.

I have confidence in the panel itself, my only worry is how good a job did BENQ do with the electronics. If you take the Eizo models for example, which always have panels from other manufacturers, the outcome is very good to perfect.

For those who are not aware of this, Eizo 2333 and Samsung 2380 had the exact same panel (made by samsung), but the Eizo had no black crush, and was considered by flatpanleshd, as a monitor suitable for graphics work. So the panels are one thing and the electronics another. I am just hopping that BL2400PT will manage to perform as anticipated, especially in the electronics part, so that I can save some money from buying the Dell 2311H which has a very low contrast.....

Anyone else sharing the same thought?

Where are the trusted reviews when you need them? Why is it taking so long? It not a world of IPS and TN only, there is also VA. Coming from an Eizo 1931, I really can appreciate a good VA panel, especially for a TN price....

I will be getting one soon, so fear not!

I'm guessing I will be able to get the contrast over 4,000:1 depending on the brightness value as the black crush free F2380MX can go over 4000:1 if I set the brightness to around 110cd/m2 and the japanese sites have reported identical peakbrightness/black depth as the MX (220cd/m2, 0.06cd/m2 black depth).

I have the EV2333W and it is the height of desirability for movies and games. The 2209WA and U2311 I've used are respectable, but this PVA Eizo is just stunning - the only limitation is the gamma shift.

If you want multimedia performance in a monitor, so far my highest recommendation is for the Eizo EV233 models and the new FORIS. Whether the BenQ models will have the right performance is unknown at the moment.

Edit - I'm currently experiencing gamma shift stereo issues with my monitor and am investigating the best response to the issue.

Last edited:
The low static contrast ratio measurement of 783:1 opposite to the declared 3000:1...
It's a big difference but can be (at least in part) explained by the brightness regulation.
They probably do the measurement at 100% brightness.
This is not very correct because contrast level is related to brightness.
You can have N:1 contrast at 100 cd/m2 and M:1 contrast at 200 cd/m2.
Contrast only illustrates the panel's ability to block light. It doesn't matter whether it's 200 or 100 nits at full brightness - i,e, the black level will be twice as high, when the intensity of the white image is doubled. So i'm not sure i follow you :)
Some variation due to temperature difference may occur, and small deviations from the probe too may affect the CR slightly - but a factor of nearly 4 i have never ever seen.

I'm with NCX on this one - something must be wrong with their method of measuring contrast or they mixed up the monitor model numbers and measure the performance of something else. I might have overreacted somewhat, but it was just pretty surprising it seemed like the large deviation didn't bother them.

The output from S2243 i briefly owned wasn't very pretty and featured loads of black crush - from the FPHD review of EV2333 (i don't own it, so can't really comment) the gamma shift problems seem to still exist just as before, but indeed less black crush exists. So no, i'm not a terrible big fan of VA and certainly not at what Eizo charges (here), but the BenQ monitors with the AUO panels seem to be hard to beat for the money, and maybe they found a way to tweak the gamma response.

The output from S2243 isn't very pretty and features loads of black crush - the EV2333 shows the exact same gamma shift problems, but slightly less black crush indeed (according to FPHD images). So no, i'm not a terrible big fan of VA and certainly not at what Eizo charges, but the BenQ monitors with the AUO panels seem to be hard to beat for the money, and maybe they found a way to tweak the gamma response.

Black 2-2-2 is differentiated head-on on my EV23. Only the first shade of black is not visible head on - but it is almost completely undetectable from the side. This is a superb result from the factory along with white point and gamma.

Edit - I'm currently experiencing gamma shift stereo issues with my monitor and am investigating the best response to the issue.

Last edited:
I agree, it definitely is if all of the shades follow the gamma curve. Gamma shifts still shows in the images though (as a function of viewing angle) and that's what drove me nuts to begin with. Interesting that they're still selling the S2243 - the EV2333 costs less and performs better it seems :D

But ok, on topic - i'm really looking forward to hear user reviews about the EW2420 - it's healthy with some competition - not that i think Samsung does a bad job or takes advantage right now, though.

I could be totally wrong here in my thinking... but, shouldn't you be able to correct/counter that with QuickGamma...?

Well. I'm no expert at this either. I think you should be able to correct this by applying different gamma curves for each color channel on the graphics card. But it seems this often leads to loosing some colors in the process. Missing colours would then show up for example as banding on gradients.

This is why I would rather get a monitor that has a good factory settings.

You are right.
I've found erroneous specs about the BenQ BL2400PT.
So BenQ have three models with VA + LED...

About contrast ratio measurement...
I know that the contrast is "native" in the panel. But this is not the only variable in a LCD monitor.
The backlight implementation, "tuning" and control can make the difference.
This explain why the same panel in different monitors let measure different contrast.
I'm pretty sure that contrast is not always constant from 0% to 100% brightness.
You can read in some review.

About Eizo EV2333...
I'm a big fan of this brand and can confirm they have quality electronics and robust software.
I think the only mainstream brand can compete is Nec.

What you can tell about LED backlight PWM driving?
I've read that it can cause some eyes irritation in sensible people.
I'm a bit scared because I'm a heavy PC user... :-\

Ehm, sorry for my english. :)

Arg. I'd pull the trigger on a pre-order if there were any indication of input lag numbers. It looks hot, but responsiveness and lag are a big question mark for me. I've had several bad VA experiences in the past, all resulting in a return for refund ... hoping BenQ can turn things around.

Invading Europe today, apparently.

Last edited:
Back